gen. Peds vs. subspecialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mdd81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a third year medical student and I am interested in pediatrics. I really enjoy well-visits with the kids. However, I also have an interest in deafness and for a moment considered ENT. If I were to combine my two joys how would the daily activities ofa pediatrican change? Would ENT dominate my pediatric population?
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't quite understand the question. Are you considering doing a pediatrics residency and an ENT residency and doing a joint practice or are you wondering what kind of pediatric work you would do as an ENT?

Ed

Members don't see this ad :)
Pediatric ENT is the perfect specialty (along with urology maybe) for someone who wants to work with children, has an interest in a surgical career, but do not want their careers dominated by time in the OR, but rather spend time in clinic as well.

Most pediatric ENT docs have clinic a few days a week and then have dedicated days of the week for OR time. Their surgical procedures run the mill as complicated as things such as head and neck tumors and facial reconstruction and simple as myringotomy tubes. They do a lot of bedside procedures in the ER, PICU, and NICU, such as various types of scopes, abscess drainages, fibroscopic intubations, sinus aspiration, and foreign body removal.

In clinic, you will have a lot of general pediatrics problems, such as allergies and sinusitis, OSA, and sometimes even asthma.

To train, you need to do get into an ENT residency first, which is the hard part. After that, it is very easy to get into a pediatric ENT fellowship. They also have fellowships in neurotology if you were specifically interested in deafness.

Thanks for all the replys!
Sorry Ed if was confusing. I am considering an pediatric otolaryngology program. Or doing a General Pediatrics residency followed by an ENT fellowship (if there is such a thing).

Pediatric medical subspecialties follow a three-year pediatrics residency (eg, pediatrics followed by fellowship in cardiology, ER, heme-onc, etc). For all surgical fields (as well as pathology, anesthesia, and radiology), you must first train in that surgical field and then do additional training in taking care of kids (eg, ortho or ent residency followed by peds ortho/peds ent fellowship).