GeorgeSquared Program: George Mason & Georgetown Univ.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The microanatomy course is histology and I believe the cell/molecular physiology course is biochem.
The only elective options are Emerging Infectious Diseases (taught by Dr. Fox) and MCAT/DAT prep.

http://georgesquared.georgetown.edu/ABSHome/148392.html

Thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it! I am planning on applying to this program as well (right down the street from my home) so hopefully I'll get in. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea my personal statement included an autoimmune condition i had my freshman year of college that hurt my gpa but was one of the main reasons I'm entering medicine and the fact that my optometrist is an amazing doc who builds hospitals in china and is my inspiration. That coupled with family issues was my personal statement. So motivation is there plus i have really good LOR's. I hope that will be enough to put me over the edge since the gpa is low.

Hey Everyone!

I have a quick question for those who have applied to the ABS program. Did you all by any chance use LORs that were given for Med school applications or did you just request newly written ones specifically for this program? Thanks in advance!

Has anyone who applied for admission for August of 2012 heard anything back yet? If so, how long after your application was considered complete did it take to get an answer? Thank you!

Nope not yet. I finished my application about 9 days ago. she said it was gonna be between 2-3 weeks.

Nope not yet. I finished my application about 9 days ago. she said it was gonna be between 2-3 weeks.

Yea, I applied April 18th and my application was processed and complete about three weeks later in the middle of May. I read somewhere else that once your application is complete it takes about 3-4 weeks to hear back, so I hope I hear back soon! The wait is killer. GOOD LUCK!!!!

The GRE wasn't required for the ABS program so I didnt take it, but my GPA was about a 3.3. I called them yesterday and they said that a decision has been made on my file and that it should take about 2-3 weeks for the letter to come in the mail! crossing fingers!:xf::xf:

Hi,
I was wondering how you guys decided which of the two programs to apply to? I'm not sure if the ABS or Georgesquared SMP would be better.

Hi,
I was wondering how you guys decided which of the two programs to apply to? I'm not sure if the ABS or Georgesquared SMP would be better.

I e-mailed the Program Coordinator, Tanneh and she suggested the right program for me. Her e-mail is on the ABS/ G2MP website and she is VERY helpful! Best wishes!

I also talked to the program coordinator, Tanneh, she is superrrrrr nice and really goes out of her way to help everyone. But my main reason in the end was that I hadnt taken the MCAT yet, and I wasnt prepared to take it. With the ABS program, if you're doing well in it you can apply and transfer your units from the ABS program into the masters program and get a masters in one extra semester. you get your masters in either physiology or pharmacology. That way I would have time to prepare for the MCAT as well. Hope it helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my foreign credential evaluated by World Education Services (WES); but it seems like medical schools don't accept the WES document ....i'm thinking of a post baccalaureate certificate if it will help; however, does anyone know about some medical schools that would accept the WES doc. for my undergraduate degree.

Has anyone who applied for admission for August of 2012 heard anything back yet? If so, how long after your application was considered complete did it take to get an answer? Thank you!

I applied on April 18th, they said they had all my materials on May 10th and a decision was made on May 29th. In my opinion that's a quick turn around. I talked to Ms. Kamara (who is indeed very helpful & sweet) and she told me that I should have something in the mail in about two more weeks. I hope I got in, but only God knows at this point lol. My cGPA was a 3.35

Hey Everyone!

I have a quick question for those who have applied to the ABS program. Did you all by any chance use LORs that were given for Med school applications or did you just request newly written ones specifically for this program? Thanks in advance!

I just used the ones that were sent off to medical school as well as my same personal statement. I asked Ms. Kamara to make sure that was ok and she said it was.

I applied on April 18th, they said they had all my materials on May 10th and a decision was made on May 29th. In my opinion that's a quick turn around. I talked to Ms. Kamara (who is indeed very helpful & sweet) and she told me that I should have something in the mail in about two more weeks. I hope I got in, but only God knows at this point lol. My cGPA was a 3.35

I just got my letter in the mail yesterday that I got in for fall 2012!!! yayyyy im so excited. i applied the same day, April 18th. Anyone else hear back?? Good-luck to everyone else who applied!

Got in as well, but turning them down. For those wondering, this class will be ~80.

Got in as well, but turning them down. For those wondering, this class will be ~80.
Actually, I think Dr. Fox said that "we expect the MS to remain small at a max of 40 students" in her email. Can anyone confirm?

