Gen Chem Preparation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bella_dottoressa

make it happen
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys; I'm thinking of spending some time reviewing and relearning gen chem for the mcat. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on the best way to do this. I have my gen chem book, which is pretty good I think, the Brown Lemay and Burston one plus the study guide that comes with that... I also have the kaplan review book. I was thinking the EK 1001 book, too. Everyone, share how you prepped. Thanks alot! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by crystal18mc
Hi guys; I'm thinking of spending some time reviewing and relearning gen chem for the mcat. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on the best way to do this. I have my gen chem book, which is pretty good I think, the Brown Lemay and Burston one plus the study guide that comes with that... I also have the kaplan review book. I was thinking the EK 1001 book, too. Everyone, share how you prepped. Thanks alot! :)

I used EK Chemistry and felt it did a good job covering the chemistry on the MCAT. It has MCAT style passages at the end of each lecture which helps to reinforce the material covered. The Kaplan books are good also, but tend to go into more detail and a bit more in-depth than needed. Getting the EK 1001 book would help also as it gives further reinforcement of the basics.

I think a pretty good plan would be to get a quick run through of the material and take a practice test to determine your weaknesses. You can use EK 1001 to help you reinforce your weak points, go back through EK or Kaplan or whatever review books you decide to use to further understand the topics, and then do more practice tests. Your textbook might come in handy if there are some topics that EK or Kaplan just breezes through and you don't feel comfortable with.