general question about military dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mohamed25x

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Say i was to get accepted to a dental school, and apply for the scholarship program that pays for your 4 years of school. Does that mean after i get my d.d.s that i will have to work for the military for a set number of years or is there more to it then that? Also do you get paid will your working ? Last thing you are in the military, so do you ever have to fight?

Members don't see this ad.

Say i was to get accepted to a dental school, and apply for the scholarship program that pays for your 4 years of school. Does that mean after i get my d.d.s that i will have to work for the military for a set number of years or is there more to it then that? Also do you get paid will your working ? Last thing you are in the military, so do you ever have to fight?

Here is information on the program:
http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/hpsp.jsp

You come on active duty, so you will be paid as an active duty Soldier. You are a dentist, so that is your primary duty, however you may deploy and go to a country where there are conflicts going on. This is true for any of the 3 services.

in a country that has conflicts, how safe are dentists? are they protected well?

Also, how much time are you dedicated to practicing dentistry and how much time are you taken away to do other army related tasks?

Members don't see this ad :)

Well, army is military, remember? if you're an army dentist treating soldiers most of the day, and one day your base is attacked and about to be overrun? Yes, you will need to grab that M4 and M9, not your high speed and a hatchet!

you serve 4 years as Active Duty and then another 4 years as reserve.
you can get deployed and like others said, yes there can be a scenario where you will have to fight.
you get paid during school (1900/mo) and paid as an officer when you come out of dental school

Well, army is military, remember? if you're an army dentist treating soldiers most of the day, and one day your base is attacked and about to be overrun? Yes, you will need to grab that M4 and M9, not your high speed and a hatchet!

Unless your name is Dr. Jack Bauer, then that Hatchet might be handy! ;-)

If you do get sent, say, to Afghanistan Iraq Iran even Korea, you wont be put in the middle of a war zone. Lets be honest, for example the ARMY has already invested 300k or so in my well being and education. And for much of you the same goes...
They would be putting you in a "Green zone." And unless everything goes haywire, which to my recollection hasn't happened yet, you wont be pulling that M9 at all.
Gotta protect your investments.

If you do get sent, say, to Afghanistan Iraq Iran even Korea, you wont be put in the middle of a war zone. Lets be honest, for example the ARMY has already invested 300k or so in my well being and education. And for much of you the same goes...
They would be putting you in a "Green zone." And unless everything goes haywire, which to my recollection hasn't happened yet, you wont be pulling that M9 at all.

yes and no. b/c they invested so much $$$ on you, you won't doing some of the things the enlisted guys do during the training (e.g. firing automatic machine guns, obstacle courses, jumping, hanging, etc), b/c it may damage your valuable fingers--it is true. when 2 enlisted soldiers died of heat stroke last year in TX, we received repeated (i mean seriously too much) cautions and warnings that a similar thing may not happen to officers, plus constant cold water buffalo trucks and a bag sunblock following us. we even were allowed take off our jackets and roll up sleeves during training, which none of the enlisted guys were allowed to (it was cat 5, 110 F). they indeed care about officers.

but occasionally, though, med/dent officers do get stationed in a forward area. during training we were told the smallest "working dental clinic" unit is 1 comp dentist and 1 assistant, and that unit may be assigned to one of those front line companies. i'd be hard to imagine you were not issued an M9 or M4 in that situation, just b/c you have your high speed and hand instruments as your lethal weapon.

yes and no. b/c they invested so much $$$ on you, you won't doing some of the things the enlisted guys do during the training (e.g. firing automatic machine guns, obstacle courses, jumping, hanging, etc), b/c it may damage your valuable fingers--it is true. when 2 enlisted soldiers died of heat stroke last year in TX, we received repeated (i mean seriously too much) cautions and warnings that a similar thing may not happen to officers, plus constant cold water buffalo trucks and a bag sunblock following us. we even were allowed take off our jackets and roll up sleeves during training, which none of the enlisted guys were allowed to (it was cat 5, 110 F). they indeed care about officers.

but occasionally, though, med/dent officers do get stationed in a forward area. during training we were told the smallest "working dental clinic" unit is 1 comp dentist and 1 assistant, and that unit may be assigned to one of those front line companies. i'd be hard to imagine you were not issued an M9 or M4 in that situation, just b/c you have your high speed and hand instruments as your lethal weapon.

When I was in the 82nd, we would convoy and be near the front lines where we worked. I had just a couple of assistants to help, a small operating clinic, and there were things going on around us. It all depends on your position and who you deploy with.

Everyone needs to scrub their minds clean of whatever they saw in Band of Brothers, Platoon and The Pacific. There is no front line, and dentists typically are not part of maneuver/combat units. Things in Afghanistan and Iraq don't quite happen like that.

