Genesys Regional Medical Center

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kundun

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was a resident or student physician that could give first hand experience of working in this particular hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't rotated through Genesys yet but I hope to soon. If there is such thing as a "home hospital" I guess that is mine. I'm from the Flint area and know a lot of the hospital staff including a number of the docs. I can only tell you about the political atmosphere there as they have related it to me.

In case you don't know the history, Genesys is a three year old merger of Flint Osteopathic Hosptial and St. Joe's, an allopathic hospital. There has been a lot of tension between the docs and staffs over philosophical differences. Some of this has been sorted through over time but a lot of it remains. The director of clinical rotations at my medical school refuses to let us do core rotations at Genesys because he feels it has become overly allopathic in its training. There are some really good docs there (especially pediatrics)and if you can ignore the politics I think you'll enjoy it. I've talked with a couple of the interns and they really like the program. Maybe I'll see you there!

My father used to be an attending there years ago. I know quite a bit of the docs there as well. There family friends and we've known each other forever. I myself grew up in Grand Blanc, Michigan. So I guess it would literally be my hometown hospital. I've seen pics of it on the internet. It looks so modern. I've heard that people don't want to go there and prefer the nearby Hurley Hospital. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if there were any current or former residents of Genesys that could comment on the orthopedic surgery residency training program.

Hurley Hospital is a totally different environment than Genesys. Since you're from GB you probably already know that. Hurley is a level I trauma center, has a very reputable burn center, and great diversity of pathology. Another thing I personally like about Hurley is that patient backgrounds are also very diverse. You will see patients from all walks of life. Genesys will be more suburban middle class clientele. My nephew (an MD) did his rotations at Hurley and loved it.

I know a Family Practice Resident at Genesys who is a really nice guy. I'm not sure how much he'll know about orthopedics but he could probably steer you in the right direction. His name is Steve Delee. He is just finishing his residency and has been accepted as an attending there starting in July. Good luck.