Genetic counseling

Bellaburgundy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm currently in hs and I at first really wanted to go into finance. But now I feel that the healthcare field is right for me and I can't imagine myself in finance. I was curious if anyone knew about the job prospects and environment of being a genetics counsellor. I am not sure if I will go to med school and I found being a genetic counsellor interesting but I do not know so much about it. I was thinking of majoring in bioinformatics and then getting my masters in genetic counseling. Any advice, tips, words of wisdom? Is it difficult getting into genetic counselling programs?

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm currently in hs and I at first really wanted to go into finance. But now I feel that the healthcare field is right for me and I can't imagine myself in finance. I was curious if anyone knew about the job prospects and environment of being a genetics counsellor. I am not sure if I will go to med school and I found being a genetic counsellor interesting but I do not know so much about it. I was thinking of majoring in bioinformatics and then getting my masters in genetic counseling. Any advice, tips, words of wisdom? Is it difficult getting into genetic counselling programs?

Sorry I couldn't help you, but it may be more helpful to post this in the Pre-Allo Forum, as this is the high school forum. You will get many more responses.

From taking a few minutes to google stuff:
Make sure to take classes in Bio/chem/ochem/biochem... then especially Genetics, statistics, and psychology (these are kind of the big 3 you need to focus on). I'm not familiar with bioinformatics, but I think a degree in Genetics or Psychology would be most beneficial.

According to the BLS, median pay was $56,800/year. The job lookout is very good though. The profession is expected to grow by 41% from 2011 through 2022.

For the environment itself, keep in mind this is a Counseling job first. It isn't so much as doing a bunch of fancy science to figure out chances of certain diseases, as it is about helping people making informed decisions about having children.

From taking a few minutes to google stuff:
Make sure to take classes in Bio/chem/ochem/biochem... then especially Genetics, statistics, and psychology (these are kind of the big 3 you need to focus on). I'm not familiar with bioinformatics, but I think a degree in Genetics or Psychology would be most beneficial.

According to the BLS, median pay was $56,800/year. The job lookout is very good though. The profession is expected to grow by 41% from 2011 through 2022.

For the environment itself, keep in mind this is a Counseling job first. It isn't so much as doing a bunch of fancy science to figure out chances of certain diseases, as it is about helping people making informed decisions about having children.
There is definitely a lot more to this job than helping people make informed decisions about having children! There actually is a great deal of figuring out chances of certain diseases, which would allow the counselor to give support and resources to the patient. There are also genetic counsellors that specialize in oncology, which certainly doesn't only have to do with helping people decide about having children. I'd say read up more on the field if you're curious because it doesn't seem like the people on this forum know too much about it.