The enemy has resorted and is happy with waging guerilla warfare in the form of IEDs for convoys, or ambushes on small american patrols. They lack the manpower and equipment for a full on attack on a major AO or LSA, etc.

The most any deploying dentist needs to worry is 1) being in convoy and 2) random mortars launched into your AO.

As I posted before, only two dentists have been injured in the war on terror (search the posts)...one was a SF dentist who's vehicle was RPG'ed when he and SF were tasked to secure personal documents of the Husseins in 2003 during the attack on Baghdad, and another took shrapnel (sounded like it was very minor) when a mortar landed in his compound.

If I'm wrong on any of this and the situation has changed, I invite any active duty guys to chip in.

EDIT 4/16: I think the largest attack I heard of was a Marine outpost getting hit by 200 Taliban fighters, in a remote area.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your comments people they've all been helpful

you serve 4 years as Active Duty and then another 4 years as reserve.
you can get deployed and like others said, yes there can be a scenario where you will have to fight.
you get paid during school (1900/mo) and paid as an officer when you come out of dental school

When you say 1900/mo DURING dental school, does this mean in addition to paying for the schooling?

Sorry guys, I may have come off a little ignorant before. I just spent a few hours talking to some current residents in the 1 year AEGD... I was surprised to hear that there has been 1 dentist death overseas so far. (I don't know if you included that in the RPG and Shrapnel incidents).
Also those AEGD residents are almost 100% guaranteed to be deployed for 12-18 months. This is more than I had envisioned before. Those recruiters sure love to sugarcoat things.

Thanks for all your comments people they've all been helpful

When you say 1900/mo DURING dental school, does this mean in addition to paying for the schooling?

Yep! 1900 or more as a stipend PLUS tuition, books, instruments, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you get the $1900 stipend even in the summer? The recruiter told me that during the summer I will be getting 2Lt pay.

That's during your 45 day ADT. You will get 2nd Lt's pay, BAS, and BAH. If your school is year round, then you will just have to submit the paperwork to do the ADT at your school and get the 45 day ADT pay then.

That's during your 45 day ADT. You will get 2nd Lt's pay, BAS, and BAH. If your school is year round, then you will just have to submit the paperwork to do the ADT at your school and get the 45 day ADT pay then.

You don't get BAH and BAS like a true Lt. It's a very little amount.

Thank you. I am not quite sure how year around my school is. My first summer there are a few credits of classes during the summer, but I am not sure how much of the summer that this is going to take. The rest of the summers seem fuller, esp. D2. How will I know what my ADT will be, or do I plan that myself? Also, how do I enroll in the OBLC? I don't think I can do it this summer, my recruiter told me that they are full.

Thank you. I am not quite sure how year around my school is. My first summer there are a few credits of classes during the summer, but I am not sure how much of the summer that this is going to take. The rest of the summers seem fuller, esp. D2. How will I know what my ADT will be, or do I plan that myself? Also, how do I enroll in the OBLC? I don't think I can do it this summer, my recruiter told me that they are full.

You plan when and where and coordinate with Ms. Flores (Army) to get your orders and make arrangements. All this information will be in your HPSP handbook.

Sorry guys, I may have come off a little ignorant before. I just spent a few hours talking to some current residents in the 1 year AEGD... I was surprised to hear that there has been 1 dentist death overseas so far. (I don't know if you included that in the RPG and Shrapnel incidents).
Also those AEGD residents are almost 100% guaranteed to be deployed for 12-18 months. This is more than I had envisioned before. Those recruiters sure love to sugarcoat things.

Interesting...what branch was this dentist in? If it was army I would have tracked that...

You don't get BAH and BAS like a true Lt. It's a very little amount.

During ADT, you do get BAH and BAS, in addition to O-1 salary. Plus you would also get accrued leave credit (a few hundred dollars). Well, at least that's what I got, along with other HPSP buddies in my school. Relevant information can be found in Army HPSP policy handbook chapter 3.

All ADTs were supposed to take place at military hospitals/clinics, but unfortunately (or fortunately), it's not an option for everybody. By law all HPSP students must undergo 4 AD "training" to keep them afloat, at least on the paper. The location of ADT does not matter. The only thing that's not covered under school ADT would be per diem and airfare expenses (obviously b/c you're not going anywhere). During those 45 days, you are an officer w/ all privilege pertaining therein, such as free admission to the Sea World, etc.

During ADT, you do get BAH and BAS, in addition to O-1 salary. Plus you would also get accrued leave credit (a few hundred dollars). Well, at least that's what I got, along with other HPSP buddies in my school. Relevant information can be found in Army HPSP policy handbook chapter 3.

