General MHA Acceptance/Rejection 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks Hopeful! VCU gave me an acceptance on the day of my interview, it's hard to turn down a top 5 program. I still have my Rush interview tomorrow, and they know about my VCU acceptance, it will be a tough decision if they offer me acceptance as well!! I think I definitely will be cancelling my georgetown.

Congrats on VCU! And good luck on your Rush interview, two possible acceptances are nothing to complain about!

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks Hopeful! VCU gave me an acceptance on the day of my interview, it's hard to turn down a top 5 program. I still have my Rush interview tomorrow, and they know about my VCU acceptance, it will be a tough decision if they offer me acceptance as well!! I think I definitely will be cancelling my georgetown.

What was the interview like? What sort of questions did they ask? My VCU interview is this Friday so I'm curious.

What was the interview like? What sort of questions did they ask? My VCU interview is this Friday so I'm curious.
@Lsata I'm sure Ms Havasy has sent you your itinerary but it's 3 different interviews- mine was with a faculty, an alum, and a current student- and I think everyone's was along those lines. They each had established questions, they let you talk, it was great. The students that are there for the day are very friendly. After lunch then each student speaks with the director, Dr. Clement.

Members don't see this ad :)
When did they let you know of the decision? Was it at the interview or was it later on that day?

I only applied to two programs, UNC and VCU, since I knew I wanted to stay in this part of the country. I interviewed at both programs earlier this month. I received my official acceptance from UNC less than a week after interviewing and am waiting to hear back officially from VCU (hopefully in the next few days).

I think I am leaning towards VCU because of the third year residency, its location, and the students seemed more professional than the ones I met at UNC. That being said, I'm currently a NC resident, so I'd receive in-state tuition and there seems to be more flexibility with curriculum at UNC.

@Lsata I was told at the interview- I think that was unusual though. Apparently they used to do it all the time and then stopped a few years ago? I don't know when everyone else who I interviewed with found out- they were very vague as to when everyone would find out. I accepted their offer yesterday, so I'll be at VCU next year! YAY!

Also- I got my acceptance offer from Rush today after interviewing friday. They said those were the first acceptances they were sending out since the first interview day in early December.

The admissions committee was meeting today (I think) to make decisions on those who already interviewed. I was told that since I have work experience (not in healthcare) that it puts me at an advantage to those who are coming straight from school. I'm guessing if you have experience in healthcare and the rest of your application looks good, then they're more likely to offer you admission during the interview.

Congrats on accepting the VCU offer! I can't wait to have the decision process behind me.

Has anyone interviewed/heard back from Hopkins? I interviewed with them last friday and am wondering how long it typically takes to hear back. I know that, like VCU, their deadline is this friday and so I think that they're trying to finish reviewing a bunch of apps this week before they get a flood of new ones.

I saw some posts here regarding interviews at Rush. I was curious, if anyone has already interviewed, how did it go? Was the interview difficult? I think someone had said they were offered admission shortly after the interview, which is always nice to hear!

@ilovecollege I just had my Rush interview on Friday. it was good! Since they have that teacher-practitioner model, you interview with two faculty who also work in the hospital (so they run you all over campus), and then the program director. They just met on friday afternoon to go over all the previous submitted apps and send out acceptances, I dont know when they meet again, it might not be until late february.

Has anyone interviewed/heard back from Hopkins? I interviewed with them last friday and am wondering how long it typically takes to hear back. I know that, like VCU, their deadline is this friday and so I think that they're trying to finish reviewing a bunch of apps this week before they get a flood of new ones.

I haven't interviewed or heard back from JHU and I had everything submitted in early November. :( I was really hoping to have heard back by now. My impression was they don't interview everyone they accept. Can anyone confirm this?

I did just interview with Cornell's dual MBA-MHA program, which is growing on me.

Let us know if you do hear from Hopkins... i'm dying to know they've started making decisions at least. This wait is soooooo long.

I haven't interviewed or heard back from JHU and I had everything submitted in early November. :( I was really hoping to have heard back by now. My impression was they don't interview everyone they accept. Can anyone confirm this?

I did just interview with Cornell's dual MBA-MHA program, which is growing on me.

Let us know if you do hear from Hopkins... i'm dying to know they've started making decisions at least. This wait is soooooo long.

I believe that you are right about the fact that they don't necessarily interview everyone that they accept - at least that was the impression I got from the interview. I can't 100% confirm it though. Where did you hear that?

