General Chemistry and Organic chemistry grades and getting in.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbjmo24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To start off I am a post cc student. My undergrad was in marketing communications and media management. I am currently taking prerequisite courses. I am finishing up the second semester of general chemistry this summer (2014) and can already tell that I will probably come out with a C-or D+. In the first part of general chemistry I got a C. I am currently treading with a 2.0 in the BCPM courses as I have only taken 1 prerequisite and got a C. I did not include the math and 2science courses from my undergrad which were C in Math and B in Biology(not the correct prerequisite). And a B in A&P. I have studied some organic chem materials and taken a few practice tests I understand the material I have practiced so far and scored pretty high on practice tests. I will be taking organic chem 1 in the fall along with 2 biology courses and a general chemistry lab pt. 1 ( by the way my labs are split from the lecture/ recitation part of the course). My main concern is the general chemistry part 2 course. The grade is really low and I calculate probably a D. Should I retake it later? Did I ruin my chances as a post bacc of getting in med school (md or do)? Why do I understand organic chemistry and biology so well, yet I literally scream and get frustrated with the general chemistry and sometimes math courses? What should I do?

If this helps, in regards to my question about getting in med school, I have had 2 leadership positions in 1 prominent medical organization I was a national leader for the group for internal medicine and I am the founder and president of a campus organization. I work with children(job) I have mentored, taught English to refugees and have done research in drug behavior and neuroscience on an animal model. Along with other ECs my main concern is the grades for general chemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be taking organic chem 1 in the fall along with 2 biology courses and a general chemistry lab pt. 1 ( by the way my labs are split from the lecture/ recitation part of the course). ?

Will this be too much??

I would say that with those grades as it stands, your chances are slim. Successful matriculants are for the most part A/B+ students. Your EC's sound great, but they will only help support an application with solid numbers. Before continuing to risk doing any more GPA damage, I would suggest figuring out why you're doing poorly in chem and math based courses. You'll see much more math in physics down the road, as well as the manual calculations you'll have to do on the MCAT; perhaps you could benefit from a remedial algebra course. As a post-bacc, the general consensus is that B's no longer get it done, even in the difficult courses. While having one in the mix of all your courses might not be a death blow, having a mix of B's and C's likely will be.

Anyway, your current grades don't mean that all hope is lost, but I don't see you being admitted continuing this trend and without retaking any C's in pre-req coursework.

As of right now, your medical career is dead in the water. Retake all F/D/C science coursework. Regarding your ECs , not even a Nobel Prize will salvage your GPA. Med schools would be doing you no favors by admitting you, since you have yet to demonstrate that you can handle a rigorous curriculum.

For MD schools, B's do not cut it. You need to ace everything from now on. For DO school's you're in a better position once you retake your courses and do better, thanks to AACOMAS' grade replacement policy.

My main concern is the general chemistry part 2 course. The grade is really low and I calculate probably a D. Should I retake it later? Did I ruin my chances as a post bacc of getting in med school (md or do)? Why do I understand organic chemistry and biology so well, yet I literally scream and get frustrated with the general chemistry and sometimes math courses? What should I do?

If this helps, in regards to my question about getting in med school, I have had 2 leadership positions in 1 prominent medical organization I was a national leader for the group for internal medicine and I am the founder and president of a campus organization. I work with children(job) I have mentored, taught English to refugees and have done research in drug behavior and neuroscience on an animal model. Along with other ECs my main concern is the grades for general chemistry?[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 1 user