General MHA Acceptance/Rejection 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just received an update from SOPHAS in case anyone else is still waiting.

E-submit 2/17/13
Complete 3/11/13 and will be sent in next weekly mailing

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have my Cornell interview this Friday... anyone willing to describe how theirs went? Assuming it's pretty typical but was there anything that was kind of out there or different from others you've done?

I'm actually kind of excited about this one because it's clear they read the application and the AdCom already provided some comments on what we might discuss during the interview. I'm extremely impressed so far. Come on Cornell, I want that MBA-MHA (which apparently they're offering in a 2 year program now too)!

I have my Cornell interview this Friday... anyone willing to describe how theirs went? Assuming it's pretty typical but was there anything that was kind of out there or different from others you've done?

I'm actually kind of excited about this one because it's clear they read the application and the AdCom already provided some comments on what we might discuss during the interview. I'm extremely impressed so far. Come on Cornell, I want that MBA-MHA (which apparently they're offering in a 2 year program now too)!

I interviewed with Cornell's MHA, it was by far the most casual of all my interviews. Mine was a phone call and the woman asked the basics- why an MHA, why Cornell.. she had clearly gone through my resume and asked about my past internship/job experience and asked me to discuss my publications with her. All in all it was a good experience- she was very friendly and engaging. Nothing to worry about :)
Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, I appreciate it! With only one acceptance, i've been majorly stressing. And I really like the dual-degree program so my stress level is heightened to ulcer inducing lol.

Congrats on all your acceptances, now if only Hopkins would decide!

Thanks, I appreciate it! With only one acceptance, i've been majorly stressing. And I really like the dual-degree program so my stress level is heightened to ulcer inducing lol.

Congrats on all your acceptances, now if only Hopkins would decide!

You're tellin' me! I was told we'd hear this week. Fingers crossed!

Has anyone heard from UW yet or know when their decisions will be out?

Hey everyone,

Just thought I should get my stats in:

Undergrad GPA: 3.54
Major: Economics and Decision Science
Current Status: Full-time at a pharmaceutical company

Applied to:

JHU
Minnesota
OSU
Pitt (MPH in Health Policy and Management)

Admitted to:

JHU
Minnesota (with graduate asistantship)
OSU
Pitt

Did anyone else hear back from JHU?

Hey everyone,

Just thought I should get my stats in:

Undergrad GPA: 3.54
Major: Economics and Decision Science
Current Status: Full-time at a pharmaceutical company

Applied to:

JHU
Minnesota
OSU
Pitt (MPH in Health Policy and Management)

Admitted to:

JHU
Minnesota (with graduate asistantship)
OSU
Pitt

Did anyone else hear back from JHU?

Yes, I have. I was accepted about a month and a half ago. Most likely going to pay my deposit and accept their offer this week! Are you thinking of attending there?

I'm thinking about it, I'm actually visiting the campus on Monday and meeting with Teresa and some 2nd year students. I don't know what to do! How did you decide JHU is the one for you?

Yes, I have. I was accepted about a month and a half ago. Most likely going to pay my deposit and accept their offer this week! Are you thinking of attending there?
I'm thinking about it, I'm actually visiting the campus on Monday and meeting with Teresa and some 2nd year students. I don't know what to do! How did you decide JHU is the one for you?

Well for one it's near my home town, which I like. Also, when I visited I got to sit down for an alumni panel and meet a bunch of the current students. Everyone was awesome. The alumni were great and the cohort seemed really tight-nit. I also like the curriculum, and think that the fact that it's only one year of didactic is actually beneficial to me because I want to start working sooner rather than later. The JHU MHA website doesn't reveal that much about the program, so I would recommend asking a lot of questions. I've been in contact with a couple of current students who have told me a lot of great things about the program (i.e. mentoring and case comp.) that I didn't know about after all the online research that I did!

Hello - I was hoping to get some impressions from people as to what they thought of UW vs Rush. Those are my top 2 I am currently considering. I'm from California and would ideally like to return there after the program for ideally a fellowship or for a job. Thanks again!

