All Branch Topic (ABT) Gen Chiarelli TBI Story in Politico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aklark

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The Politico article apparently is an excerpt from Howard Schultz' (Starbucks' CEO) book that some other guy wrote for him about veterans or something.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/12/general-chiarellis-brain-crusade-113827.html

The writing style of this piece reminds me a bit of the superhuman, hero-worship style that Greg Mortensen's ghostwriter used to write Three Cups of Tea, and we all know how that turned out.

I found this excerpt very interesting because it seems like a fairly instructive example of the chasm between the military medical community and the line. The general is impressed by pictures and graphs that may or may not actually mean something and simplistic comparisons to fixing a truck. He unilaterally decides that PTSD is not a "disorder." He views physicians and researchers as cloistered eggheads. It's ironic, because everyone's end goal - making injured troops better - is undoubtedly shared.

I'm mostly curious how the experienced folks on this site view his account of getting totally rebuffed by everyone at Walter Reed. Seems unbelievable to me. At the very least, the doctors' side is not reported.

The Atlantic also has a long, thought provoking piece if you've got a long flight coming up...

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/12/the-tragedy-of-the-american-military/383516/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
"Some of the finest officers I knew were lieutenants who knew they were getting out, so weren’t afraid to make the right decision. I know an awful lot of senior officers who are very afraid to make a tough choice because they’re worried how it will look on their fitness report."

Sigh...

Thanks for the Atlantic article @aklark , that was a great albeit sobering read.