General education/Humanities and also online classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmGirlJ

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I have some questions about prerequisites for Pharm school. I am not getting a BS degree and want just to try to get into Pharm school with fulfilling only prerequisites. I am familiar with all of the science classes that I need to take, but very confused with general education and humanities. What kind of classes did you take? I am pretty sure I have to take psychology and sociology but what about everything else? Did you take for example history, music or art? I saw that my college has an "intro to pharmacology" class and I think it might be interesting and helpful for me. But I also want to know if this one will fulfill my prerequisites. Did anyone take that class?

I am also wondering what schools think about online classes? Not science, of course, but just general like psychology, sociology, history, music, etc. Did you have any problems with online classes when you applied?

I appreciate your help, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Before applying, I made a list of the requirements of every school I was interested in. That way you can see what you will have done and what you will need to complete. That is a good first step. Then I looked at classes that were common to all of the schools such as world / American history. As far as arts go, I decided to take an intro to music course. I was able to then research the courses further to see what they would count as at each school and noted that on my chart before enrolling in the classes. Believe it or not, a sociology course at one school was equivalent to a humanities / arts at another! I decided to take all of those courses online (over the summer) since it saved a ton of time and plenty of money as well.

As far as schools looking at online courses differently, when I applied, all 3 schools had no preference at all. The A's I got online (in 6 weeks!) counted the same as they would have if I completed them during an in-semester 15 week session in person. The schools are really looking for solid science performance. As far as history / humanities go, (and English as well) they just want to see that you have completed them. Please feel free to message me if you have any questions and good luck!

Thank you so much for your response, it helped a lot! I was worried about online classes but now I feel more comfortable taking them. I did the same thing with the list, but almost all schools that I am interested in are not specific about their general education and humanities preferences, so I wasn't sure. Thanks again :)