I was accepted to Hopkins!!!!! And just like that, the process is done for me, guys. I'll be sending in my deposit to Hopkins next week and I couldn't be more thrilled!!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else still waiting on UW? I called the admissions office last Friday and they said I'd hear back this week, but I haven't yet. =/ So anxious!!

Hi
guys i have been accepted for MHA program in Univ of Pittsburgh & Tulane univ.
which school has a good MHA program & good reputation and better placement rates. I have no idea being an international student. I am waiting for univ of MINNESOTA RESULT
PLS help guys

I was accepted to Hopkins!!!!! And just like that, the process is done for me, guys. I'll be sending in my deposit to Hopkins next week and I couldn't be more thrilled!!

Congrats!!! Are you going to admitted students day in April?

Has anyone heard from UW yet or know when their decisions will be out?

I called them today and they said it they send out notification from now till the end of next week. Good luck!!

I called them today and they said it they send out notification from now till the end of next week. Good luck!!

Yup, they told me the same thing today. It's strange because I called them last Friday too, and they said all decisions will be out by the end of THIS week. It just keeps getting delayed. Good luck to you too! :)

Anyone going to Cornell? I just had a really pleasant interview, learned quite a bit about the program, and am seriously considering it if they offer me place in the new two year MBA-MHA.

Anyone going to Cornell? I just had a really pleasant interview, learned quite a bit about the program, and am seriously considering it if they offer me place in the new two year MBA-MHA.

I'm going to Cornell.

WIll anyone be interviewing at Georgetown this coming Friday March 22nd or going to the preview day at GWU?

If anyone has interviewed at Georgetown before please let me know how your experience was, I saw that there was some "problem solving" exercise.

Thanks,

WIll anyone be interviewing at Georgetown this coming Friday March 22nd or going to the preview day at GWU?

If anyone has interviewed at Georgetown before please let me know how your experience was, I saw that there was some "problem solving" exercise.

Thanks,

The Georgetown interview may seem nerve-wracking because it involves so many parts but don't be intimidated. The people are super friendly and the environment isn't as stiff as you'd expect. The problem solving exercise is just a hypothetical situation type of question where there's no one right answer. Nothing technical so don't feel pressured to prepare. Just be sure to give some sort of input while you're discussing it with the others. Everything passed by relatively quickly so even during the interview I found we had time to discuss just the major questions. I liked that they gave ample time for us to ask questions about the program and talk with current students. Good luck!

dear Lsata,

congratulations on JHU!!!
from the forum i understand u had an interview at VCU too.
i have an upcoming interview there in first week of april.
can u tell me what kind of questions were asked???

I'm going to Cornell.

Sweet. Grats on acceptance. Do you know if they do an admitted students day or anything? I'm heavily leaning towards Cornell (if they accept me - which I was told I should hear this Tuesday <cross fingers>) but have never visited campus...

Sweet. Grats on acceptance. Do you know if they do an admitted students day or anything? I'm heavily leaning towards Cornell (if they accept me - which I was told I should hear this Tuesday <cross fingers>) but have never visited campus...

Thank you! I haven't heard anything about them having one...I only live 3 hours from Ithaca and interviewed on campus so perhaps they didn't bother letting me know? That's a long shot but its the only thing I can think of.

If you have any questions about planning a trip, then please let me know. I'm fairly familiar with the Upstate NY/ Ithaca area. For instance, if you plan on flying, your best bet would be to fly into Syracuse or something instead of Ithaca. It would most likely be cheaper to rent a car and drive to Ithaca from Syracuse. It is a fairly easy drive and only ~1.5 hours.

Good luck!

I just got back from my interview at Georgetown and preview day at GWU, and Georgetown has now become my first choice. I still have my interview at Rush in April.I am no longer considering GW.

Has anyone here made the decision to go to Georgetown?

Applied

Rush- interview-April
Georgetown-interview-March
Trinity- March

Accepted
Ohio State
George Washington University
A&M

I just got back from my interview at Georgetown and preview day at GWU, and Georgetown has now become my first choice. I still have my interview at Rush in April.I am no longer considering GW.

Has anyone here made the decision to go to Georgetown?