All ADTs were supposed to take place at military hospitals/clinics, but unfortunately (or fortunately), it's not an option for everybody. By law all HPSP students must undergo 4 AD "training" to keep them afloat, at least on the paper. The location of ADT does not matter. The only thing that's not covered under school ADT would be per diem and airfare expenses (obviously b/c you're not going anywhere). During those 45 days, you are an officer w/ all privilege pertaining therein, such as free admission to the Sea World, etc.

ALTOSS, thanks for that info. Go to SeaWorld often?? Are you in California or Fl? OH...and is this a good site for predicting what your BAH would be during ADT?? http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/bah.html

ALTOSS, thanks for that info. Go to SeaWorld often?? Are you in California or Fl? OH...and is this a good site for predicting what your BAH would be during ADT?? http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/perdiem/bah.html

I've been to SeaWorld during my training in TX. My wife doesn't favor the rollercoaster stuff, so we were just feeding dolphins and burning in the sun the whole day. Yes, that site seems right, I use

http://militarypay.defense.gov/mpcalcs/Calculators/RMC.aspx

which is somewhat more detailed for military personnel, b/c it also tells you pretty much how much $$$ you'd be making after school (plus the bonuses).

There haven't been any deaths of a dentist. One dentist did have his arm permanently injured when things were first kicking off. One medical doctor has been killed - no dentists.

No deployment is more then 12 months. If you do a 1 year AEGD your chance of deploying is higher, because you are more likely to go to a deploying unit since you are more competant.

However, current deployment rates are around 25-30% for general dentists. Not all AEGD graduates deploy, your chances depend on whwere you are assigned.

Remember, someone in a 1 year AEGD has been in 8 months, and only been to one location. They are still learning how things work - a lot of what they "know" is what they have heard - not experienced or seen.

No deployment is more then 12 months. If you do a 1 year AEGD your chance of deploying is higher, because you are more likely to go to a deploying unit since you are more competant.

However, current deployment rates are around 25-30% for general dentists. Not all AEGD graduates deploy, your chances depend on whwere you are assigned.

Remember, someone in a 1 year AEGD has been in 8 months, and only been to one location. They are still learning how things work - a lot of what they "know" is what they have heard - not experienced or seen.

Only 12 Months? Has that changed since 2007? I humbly ask, because in the beginning of the "Ask a Army Dentist" thread a dentist said that deployments for G-Dentist are 15 Months.

Only 12 Months? Has that changed since 2007? I humbly ask, because in the beginning of the "Ask a Army Dentist" thread a dentist said that deployments for G-Dentist are 15 Months.

Deployments were shortened to 12 months for all units awhile ago. Most Army dentists only deploy for 6 months. Some will still go for 12.

Nope, incorrect. I did not receive BAH for my 45 day ADT (at school). Either they don't give it if you';re at school for ADT or army owes me $2100 and all my classmates the same money.

Nope, incorrect. I did not receive BAH for my 45 day ADT (at school). Either they don't give it if you';re at school for ADT or army owes me $2100 and all my classmates the same money.

According to the handbook for the Army and the Navy, you're supposed to get BAH and BAS during ADT... I would check that out if you didn't get it man.

Maybe some current HPSP people can shine some light on this topic.

ANYcurrent ARMY OR NAVY HPSP people get BAH (according to location) receive this pay in ADDITION to standard 0-1 pay? Please chime in, asap!

Interesting...what branch was this dentist in? If it was army I would have tracked that...

Army. I just got all of this from my "mentor" currently at Ft. Campbell for his 1 year AEGD. He just got his orders and is deploying in May. He's in the program now, so I didn't think to doubt any of what he said.

Maybe some current HPSP people can shine some light on this topic.

ANYcurrent ARMY OR NAVY HPSP people get BAH (according to location) receive this pay in ADDITION to standard 0-1 pay? Please chime in, asap!

All HPSP students will receive BAH if you are sigle or BAH-2 with dependents based on the zip code of your university.

All HPSP students will receive BAH if you are sigle or BAH-2 with dependents based on the zip code of your university.

Is it one lump sum at the beginning of the 45 day ADT or split between 3 different pay dates? None of my classmates received the BAH for last ADT.

Thanks UsArmyHPSP

Is it one lump sum at the beginning of the 45 day ADT or split between 3 different pay dates? None of my classmates received the BAH for last ADT.

Thanks UsArmyHPSP

I just go t off the phone with the Finance Office at San Antonio. They explain that you will receive BAH II across all three paychecks while on ADT. The BAH is actually computed based on the zip code of the university and paid lump sum on the last paycheck of the ADT.

If you feel that you have not been paid correctly, I suggest that you call the HPSP office 1-877-MED-ARMY and speak with a student advisor who will act on your behalf with the Finance Office.