Hey All, just been accepted into the ABS program! Have a lot of decision making to do-was accepted into another program. I did want to mention that I received an email from Dr. Fox and it stated-
"We're expecting your cohort to be 80 students or less this year." So the above poster is correct.

Last edited:
Hey All, just been accepted into the ABS program! Have a lot of decision making to do-was accepted into another program. I did want to mention that I received an email from Dr. Fox and it stated-
"We're expecting your cohort to be 80 students or less this year." So the above poster is correct.

congratulations! I just received my informal acceptance email from Dr. Fox as well. Good luck with figuring out which program you want to attend! I'm still waiting to hear back from another school, but I'm really interested in this program :)

Anyone know the fate of current students who JUST finished this program??

I cannot find the stats of current students who JUST finished the program. However, I found the following, if you haven't already.

Student Stats – Certificate Program 2010-11
-52 students admitted for fall 2010
-From all over the US - UVA, U Mich., Princeton, Yale, Cornell, Boston U., Duke, U. Tenn., Purdue, San Francisco State, and many more!
-51 students continued through spring 2011
-46 students earned certificate in May 2011
-2 accepted to dental schools (Tufts, VCU)
-9 accepted to medical schools (VCOM, U. Miami, USC, Howard, Amer. U. Caribbean)
-26 accepted to MS programs (Georgetown, Yale, USF)

Majority of students are completing MS degrees and applying for admission to
med/dent/grad for Fall 2012

Student Stats – Certificate Program 2012 & 2013
FY12 – Certificate Program
-68 students admitted for fall 2011
-66 students continued into spring 2012
FY13 (as of 05/08/12)
-26 students admitted
-28 students waitlisted
-Target of 80 admitted students by August with emphasis on increasing quality of
students

Student Stats – MS 2011-12
-21 students admitted for fall 2011 (average GPA 3.5)
-From schools all over the US - UVA, Clemson, Columbia, Villanova, Cornell, Mason, Duke, UC Berkeley and many more!
-20 students continued through spring 2012. As of 05/08/2012:
-8 applied for med school fall 2012
-1 admitted NJ Medical College
-1 admitted SC Medical School
-1 admitted AT Still Osteopathic Med
-1 admitted Medical College GA
-1 waitlisted at Georgetown SOM
-1 waitlisted at Georgetown SOM & EVMS
-1 waitlisted LECOM
-1 no offers
-1 applied for dental school fall 2012
-others plan to apply to medical or dental schools for fall 2013.
Student Stats – MS 2013
FY13 (as of 05/08/2012)
-21 students admitted
-12 students waitlisted
-Target of 30 admitted students by July

SOURCE: http://princewilliam.gmu.edu/documents/PWCMgntTeamMeetingNotesMAY2012.pdf

Last edited:
Impressive sleuthing! There are a couple of errors. Here is the updated version:

9 med school applicants
1 Medical College of Georgia
1 University of South Carolina
2 LECOM
1 New Jersey Med School
1 Georgetown
1 AT Still DO School
1 not interviewed
1 waitlisted

I'm the one who is waitlisted (Georgetown and an in-state). Fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm proud to be a part of the first year of the G2SMP program (the ABS program has been around for a year already). This has been the hardest and most productive year of my life and I'm loving it so far. I'm not sure if I can fit in everything that there is to be said in this post so I'll list some pros and cons and a little bit about our class.

Pros:

1) Our advising support is INCREDIBLE! We don't need to worry about registering for classes or planning anything except for studying and keeping in touch with our medical schools. The faculty and staff are extremely supportive.

2) Small class size. Since we have such few students (21), we all know each other really well.

3) Our small class size also makes it easy to study together and since we're not graded against each other, the atmosphere is noncompetitive.

4) The Prince William campus of GMU has very few other programs and there is a lot of quiet space to study. We also have 24 hour access to the building and our own study room.

Cons:

1) Scheduling- Our schedule isn't fully set yet, our next class starts on Monday but our schedule isn't up for it yet. It makes it a little difficult to schedule flights and buses but if you're going to be in a program like this, you're not really going to travel much anyway.

2) Scheduling of rooms- We start earlier in the semester than GMU classes. Sometimes GMU forgets that, and we end up being locked outside of our room or having to switch rooms because it was double booked. This has only happened a couple of times and it'll probably be fixed by next year.

