Georgetown SMP Application Thread for 2015-2016 Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMU2013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I didn't see this yet...so I decided to make one. I was recently accepted to the Georgetown SMP for the 2015-2016 academic year and wanted to create an opportunity for anyone else considering it to discuss the program.

Members don't see this ad.

mind sharing your stats? I'm planning on applying soon

Sure thing! I have a 3.5gpa and 30 MCAT. No luck in this medical school application cycle so was surprised to be accepted to this so soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the acceptance! well there time in this medical school application cycle so best of luck with that. Did u apply early to the georgetown smp

Recently accepted as well! Will probably attend the way things look now, looking forward to meeting you all!

Weird! the website says they will start accepting applicants in November...guess you guys are pretty qualified :)

Congrats on the acceptance! well there time in this medical school application cycle so best of luck with that. Did u apply early to the georgetown smp

Thanks man. Yeah I was "complete" 9/23. It's rolling admissions so you should apply soon if you're on the fence!

Recently accepted as well! Will probably attend the way things look now, looking forward to meeting you all!

Mind sharing stats? trying to see if there is a trend or if it's like med school where there's no rhyme or reason haha

Weird! the website says they will start accepting applicants in November...guess you guys are pretty qualified :)

I saw this too, but I don't think they expected people to apply as early as we did haha. People applying in January are considered early!

I agree...I read in past threads that you have to do BETTER than the med students that are in your classes to get an A. Also, apparently if you don't get near a 4.0 then you just screw yourself over...essentially it would be a $47,000 mistake. haha I'm still on the fence about it for those reasons.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I've gathered on SDN:

Pros - If you pull good grades in this program, you will become marketable to other medical schools and Georgetown itself to boot. Most SMPs are feeders into their own med schools.

Cons - High cost of living, high competition - lots of people, very small percentage matriculating to Gtown.

I'm still applying though - this is still a well known, fantastic program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I was a 3.3/3.1/31 with good ECs and a nice upward trend. The only thing I'm worried about with this program is the difficulty, but I've heard if you work hard you can succeed.

You seem perfect for an SMP! I have similar stats, GPA wise. Are you applying to others? Congrats on your acceptance :), don't worry about how hard it is to get an A...just leave it up to your raw determination to go to med school and you will emerge successful :)

Hope you're right Benjamin...I applied to Tufts as well, won't hear from them until January at the earliest. From what I've read on SDN, it would probably be easier to do well there, but its 65k(!!) and I'm afraid its not as nationally known as Georgetown. Anyone else in this dilemma?

Question for anybody that has graduated, is currently in, or has a lot of knowledge about the program:

Approximately what percentage of students apply to medical school during the same year as the program?

I just got my acceptance! I applied pretty early, because my GPA is a bit low.
Stats: CA resident, 3.3 cGPA, 3.0 sGPA, 33 MCAT (10 PS, 10 V, 13 BS), graduated undergrad in 2012, been working full-time in research ever since. 4 years of hospice volunteering, 2 years hospital experience, tons of shadowing, yadda yadda yadda.

I'm also applying to medical schools (MD and DO) right now, but it's not looking great. This was the biggest relief to get.

Last edited:
I just got my acceptance yesterday!

Question for anybody that has graduated, is currently in, or has a lot of knowledge about the program:

Approximately what percentage of students apply to medical school during the same year as the program?

Hi there! I am currently in the SMP. While I do not have an exact percentage, the vast majority do apply the year of. This is in part because the "SMP advantage," i.e.-special separate consideration by GUSOM, only applies in that one year. There are a fair number that only apply to GUSOM and plan otherwise to apply the year after. I have friends who are holding off because they did not have an MCAT/wanted to retake the MCAT later, wanted more experiences, or just felt it wasn't a good time to apply and they'd rather go all-in with SMP grades included.

I am happy to answer any questions, though be forewarned that I may not be as prompt in responding as I might like as we are currently in the midst of our most demanding module, Cardiopulmonary (med class). :)

Hey everyone! I am planning on applying here since I know I won't get any love next application cycle with my GPA and I think doing well here would really help me. What are my chances with a 3.0 gpa and 32 MCAT?
Appreciate the help y'all!

Also a current student in the program, I think you'll be fine applying, doctordoctor14. Best of luck! If you have any questions, feel free to PM me! This is a great program; it's hard work but if you're ready to commit like never before, you'll do well.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks @needcafe!! I hope to be submitting my application this week. I have to get LORs which might take a while since I don't have a committee letter as of yet.
That's awesome people have already been accepted, but are they always this fast with decisions or was it because it was relatively early so they were able to be faster? Either way, best of luck to everyone applying!

