general anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xkurkox

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got my #32 out yesterday. Before he put me to sleep he told me that I don?t need to specialize in oral surgery to administer general anesthesia and that I can do a year of residency and become certified. He also told me that there is a big niche for a general dentist with this certification. Have any of you heard of this before?

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck if you want to consider general anes. You're asking for trouble if you do it! If you have cases like that, do what I do and hook up with an OS and let their CNA do the anesthesia part. I did one last week on a 20yo patient with mild MR, combative disorder, etc. Completed 9 RCTs in 42 minutes (I love rotary endo....). A good service if you want to do it.

Now if you're talking about IV sedation, you can get that without a specialty. Takes a whole lot of classes, a whole lot more malpractice insurance, but can get some of those patients in the door that otherwise would never get their work done. Seems like too much of a hassle for me, but there are some dentists I know, besides surgeons, that do quite well from it.

You did 9 RCTs in 42 minutes? DANG. I would be flying to get 2 done in that time, even extracted teeth I don't think I could do that many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If my math is right, thats like 3000 bucks in a matter of 42 minutes. In that case, all I have to do is work roughly 230 hours and I would be a millionare and could retire and live on my 5.4% interest off a cd. That would be 54000 a year for just sitting flat on my arse and fishing all day, man thats the life!!!! Now if I can just squeeze by these dang boards

Members don't see this ad :)
Had my xrays before hand and put a rubber dam on #23-31 and just started. Actually it's really easy to do that with rotary and not having to fight a patient whatsoever. When all was said and done.... 11 RCTs, 16 Crowns, gingivectomies, 4 post spaces and temps in 3 hours. Total $$ = $17K. Wish I had more of these cases. As I said, I had a CNA do the general anesthesia, monitor the patient and take the liability for it. I just did the dentistry. Why would I want that extra burden? I made enough cash that day....

you gotta count those anterior teeth as 1/2 root canals though... :D ...you should be able to do all of those w/o rotary instruments in like 10 minutes... :)