3) There isn't really much to do in Manassas. This could be a good thing, because it keeps us from being distracted. :)

4)The chairs are squeaky. Like REALLY squeaky.

About the program:

Not sure if this should be in the "Cons" but the classes are HARD. I guess most SMPs are pretty difficult, though. This year, we have 21 students, but next year's class should be a little bigger. We run about a week behind the Georgetown SMP and Georgetown MS1's. Most of the Georgetown lectures are screen captures but there are a few live ones as well. We also have full-time TA's who hold reviews after lectures and before exams. The school year starts in August and ends in June.

I hope this helps! If you're serious about working your butt off next year, then definitely apply.

Feel free to ask me any questions except "What are my chances?". I can't answer that because I would be of no help. I will say that our class has a variety of GPAs, MCATs, and undergrad schools.

-ramnation
Thanks so much for all that information, Ramnation! How was the success rate in getting into medical school after completion of the program for the 21 students that were in your class incuding yourself?

Thanks so much for all that information, Ramnation! How was the success rate in getting into medical school after completion of the program for the 21 students that were in your class incuding yourself?

Student Stats – MS 2011-12
-21 students admitted for fall 2011 (average GPA 3.5)
-20 students continued through spring 2012. As of 05/08/2012:
-8 applied for med school fall 2012
-1 admitted NJ Medical College
-1 admitted SC Medical School
-1 admitted AT Still Osteopathic Med
-1 admitted Medical College GA
-1 waitlisted at Georgetown SOM
-1 waitlisted at Georgetown SOM & EVMS
-1 waitlisted LECOM
-1 no offers
-1 applied for dental school fall 2012
-others plan to apply to medical or dental schools for fall 2013.

Should I work part-time (24 hours a week) or prn (12 hours a week) while in the ABS program? I cannot afford unemployment, however, I cannot afford poor grades. What do you suggest I do? I appreciate any feedback.

Should I work part-time (24 hours a week) or prn (12 hours a week) while in the ABS program? I cannot afford unemployment, however, I cannot afford poor grades. What do you suggest I do? I appreciate any feedback.

It really is up to you but at the end of the day, you're there to get good grades. Some people are able to work PT and still do that. I believe if there is will, there is a WAY. I am in the same predicament myself. I just believe, everything will work itself out at the end of the day. Best wishes!

Ditto on what elusiveCHILD said. You're there for one reason. If you're in the certificate program, start at the fewest hours and then up them later as you find a balance.

Dear ramnation, congrats on completing the program and getting one step closer to Georgetown! Question: were a lot of students in your class got interviews at Georgetown??

Thanks! I think 8 people applied to GU. 4 got interviews.

Hey everyone! Is anyone else attending the G2SMP this fall? I just received my acceptance letter in the mail and 99% sure I will be attending once I get my finances sorted out. I was thinking about starting a new thread specifically for 2012-2013. The website still has last year's info about the old Google group, etc. so I'm not entirely sure what the best way of contacting other students would be. Thanks!

Last edited:
I also talked to the program coordinator, Tanneh, she is superrrrrr nice and really goes out of her way to help everyone. But my main reason in the end was that I hadnt taken the MCAT yet, and I wasnt prepared to take it. With the ABS program, if you're doing well in it you can apply and transfer your units from the ABS program into the masters program and get a masters in one extra semester. you get your masters in either physiology or pharmacology. That way I would have time to prepare for the MCAT as well. Hope it helps!

Did anyone do well in the ABS program, then transferred to the master's program for another semester, successfully? This sounds like a perfect opportunity for me. Thanks.

Hey everyone! Is anyone else attending the G2SMP this fall? I just received my acceptance letter in the mail and 99% sure I will be attending once I get my finances sorted out. I was thinking about starting a new thread specifically for 2012-2013. The website still has last year's info about the old Google group, etc. so I'm not entirely sure what the best way of contacting other students would be. Thanks!

Congratulations, DiamondSprings! I wish you all the best. As for creating another thread, whenever I Google "gmu abs forum," this site or forum was always dependable. I just look at the last page for the most updated reply. However, not entirely credible, since we are unsure if admitted students even know about this website. According to Tanneh, Dr. Fox will include our email addresses to a new Google group, in which other students may be contacted.

It would be helpful if the G2SMP and/or ABS programs create a Facebook account to keep us all updated. Hmmm....

