General Cards Placing Devices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medmess09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi- Currently AMG 2nd year cardiology fellow considering EP vs Invasive vs Non-invasive +/- Devices-->

I know that's pretty schizo. I have a hard time grasping what I want to do with my career but I do see my self generally working in a medium to small size town in a private practice setting or associated hospital system.
I've been considering doing EP and the EP PD essentially has offered me a spot for a year and a half (6 months of 3rd year with 1 year extra) so as long I make a decision within the next month or so- he also is allowing me to consider just doing devices for 6 months my 3rd year.

I'm wondering how marketable and feasible is it do be a non-EP/non-invasive guy that does devices with level II echo/Nuc/CT versus doing diagnostic cath (which I know there are plenty of interventionists out there that would be happy to do)? Anyone hear of successful general cards doing devices?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi- Currently AMG 2nd year cardiology fellow considering EP vs Invasive vs Non-invasive +/- Devices-->

I know that's pretty schizo. I have a hard time grasping what I want to do with my career but I do see my self generally working in a medium to small size town in a private practice setting or associated hospital system.
I've been considering doing EP and the EP PD essentially has offered me a spot for a year and a half (6 months of 3rd year with 1 year extra) so as long I make a decision within the next month or so- he also is allowing me to consider just doing devices for 6 months my 3rd year.

I'm wondering how marketable and feasible is it do be a non-EP/non-invasive guy that does devices with level II echo/Nuc/CT versus doing diagnostic cath (which I know there are plenty of interventionists out there that would be happy to do)? Anyone hear of successful general cards doing devices?

I know a program in Mid West that picks a fellow each year and jump starts their curriculum with all devices placed during his/her 3rd year. As per PD, EP guy, etc; If you manage enough devices under your belt you may end up doing them but mainly in rural areas. Still, they acknowledged that insurance companies, etc; are more willing to cover your liability issues, reimbursement, etc; if you are EP trained and certified. So, I'd say is a matter of gambling.

There are plenty of general cardiologists who place PPMs (not so much ICDs) but I think these are from the older days. I've done about 30 PPMs/ICDs during my EP months and feel pretty comfortable doing them but probably won't be with the job I've taken. In other words I think it's very possible if it's something you want to do.

I think with the way things are shaking out with insurance companies, etc., in the future years, you may want to consider just doing EP if it's something you are interested in and if you can only spend 1 extra year doing it. Either way, it sounds like your fellowship is offering you a great deal - I didn't have such options.