General Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yingao88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
a calcium atom has an electron with the quantum numbers 3, 2, 0, and 1/2 for n, l, M1, and Ms repectively. Which of the following is the most likely explanation for this?

A) the electron moved to a higher energy level by emitting a photon of light.
B) the calcium atom is an anion
C) the quantum numbers correspond to one of calcium's valence electrons.
D)the calcium atom contains an excited electron.

I am very confused on the question, i dont know what the question is asking for. How can i approach this question?

Members don't see this ad.

a calcium atom has an electron with the quantum numbers 3, 2, 0, and 1/2 for n, l, M1, and Ms repectively. Which of the following is the most likely explanation for this?

I am very confused on the question, i dont know what the question is asking for. How can i approach this question?

Last edited:

it's a weird question

n=3 means third energy level
l=2 means d orbital
ml= 0 --> the electron is in the dyz orbital (the 3rd d orbital out of 5)
ms= 1/2--> means positive spin

A)wrong definition of excitation-- the energy would be absorbed not emitted
B) anion- means it has an extra electron so it would now have 21 electrons not 19. --> however this would put the new electron in the first d orbital not the 3rd so this is incorrect
C) not true, calcium normally does not have an electron in the d orbital
D) if an electron is in the d orbital (not normal) it is in a higher energy orbital, so it is excited (also this is the only possible choice left)

Members don't see this ad :)
n=3 means third energy level
l=2 means d orbital
ml= 0 --> the electron is in the dyz orbital (the 3rd d orbital out of 5)
ms= 1/2--> means positive spin

A)wrong definition of excitation-- the energy would be absorbed not emitted
B) anion- means it has an extra electron so it would now have 21 electrons not 19. --> however this would put the new electron in the first d orbital not the 3rd so this is incorrect
C) not true, calcium normally does not have an electron in the d orbital
D) if an electron is in the d orbital (not normal) it is in a higher energy orbital, so it is excited (also this is the only possible choice left)

My mistake... I deleted my anion blunder. However, D is the only one left but I don't think it's the correct answer.

For an electron with 3, 2, 0 and 1/2, you'd expect it to be 3rd energy level, in a d orbital and the 3rd electron in the d-block. It's telling you where the electron is and then asking you how it got there in a calcium atom.