Hey Everyone,

Former ABSer here. For those who are asking about jobs, work only if you have to. Fall semester is lighter than Spring semester. There were a handful of people who did not graduate.

1/3 of the class is completing the Masters this summer, there are also some who will attend in the fall and spring.

In addition to Georgetown's MS in Physiology and Biophysics, I know of 1 acceptance to the CAM and 1 to the Pharmacology.

Feel free to send specific Qs my way,
GL!

Last edited:

I think a FB group is a great idea. I searched it, but only a group for the 2011 ABS group came up.

Super random question: is there a way to get your deposit back should your plan changes???

When does the program start ( ABS)? I just got accepted and I WILL be there!!!!! I am SO GRATEFUL!

When does the program start ( ABS)? I just got accepted and I WILL be there!!!!! I am SO GRATEFUL!

Student Orientation is on August 23rd and program begins on August 27th! Congrats and good luck to you! I was accepted sometime in June, however I am no longer attending as I have been accepted to PCOM's post bacc program. I wish you all the best!!!!

Congrats! What made you decide to attend PCOM's? Are you mainly interested in DO? Thanks!

Congrats! What made you decide to attend PCOM's? Are you mainly interested in DO? Thanks!

I actually would love to be a DO! However, I'd be very grateful if granted an opportunity to be a MD. I chose PCOM over the ABS program due to their statistics of students getting into the DO program (which would allow me to avoid the gap year) and I also didnt like the fact that the ABS program is 11.5 months! However, I truly believe the ABS program is an awesome opportunity and if PCOM hadnt accepted me, I would have definitely chosen this program. May I ask why your choosing the ABS?

I actually would love to be a DO! However, I'd be very grateful if granted an opportunity to be a MD. I chose PCOM over the ABS program due to their statistics of students getting into the DO program (which would allow me to avoid the gap year) and I also didnt like the fact that the ABS program is 11.5 months! However, I truly believe the ABS program is an awesome opportunity and if PCOM hadnt accepted me, I would have definitely chosen this program. May I ask why your choosing the ABS?

I don't blame you and the gap year can be very hard especially when you're so close to fulfilling your dream. I chose the ABS because of the structure, the support ( Ms. Tanneh is AMAZING), and it was the best option for me. I got accepted to the Drexel IHS program but ABS just seemed to be a better fit. I am hopeful that everything will work out in my favor this upcoming year and I am ready to work. But congrats again, I've heard great things about PCOM!

Actually the program was 8 months (End of Aug.-Mid May) with a 5 week long winter break. If you were to do the summer MS then you would start mid July and finish in August, it would be 11 months if you don't count winter break. I hope this helps!

Anyone out there that got into the program and did undergrad at George Mason? I an an undergrad senior and this program is sounding better and better. I had the chance to speak to some of the George squared students and they told me that they loved it. They said it was very hard but they loved that the classes were small and they emphasized the fact that their class really got to know each other and was able to help each other out through the intense ABS program. They also loved that everyone in the program is so close and have been able to make awesome friendships :)

Anyone out there that got into the program and did undergrad at George Mason? I an an undergrad senior and this program is sounding better and better. I had the chance to speak to some of the George squared students and they told me that they loved it. They said it was very hard but they loved that the classes were small and they emphasized the fact that their class really got to know each other and was able to help each other out through the intense ABS program. They also loved that everyone in the program is so close and have been able to make awesome friendships :)

Hi, Ipp208. I graduated with a BS in Bio last May, and I got into the ABS program starting this August. Do you have a specific question?

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and came across it looking for reviews on the ABS program. I just received my admissions packet this past Friday for the 2012-13 class! Im excited and ready to begin!. :)
For those of you that completed the program with an interest in medical schools, what did you do for the gap year?
How efficient was the MCAT prep the program offered?
And how were the classes?

For those of you who completed the ABS program, did you feel like it was worth it? Is 20 credits enough to make a difference? Also, after completing the ABS program, can pre-dent students do the masters at Georgetown or is it just for pre-med? Thank you!

For those of you who completed the ABS program, did you feel like it was worth it? Is 20 credits enough to make a difference? Also, after completing the ABS program, can pre-dent students do the masters at Georgetown or is it just for pre-med? Thank you!

Can anyone answer this question?

I got accepted into both programs and am having a tough time deciding. I have to answer by this Friday!

Also, can anyone share what life is like in the G2SMP program? How difficult are the classes?