general surgery job market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The field of surgery has changed so much in the past ten to twenty years. Forget the money, problems with reimbursement, malpractice, doing more work for less pay. What frustrates me the most is the lack of respect for the surgeon or at the least for the job of the surgeon.

I was doing a difficult case last week and I needed help from the scrub nurse, circulating nurse and anesthesiologist; ……and they simply did not care. They were there for their shift work and I was demanding too much of them to do their job. What's even worse is if I yelled or complained, they would write me up and I would have to get sensitivity classes and my privilege maybe suspended.

They’re stacking everything against us.

I'm curious, what could the anesthesiologist have done to help you that he or she would not volunteer to do? I always try to help my surgical colleagues (however I can) when things are not going so well across the drapes. Just as I would expect them to do the same for me.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have evidence that there is a severe shortage of surgeons in the UK?

BTW, the UK underwent this shift in policy not because people couldnt get their surgeries, but because its a cost cutting move.

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/330/7488/379

"BMJ 2005;330:379 (19 February), doi:10.1136/bmj.330.7488.379
News
Shortage of surgeons might threaten NHS targets

Zosia Kmietowicz

London

An additional 3000 surgeons are needed for England and Wales over the next five years if the government's targets for the NHS are to be fulfilled by 2010, says a new report by the Royal College of Surgeons of England."

My program director told us that 40% of general surgeons across the country are over age 55.

There will be plenty of work to do for those of us just starting out training. Maybe we won't earn 500k+/year, but if you're willing to work you can make a good living.

Members don't see this ad :)
My program director told us that 40% of general surgeons across the country are over age 55.

There will be plenty of work to do for those of us just starting out training. Maybe we won't earn 500k+/year, but if you're willing to work you can make a good living.
I've heard similar figures for CT surgeons. Everyone I talk to says to steer clear of CT surgery, except for CT surgeons who tell me that because such a great proportion of CT surgeons are nearing retirement, there will be plenty of work to go around by the time I finish.

1) Probably trying to recruit you. People don't like the fact they are in a dying specialty.

2) All surgeons work really hard. If you want to make money and work 50 hours go to anesthesia or rads.

3) I want to be surgeon because they are the best physicians and I love the patients. Anyone else interested in pushing pills and testing glucose/lipids for the rest of their lives?

4)F that

5) General surgeons I know don't do it for the money.