general studies major

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PuKcAo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering about how you guys think med schools view a general studies major. I was originally Philosophy but I'm not going to be able to finish all of my phil credits on time and take biochem, andvanced phys, and anatomy before graduation which i need to take. If i switch to gen studies I can take all my science classes plus pick and chose classes that I think makes one a more well rounded person and ultimately a better doctor. Let me know what you guys have heard about this major. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

So many people...so little help, what's the problem?

Well, I don't know what "general studies" is -- you'll have to tell us.

Members don't see this ad :)
its a b.s major ,

get a real major.

Tired of these b.s majors with high gpas ..I mean you can get A's while your sleeping in it .. sheesh

At my school we call it Multi-Disciplinary Studies. I started out college as an education major. Decided on the med school path the start of my junior year. So, the only way I could finish all the pre-reqs plus some additional science coursework was to switch to MDS, which I did. I will be graduating with a bachelors in multi-disciplinary studies this May. I also have been accepted to 2 allopathic schools, 1 in state, 1 out of state, and i'm non urm. I was asked about it in my interviews, but I just explained that I couldn't finish the educ. stuff in time and take the coursework. They looked at my courseload and grades and must have thought I looked alright. Bottom line, not the best major in the world, but work hard and it can work for you. Besides, who uses their under grad majors once they're doctors anyway. Good luck!

What about columbia's general studies program. They have the oldest and largest Postbaccalaureate Premedical Pre-health program in the US. Does anyone know about this program?