Georgetown, Baylor, UT-Houston?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uterus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of preparing my ROL. Any thoughts on these programs? Has anybody interviewed there? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

uterus said:
I am in the middle of preparing my ROL. Any thoughts on these programs? Has anybody interviewed there? :confused:

Hi--

I rotated at Georgetown. The residents are very nice & compotent ppl! Everyone gets along very well -- and there was never any back-stabbing or talking about other residents as I've seen at other programs. There was even an intern who wasn't quite catching on to things as fast as everyoen else and while some wanted to complain about him/her the upper levels cut that out and suggested that person would learn in their own time. The point is: the residents are very VERY supportive of each other -- including staying late to help if things are going crazy (this is not a requirement -- but just something I saw everyone do out of kindness). The staff is also very amazing. great teachers & very patient. :thumbup: Dr. Tchabo :thumbup: is a reason to go to Georgetown. As a fourth year student -- he let me do so much both in the OR and on the floors. You learn in leaps and bounds with him.
as far as DC -- it depends on your personality if you want to live there. I personally decided I'm not as big of a fan as I had initially thought. But, I thought I'd write this b/c I was treated really well when I rotated there -- and I hope Georgetown acquires some really great new residents!

As for the rumors about Georgetown being in financial trouble -- I spoke to the PD about this while I was there. While it is true they have recently merged with Washington Hosp Center - and there may be more merging in the future-- thsi woudl only benefit you as a resident not hurt you.
Georgetown has a truly amazing group of residents/faculty. I can't emphasize that enough.
good luck with your decision!
I hope this helps!

Hello Snowinter,

Thank you for your response! I am looking for a pure academic institution with a good reputation and I am very concerned that the merge of Georgetown and Washington Hospital Center would cause the decrease in the quality and reputation of the program. I don't know what to think about it. I totally agree with you that their residents and attendings are absolutely awesome!
Best of luck!
Uterus

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think merging would change their reputation; many institutions reach out to other centers when their volume is low. For example, GWU gets its volume from Fairfax and Holy Cross. You would still come out having done a residency at Georgetown (if you are interested in the *name* ) Residents are already rotating at WHC for some OB and gyn volume as it is .. so It really is no differnet than the current set-up .. they just might to it even more.

go with where you think you will be most happy over the next four years & get the best training!

good luck!

uterus said:
Hello Snowinter,

Thank you for your response! I am looking for a pure academic institution with a good reputation and I am very concerned that the merge of Georgetown and Washington Hospital Center would cause the decrease in the quality and reputation of the program. I don't know what to think about it. I totally agree with you that their residents and attendings are absolutely awesome!
Best of luck!
Uterus

Bump... Anyone know anything about Houston or Baylor?

Thanks!