I know that they just received a bunch of new applications because the deadline is this friday, so I think it may be a while until I hear back.

@ilovecollege I just had my Rush interview on Friday. it was good! Since they have that teacher-practitioner model, you interview with two faculty who also work in the hospital (so they run you all over campus), and then the program director. They just met on friday afternoon to go over all the previous submitted apps and send out acceptances, I dont know when they meet again, it might not be until late february.

Thanks Katertot, good to know - appreciate the advice. I had followed up yesterday with Rush since I applied on November 30th and hadn't heard a thing! I was nervous so I sent a gentle reminder their way, and so the program coordinator, Matthew I believe is his name, said an interview invitation should be coming shortly.

Has any one heard anything from the UC Berkeley Health Policy & Management program?

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe that you are right about the fact that they don't necessarily interview everyone that they accept - at least that was the impression I got from the interview. I can't 100% confirm it though. Where did you hear that?

I know that they just received a bunch of new applications because the deadline is this friday, so I think it may be a while until I hear back.

One of the FAQ's on the website hints that interviews aren't required. I'm just hoping that's the case since it still seems like no one has been admitted to Hopkins.

And I agree with you completely that they might not make decisions till well after the deadline. I just find is so strange they say the review process begins in November but then wait till the deadline to admit anyone.

Congrats on the interview though. That's a great sign!

And, with comedic timing, comes an interview invitation to JHU for tomorrow or Monday.

Hi! I am interested in UMN and UMich MHA programs, my application became was received early this week. Im so nervous, I feel like i applied later than I would have liked...how late am I in this process? I hope most of the Incoming class hasn't already been accepted. Funding is an issue for me, can anyone tell me how likely it is that mn or mi still offer any type of scholarships around now? For anyone that's been accepted, did u get scholarship info when u were accepted, or do u find out later??

Thanks!!

Hi! I am interested in UMN and UMich MHA programs, my application became was received early this week. Im so nervous, I feel like i applied later than I would have liked...how late am I in this process? I hope most of the Incoming class hasn't already been accepted. Funding is an issue for me, can anyone tell me how likely it is that mn or mi still offer any type of scholarships around now? For anyone that's been accepted, did u get scholarship info when u were accepted, or do u find out later??

Thanks!!

You obviously know you're late in the process. For the top schools like UMich, I would imagine this really hurts your application because they're already making admissions decisions. And missing the priority deadline indicates you may not have fully thought out applying. But that said, if you have an outstanding application, they can always make room...

Good luck!

How did you feel about the interview LSATA? I was very nervous about this one because unlike Cornell's MBA one, no one has really documented what questions they ask (and now I assume because it may vary widely by the candidate).

I was told I should hear within a month, when they know other schools will have really started making their decisions, so - ugggh - the wait continues. I just really want Hopkins!

Had my Georgetown Interview..... we find out next week if we've gotten in. Completely unexpected turn of events for me, it's now my first choice!

How did you feel about the interview LSATA? I was very nervous about this one because unlike Cornell's MBA one, no one has really documented what questions they ask (and now I assume because it may vary widely by the candidate).

I was told I should hear within a month, when they know other schools will have really started making their decisions, so - ugggh - the wait continues. I just really want Hopkins!

Mine was pretty informal as well. I think that's the way they are with everyone because when I spoke to a current student she said that was how they were with her last year.

The good news is that I got accepted to both JHU and VCU last week! Now I'm just waiting for my Minnesota interview, and I'm going to cancel all the rest I think. But I'm definitely going to have a hard decision ahead of me.

Had my Georgetown Interview..... we find out next week if we've gotten in. Completely unexpected turn of events for me, it's now my first choice!

Hey,
I have my Georgetown interview in the next half an hour.
Since I am an international student, I have a phone interview.
Any tips that you can give me?

Hey,
I have my Georgetown interview in the next half an hour.
Since I am an international student, I have a phone interview.
Any tips that you can give me?

My interview was a pretty casual conversation with the basic questions of why I'd be a good match for Georgetown's program, what I'd bring to the table, etc. They asked a little about my academic concentrations and how that piqued my interest in health admin. It was pretty easygoing and quick overall, nothing to be nervous about. Good luck!

So anyone has heard anything from University of Washington or USC by any chance? I applied early to USC and haven't heard anything! Washington said something on their website that they start notifying in early March but I wasn't sure if anyone may have heard early?

