General Question about EMT Licenses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

saffronrain

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I have a quick question...
I was certified to be an EMT-B junior year of high school.. I'm a sophomore in college now, and my license expired last April...that is, 2004. Instead of actually renewing it, I, like an idiot, decided to let it go.
Would I have to re-take the entire course in order to get certified again? I'm not sure how to go about this... :oops:
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what part of the country you live in, different areas have different policies.

Usually if you renew within a certain amount of time (sometimes up to 48 months) all you have to do is a 24 hour refresher course. Things are changing, you should check with your local state and county EMS agencies.

saffronrain said:
Hey all,
I was certified to be an EMT-B junior year of high school.. I'm a sophomore in college now, and my license expired last April...that is, 2004. Instead of actually renewing it, I, like an idiot, decided to let it go.
Would I have to re-take the entire course in order to get certified again? I'm not sure how to go about this... :oops:
Thanks!
Check with your state board of EMS.
If you were NREMT http://www.nremt.org/EMTServices/reg_basic_history.asp#Lapsed_Registration

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, I'll check it out. :)

saffronrain said:
Hey all,
Thanks!
If your state requires NREMT registration, then yes, you would have to retake the entire course.

What state are you in?

southerndoc said:
If your state requires NREMT registration, then yes, you would have to retake the entire course.

What state are you in?

great... I'm in Connecticut.

ugh awesome. :rolleyes: thanks though!