Applied

Rush- interview-April
Georgetown-interview-March
Trinity- March

Accepted
Ohio State
George Washington University
A&M
I have decided to attend Georgetown! I was impressed with my interview session and I just really love the DC area!

I just received my acceptance into Georgetown this morning! I still have my interview at Rush but I think I will be attending Georgetown this Fall!

Thank you! I haven't heard anything about them having one...I only live 3 hours from Ithaca and interviewed on campus so perhaps they didn't bother letting me know? That's a long shot but its the only thing I can think of.

If you have any questions about planning a trip, then please let me know. I'm fairly familiar with the Upstate NY/ Ithaca area. For instance, if you plan on flying, your best bet would be to fly into Syracuse or something instead of Ithaca. It would most likely be cheaper to rent a car and drive to Ithaca from Syracuse. It is a fairly easy drive and only ~1.5 hours.

Good luck!

Thanks, it's much appreciated. I haven't heard anything about an accepted students but was just curious since it seems like a lot of schools do them. I live in DC now but am from the South so i'm not familiar with the campus or area at all and I just got my acceptance today and may want to visit before deciding!

Hi all,
I was here the last MHA cycle, but was not successful in getting an admit. But this time have been lucky, except for the work experience everthing else remains the same...i mean my stats.....

Qualification- Bachelors of Dental Surgery
CGPA- 3.67 ( By WES)
GRE- Q- 147 , V- 143 , AW- 3
TOEFL- 97
Work experience - 4 yrs (3 yrs clinical and 1 yr non-clinical as patient relationship manager)
(volunteer experience- 2 1/2 yrs in clinical and public health programs)

Applied: GW, SC, UAMS,SDSU, U Kentucky ( through SOPHAS) UCF
yet to apply: Texas state uni, uni of Scranton, washington state uni
Accepted:UCF
Rejected:U Kentucky, UAMS
Waitlisted:

let me know if you guys need more info...

All comments are welcome....

your opinion on UCF???? Please.....

Thank you...

hello......anyone reply to my post please.....am waiting..

Ahhhh!!! I'm ecstatic. Just got into JHU this morning. Now just trying to work out how I can make it to the admitted students day this Friday... hope to see some of you there!

Ahhhh!!! I'm ecstatic. Just got into JHU this morning. Now just trying to work out how I can make it to the admitted students day this Friday... hope to see some of you there!

CONGRATS! I'll be there, pretty exciting!!

Last edited:
Hey all -

Just a friendly reminder to strongly consider the University of Michigan's MHSA program. I will have limited opportunity to respond to questions, however here are a few key points:

1. Alumni is everything. Michigan has connections in payers, hospitals, government and global health.
2. Great access to top professors. Many of us conduct research right alongside leaders of industry.
3. We place very well in hospital fellowships. On-site recruiting for consulting and insurance.
4. Nationally strong public policy and business schools at Michigan. Able to take courses from various disciplines.
5. Ann Arbor is great place for graduate school. Affordable housing and cost of living, yet enough entertainment to keep you busy.
6. Many of our cohort worked in consulting, hospitals, insurance companies, or policy agencies prior. Broadening your academic influence outside the classroom.

Regardless, good luck on your decisions and take care.

I've just been contacted for an interview with Texas A&M Health Policy and Management Dept. :)

Has anyone interviewed with Texas A&M?

If yes, I have some questions:

1) Did you interview on campus or on the phone?
2) I'll be coming from the west coast, do they provide any financial assistance to out of state students who want to interview in-person?
3) What are some of the questions they ask?

Any form of help would be much appreciated!

I've just been contacted for an interview with Texas A&M Health Policy and Management Dept. :)

Has anyone interviewed with Texas A&M?

If yes, I have some questions:

1) Did you interview on campus or on the phone?
2) I'll be coming from the west coast, do they provide any financial assistance to out of state students who want to interview in-person?
3) What are some of the questions they ask?

Any form of help would be much appreciated!

