General -> Vasc, MD vs DO route

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO1987

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in going into vascular surgery and was wondering which pathway would be my best bet. I have a 222 Step 1 and 551 on Level 1, a masters degree, and my class rank is somewhere around 15 (not percent). I know my Step is a little below the average for general surgery but I should still be competitive at some community programs that have some decent fellowship placement. I am also looking into Arkansas. I cant decide if I should do an ACGME residency or an AOA residency before fellowship. Which pathway would provide a higher liklihood of me getting into a vascular surgery fellowship? Will the merger have any effect on this down the road?

Members don't see this ad.

Just go ahead and do ACGME and be sure to apply widely.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am very interested in going into vascular surgery and was wondering which pathway would be my best bet. I have a 222 Step 1 and 551 on Level 1, a masters degree, and my class rank is somewhere around 15 (not percent). I know my Step is a little below the average for general surgery but I should still be competitive at some community programs that have some decent fellowship placement. I am also looking into Arkansas. I cant decide if I should do an ACGME residency or an AOA residency before fellowship. Which pathway would provide a higher liklihood of me getting into a vascular surgery fellowship? Will the merger have any effect on this down the road?
I think you should apply to both. Your step 1 isn't great. There will be plenty of MDs applying with 230+ even to community programs. It's too early to think about whether to do acgme or AOA. Apply both, get those interviews first then decide

Reactions: 1 user
I am a DO applying to vasc fellowship now. i took usmle as well and had the same thought process as you. I wanted to do CRS and applied to allopathic Gen surg the first time and didn't match. Applied both second time and match osteo program that I'm very happy with.
My advice is apply both. Take which ever you get. You need to become a general surgeon first. Focus on Gen surg now, You might even change your mind before your 4th year.
These are the things I wish I knew when I was going through it. Although I'm glad I did a yr of preliminary though.

I am a DO applying to vasc fellowship now. i took usmle as well and had the same thought process as you. I wanted to do CRS and applied to allopathic Gen surg the first time and didn't match. Applied both second time and match osteo program that I'm very happy with.
My advice is apply both. Take which ever you get. You need to become a general surgeon first. Focus on Gen surg now, You might even change your mind before your 4th year.
These are the things I wish I knew when I was going through it. Although I'm glad I did a yr of preliminary though.

Are you applying to DO and MD fellowships? Do you feel as though you are competitive for each coming from a DO GS program? I just want to be as competitive as possible come fellowship time, regardless whether I pursue vascular or another field.

I'm applying MD fellowship only. There are only a handful of Osteo vascular fellowship and they are new. COmpetiveness is somewhat dependent on you and not entirely on the prog. If you go to a good prog and ur CV and LOR suck, then you will struggle. One of my recent chief matched allo vascular in a very good prog and i spoke to another DO that just matched. There are 105progs with approx 120 applicants per year, im fairly confident i will get a spot. its a matter of where and if it will be my first choice. Plus vasc community is very very small, so you can network pretty easily via conferences.

Reactions: 1 user
Funshi - you're coming from a DO gen surg program? What boards can you sit for in regards to vascular? ACGME only allows you to sit for vascular boards if you came from an acgme program no? Thanks!

As I understand it, you can only sit for the osteo boards as a DO even if you go through ACGME program. Although seem like that process will be changing soon.