I submitted my app to UWashington back in October and still haven't heard anything besides "we received your completed application"- this week they sent me a survey to fill out. I already accepted an offer at VCU, but I have to say I would have appreciated hearing something from UW before this point. It definitely dropped them in my rankings.

I submitted my app to UWashington back in October and still haven't heard anything besides "we received your completed application"- this week they sent me a survey to fill out. I already accepted an offer at VCU, but I have to say I would have appreciated hearing something from UW before this point. It definitely dropped them in my rankings.

Gotcha thanks, Katertot. Wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one. Congratulations on VCU. Some of these schools are SO late its hindering applicants from even making decisions. I recently got an interview at GWU and they set my interview day for very late April. For me, I may have made a decision by that time and I definitely will have heard from all my other schools!

Exactly! When they let you know that late it definitely hinders your options. If washington asks for feedback I will definitely let them know that.

Gotcha thanks, Katertot. Wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one. Congratulations on VCU. Some of these schools are SO late its hindering applicants from even making decisions. I recently got an interview at GWU and they set my interview day for very late April. For me, I may have made a decision by that time and I definitely will have heard from all my other schools!

I completely agree with this. Especially since when I got accepted to VCU they told me they would like to hear back within a month, and my interview with Minnesota is cutting that extremely close. And an interview in late April!? That's ridiculous. To me that shows a lack of institutional preparation.

Just go accepted at Minnesota!

Congrats! That's an amazing program. Do you think you'll accept?

Has anyone interviewed at Ohio State? If so, could you share what the turn around time was with their decision? I have my interview with them on Feb 22nd and was just curious.

Also, in case anyone else applied to Berkeley HPM, I read in the general MPH thread that they are very slowly starting to send out decisions (possibly to the top 1% of applicants that they know they are going to admit).

Did anyone apply to Columbia's, MHA-equivalent, MPH in Healthcare Management program? I just received an e-mail from the admissions office basically asking if I had applied to the right program.

Apparently, within SOPHAS there are two options for healthcare management: MPH - Healthcare Management and MPH- Two Year Full Time Health Policy and Management. The first is actually a certificate program. I feel bad for overlooking that there was another option for the healthcare management MPH, but i'm assuming this might have been a somewhat common mistake?

At least we know they are starting to review applications...

Accepted at Georgetown for the MHSA!
Basically accepted by the dept, the dept has recommended the decision to the graduate school of arts and sciences. So official offer will arrive in a months time.

I have been meaning to ask you, what changed? Why is it suddenly your first choice?

I have been meaning to ask you, what changed? Why is it suddenly your first choice?

That's wonderful, I was accepted to the program today too!
I hadn't been too keen on the program solely because I was worried about the length of their residency, but the students I talked to had amazing internships/part-time jobs throughout the program at MedStar and elsewhere. Also, the availability of professors to the students and close mentor-mentee relationship they cultivate there was definitely something that I didn't see in a lot of the other programs I looked at.
That being said, I'm still waiting on financials at some of my other programs...

That's wonderful, I was accepted to the program today too!
I hadn't been too keen on the program solely because I was worried about the length of their residency, but the students I talked to had amazing internships/part-time jobs throughout the program at MedStar and elsewhere. Also, the availability of professors to the students and close mentor-mentee relationship they cultivate there was definitely something that I didn't see in a lot of the other programs I looked at.
That being said, I'm still waiting on financials at some of my other programs...

Well for me, its between Georgetown and Pitt. Pitt also has a great program, great external relations, works out less expensive (specially the cost of living factor) and their association with UPMC could mean a residency at UPMC which I will certainly try for. Moreover they are offering an extended paid 16 month residency. Since I will be coming straight from undergrad with zero healthcare management experience, I think I might need the additional work ex. What do you think?

Well for me, its between Georgetown and Pitt. Pitt also has a great program, great external relations, works out less expensive (specially the cost of living factor) and their association with UPMC could mean a residency at UPMC which I will certainly try for. Moreover they are offering an extended paid 16 month residency. Since I will be coming straight from undergrad with zero healthcare management experience, I think I might need the additional work ex. What do you think?

I think experience is key, 100%. I'd be interested to see if after the 16 month residency students still go into fellowships or get the "real" salaried jobs. Just food for thought because if they end up in fellowships, Georgetown students even with their semester-long residency end up in the same positions after their program. Just would be interesting to see if that 16-month residency propels them further when they get out into the job market, you know?

