General Housing Topic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frootloops

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Personally, I feel that I should be living in a 1 bedroom apartment, but rent is making roommates seem so much more appealing. Any thoughts or experiences about having housemates in graduate school? I had housemates throughout undergrad and after I graduated for a bit, but there always seemed to be some sort of dramatic issue right before midterms or finals that I shouldn't have had to deal with in addition to just schoolwork. So, I would like to avoid that process by living alone. Unfortunately, I am pretty social and moving to a new place alone already seems to be daunting and I don't know if living alone will help that situation. I guess I am just looking for input about graduate student housing living situations...

Members don't see this ad.

I havent my OT program yet..but I have the same concerns as you regarding having a roommate. My sister told me that if I can AFFORD to live on my own then I should. Having a roommate can sometimes come with unneccesary drama that I wont need in grad school. What im planning on doing is just living on my own the first year and then if I get to know someone then maybe my sec. year ill have a roommate..

Fruitloops, I've been thinking along the same lines as you. I'm really drawn to a studio or 1 bedroom. These next 2 years are strictly about school for me and I don't want to be distracted. I worry as well about the cost, but my goal is to live alone.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm considering...living with my parents (gasp!). I've fortunately been accepted to a school that is about a 30 minute commute from my parent's house but considering that I'm 32 and married (my husband is in the military and we're still working on getting him stationed near me), it kind of freaks me out to think about moving back home! My parents are live-in care givers to my aunt who is quadriplegic and I worry that there might be tension between me and them over time. They want me to live with them because they want to help us save money but I wonder if it is worth the $$ to not deal with stress that it will put on my relationship with my parents.

My other issue is that I'm one of those nutty people with 2 dogs that I treat like children so I can't help but worry about them while I'm in class. If I live with my parents I can't run home during lunch like I have for the past few years while I've been in undergrad and unfortunately, my parents aren't crazy about animals. Another issue that I think might add to unnecessary stress!

I know that my problems might seem petty to some but if anyone has any helpful thoughts/opinions, I'm completely open to hearing them!

During my first masters, I had housemates. I was an international student (American in Canada) and lived in a grad house owned by the university. Everyone else was a grad student too, most in demanding PhD programs, and it worked out really well. It wasn't exactly like a "roommate" situation because it was a large house (3 stories) and we each had our own room (considered an "apartment" by the university.) Since everyone else was a serious student, getting work done wasn't a problem (plus we were on the outskirts of campus, so close to the library.)

Since I was in a totally new place, I actually way preferred that set-up... it was just easier to go with this set-up through the graduate student housing office, but in retrospect, getting my own apartment in a strange city in which I didn't know a single person would have been a bit lonely (and I say that as someone who values alone time and privacy.)

That said, when I was just working and had roommates in another city, it didn't seem all that conducive to studying. But, that was because we were all working and had our nights and weekends free. So... roommates/housemates are fine IF you're all on the same page and preferably have a similar goal and lifestyle. And, school is expensive enough, so if you can save money through shared housing (especially important in expensive cities) you should seriously think about doing so.

I know my last masters was not an OT masters, but I really have to impress upon people that despite the rigors of grad school, you WILL have time to socialize. Everyone talks as if people aren't studying enough if they have time to socialize, but that's not true. You'll bond with your classmates over the work (and especially shared work) but equally, will blow off steam with them. Everybody in every program has times in which they just have to lock themselves in their rooms and work non-stop, but mostly, we were able to hang out for a bit in the evening, or on the weekends, and welcomed that relief.

I was in my late 20s (turned 30 towards the end) while in that program. Now I'm 35 and married, but if I were not married and were moving for school, I would still probably live with housemates. We had two guys in their late 30s in my house and it seemed normal.

I really wish students could live in senior housing. The rent is always cheapest in the senior homes!

"students could live in senior housing"

that is a GREAT idea!! especially, an OT student!! they could actually help the community!

I have had roommates my first year of grad school and I am REALLY looking forward to getting my own place for next year. Roommates do help lower the cost but sometimes it just isn't worth it. In the words of Jane Austen's Marianne "the rent may be very cheap here, but I believe we have it on very hard terms".