1) I interviewed with them on campus- if you are not wanting to travel I am sure they would be willing to accommodate your request to have a phone interview instead. But I would suggest visiting and meeting with the faculty and checking out the campus.
2) I am in Texas so I wouldn't know if they offer any kind of assistance. The other schools I have been going to have not done so.
3) They ask you the general questions which I have noticed almost everyone asks. Why an MHA? Why did you apply to and wish to attend Texas A&M? They ask about a leadership experience with in group setting. What will you bring to the program. It is a fairly casual interview. I was interviewed by the program director and 2 faculty members.

Hope that helps. Best of luck!

UGPA: 3.6 at Big 10 public school
Majors: Sociology, Spanish
GRE (including date taken): 8/17/2012 -- Verbal 156, Quant 151, Writing 4.5
Experience/Research: 6 months at a private laboratory service company, 2 years full-time in a student health insurance office, graduate public health coursework

Applied: U of MN (MHA), Columbia (MPH-HPM), UCLA (MPH-HPM), George Washington (MHSA), SOPHAS submitted 11/18 and mailed on 12/19
Johns Hopkins (MHA, application submitted 11/16),
Rush University (MS HSM, application submitted to HAMPCAS 11/16)

Accepted: Rush (1/29), UCLA (2/14), (Columbia 2/25), U of MN (3/6), GWU (3/28)
Waitlisted: JHU (interview 3/14)

After much debate, I'm planning on attending Rush (it came down to Rush or MN)! Anyone else headed there in the fall?

1) I interviewed with them on campus- if you are not wanting to travel I am sure they would be willing to accommodate your request to have a phone interview instead. But I would suggest visiting and meeting with the faculty and checking out the campus.
2) I am in Texas so I wouldn't know if they offer any kind of assistance. The other schools I have been going to have not done so.
3) They ask you the general questions which I have noticed almost everyone asks. Why an MHA? Why did you apply to and wish to attend Texas A&M? They ask about a leadership experience with in group setting. What will you bring to the program. It is a fairly casual interview. I was interviewed by the program director and 2 faculty members.

Hope that helps. Best of luck!

Thanks for the info! :) They have set up an interview over Skype with me for this Monday!

i just heard from UW few hrs back saying i am on waitlist and the final answer would be given by 12th april,2013

Have you heard back from UW yet? I'm also on the waitlist and waiting for a decision!!

Good luck!

Have you heard back from UW yet? I'm also on the waitlist and waiting for a decision!!

Good luck!

I'm sure you 2 are anxious. I was at the Admitted Student day for UW and plan on enrolling. However, I was speaking with 1 student who said he likely won't be attending. He was deciding between UW and Cornell, and his entire conversation revolved around wanting to go to Cornell mostly for consulting. Assuming he goes that way, thats 1 more spot that opens us.

I'm sure you 2 are anxious. I was at the Admitted Student day for UW and plan on enrolling. However, I was speaking with 1 student who said he likely won't be attending. He was deciding between UW and Cornell, and his entire conversation revolved around wanting to go to Cornell mostly for consulting. Assuming he goes that way, thats 1 more spot that opens us.

Oh, awesome! I hope I get that spot!!! :)

When was the admitted students day? How did it go? Were you debating between other schools (or were you set on UW)? Why did you choose UW?

Also, do you know when the deadline is for admitted students to put in a deposit?

Sorry for so many questions!

Oh, awesome! I hope I get that spot!!! :)

When was the admitted students day? How did it go? Were you debating between other schools (or were you set on UW)? Why did you choose UW?

Also, do you know when the deadline is for admitted students to put in a deposit?

Sorry for so many questions!

Not a problem. The Admitted Student Day was March 29th. It went very well. They had a nice intro with all the faculty and current students over breakfast. Then they did a quick powerpoint overview of the program. You then split up into small groups with 1 faculty member to discuss your interests, goals, career direction, etc. Overall it was a good day. I was debating between UW and Rush. My first choice was Berkeley's MPH and Minnesota, but didn't go that way. Regardless, I'm still very happy with UW as its a strong program in an excellent healthcare market in Seattle. Mainly chose it because my end goal is to get back to the Bay Area, where I'm from and geographically, Rush would've made less sense for me.

I can tell you the deadline for students to submit was April 5th. Hope that helps!

I just had a telephone interview with Univ. of Minn. How soon should I expect an answer?