The only big factor I think that plays a big part for me is the location. Being from Pennsylvania and now living in DC, the opportunities in DC are so much greater and of a wider variety that Pittsburg. Also the city itself is - in my opinion - great for the young professional lifestyle too with all its night life, attractions, etc.

Hi all I was here the last MHA cycle, but was not successful in getting an admit. But this time have been lucky, except for the work experience everthing else remains the same.

Applied: GW, SC, UAMS,SDSU, UK ( through SOPHAS) UCF
yet to apply: Texas state uni, uni of Scranton, washington state uni
Accepted:UCF
Rejected:
Waitlisted:

let me know if you guys need more info...

All comments are welcome....

your opinion on UCF???? Please.....

Thanks!!
There is definitely hope. I just applied to the UMN MHA program yesterday. I had alredy applied, and been accpeted, to the UMN MPH PHAP program, but decided to go for the MHA instead at the last second. Within 3 hours of receiving my application, they invited me for an interview! Point being, at least at UMN, they are still reviewing applications and considering candidates. It certainly does hurt the chances to be applying so late (especially at UMich who have an earlier deadline than UMN), but if you are a solid candidate, I would hold out hope. Good luck!

Ugh, I must have screwed up the skype interview with JHU. I received an email today scheduling an in-person interview for Feb 25. I thought i'd know by then but apparently the wait continues. :oops:

I'm kind of glad for it though since for the skype session, I had my video on but couldn't see the AdCom member. I found that very awkward since I had nothing to judge how my responses were coming off. Hopefully i'll soon join those of you that are Hopkins bound!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I haven't read anything about MUSC on this thread, but has anybody applied to or heard back about an interview from Medical University of South Carolina? This is the only MHA program I applied to because of geographic reasons. Just curious if anyone has heard anything yet or whether they have started scheduling interviews.

Thanks, and good luck to you all!

I had an interview at MUSC on the 25th. I heard back a few weeks later and got accepted. The interview is really laid back and pretty informal. Just be sure to be dressed well for the interview there. It's something that they take pretty seriously.

Has anyone interviewed in-person with Hopkins? Just curious on format, etc... any insights would be much appreciated!

Has anyone interviewed in-person with Hopkins? Just curious on format, etc... any insights would be much appreciated!

I have. It was pretty informal, they just asked me some standard questions. I sat down with Teresa Schwartz for about an hour and had the chance to speak with the MHA director. I also spoke with some current students and saw an alumni panel, but this was just because I happened to be coming in on the same day. It was a relatively comfortable experience compared to some other interviews that I've been on.

I had an interview at MUSC on the 25th. I heard back a few weeks later and got accepted. The interview is really laid back and pretty informal. Just be sure to be dressed well for the interview there. It's something that they take pretty seriously.
Thanks for the reply. I had the interview recently and was accepted. I did dress professionally, so I guess that helped, as you stated! I am going to be attending in August, are you accepting your offer from MUSC?

i actually have my interview coming up at MUSC. can anyone give any pointers at all?

I have. It was pretty informal, they just asked me some standard questions....

Thanks Lsata. I can't believe how much i'm freaking out about it. I've interviewed with other schools and felt fairly relaxed and calm but this one is playing with my head for some reason. It's a good excuse to visit campus too though I guess.

Well, I've heard back from everywhere I applied to and I'm about 95% sure I'm going to Cornell!

Best wishes to everyone in their search.

i actually have my interview coming up at MUSC. can anyone give any pointers at all?
My interview was fairly informal. There were five prospective students, they said usually there are eight to ten at each interview. The faculty introduced themselves, and then we each introduced ourselves. Next each individual had 2 separate 20 minute interviews with a faculty member. The questions I was asked were things like why I am interested in the MHA at MUSC and what past experiences would help me be successful there. Next, we toured the campus with some current students, then had lunch with the program director, and finally was given more time with the current students for more questions. Dress professionally, be energetic, and maybe have a couple of questions prepared to ask the faculty members. Oh, also make sure to send a thank you email/card when your done, that always helps! Good luck.

Just a word of advice- I would definitely send out hand written thank yous- I've been told by many bosses, superiors, and older grad students to write them- I did them this year and I definitely shows how much you appreciate the time they take- it takes 5 seconds to write an email, it takes more effort to send a thank you that's hand written.

I got accepted this morning at Minnesota's MHA!!!!!

Winterfell86 thanks for your encouraging words, I guess they did like me :).