Hey everyone! I am planning on applying here since I know I won't get any love next application cycle with my GPA and I think doing well here would really help me. What are my chances with a 3.0 gpa and 32 MCAT?
Appreciate the help y'all!

My stats are pretty similar to yours, and I got in a few weeks ago. Apply as soon as you can! Hope to see you there!

My stats are pretty similar to yours, and I got in a few weeks ago. Apply as soon as you can! Hope to see you there!
That's awesome @nosarcasm!! Congrats!

I am submitting everything tonight, just waiting on letters of recs, which I hope will be sent in soon. How long after you submitted everything did you hear back?

I'm also going to apply ASAP! I hope it's not too late for me.

I'm also going to apply ASAP! I hope it's not too late for me.

Definitely not too late - a ton of people here applied in the last few days of the application being open - in May :p

@FriendOfTheCupcake @needcafe

Thanks for lending your experience to this thread...I'm wondering how your stats compare to mine and others mentioned on this thread, and whether you guys are getting interviews currently? I'd like to apply same year, but I fear a semesters-worth of grade won't be enough and I will have just burned a lot of money. I appreciate your input.

@FriendOfTheCupcake @needcafe

Thanks for lending your experience to this thread...I'm wondering how your stats compare to mine and others mentioned on this thread, and whether you guys are getting interviews currently? I'd like to apply same year, but I fear a semesters-worth of grade won't be enough and I will have just burned a lot of money. I appreciate your input.

I applied with some sort of 3.2x overall, just under 3.0 science towards the end of fall and got into SMP then - brought it up to 3.3x and 3.07 at the end of my school's winter quarter, and so those were the stats I applied to AMCAS with. 31 MCAT from 2011. I have had/have interviews. :) Though I'd say that applying to med school year of is helped with an upward trend type GPA; if you have a downward trend, that may be tougher, though it is ultimately a case-by-case matter, and there are certainly student doing fine in that situation. Hope that helps!

Anyone think it's worth it to apply to this SMP with a 3.4 GPA but a lower-than-average MCAT (26)?

Anyone think it's worth it to apply to this SMP with a 3.4 GPA but a lower-than-average MCAT (26)?

As in, apply and get into the program? There's definitely a chance of getting in the SMP itself, but unless you're set on DO and Caribbean schools (but even still with these) I would suggest re-taking the MCAT for applying to med schools. The SMP can prove a lot grade-wise, but it doesn't fix the MCAT.

Reactions: 3 users

You are asking if it would be a smart bet to take to apply to a competitive program with below average statistics, both GPA & MCAT. I would say no. You are going to have to put in some hours and get that MCAT up...even DO schools wouldn't have you as their first, second, or third pick.

As in, apply and get into the program? There's definitely a chance of getting in the SMP itself, but unless you're set on DO and Caribbean schools (but even still with these) I would suggest re-taking the MCAT for applying to med schools. The SMP can prove a lot grade-wise, but it doesn't fix the MCAT.

I plan to retake the MCAT prior to applying to any medical school. Just wasn't sure what people's opinion would be on the SMP with that MCAT.

I plan to retake the MCAT prior to applying to any medical school. Just wasn't sure what people's opinion would be on the SMP with that MCAT.

If you're definitely re-taking the MCAT, then it shouldn't be a problem, especially since your GPA is above the program average. Let them know!

Obviously there is no guarantee since it is a competitive program (I think the number our year hovered around 1/10?) but it shouldn't count against you. What matter also are your experiences. There are people in the program with much worse sets of GPAs and MCATs than seen on this thread, but they're great individuals who will make wonderful physicians, and the SMP office sees that in its applicants.

Just got accepted this morning!

Last edited:
I was complete two days ago and was accepted today.

Last edited:
LizzyM 67-70 but I have 3 MD interviews so far this cycle so I'm waiting to see how those play out!

LizzyM 67-70 but I have 3 MD interviews so far this cycle so I'm waiting to see how those play out!
Thanks for sharing! And that's awesome, best of luck with your MD interviews!! It's nice you have something to fall back on, but I'm sure you won't need it!

Quick question/clarification - in supplemental data, there is a personal statement of 500 words. Can this be identical to the statement of purpose? And if so, should I include it in both places?

Quick question/clarification - in supplemental data, there is a personal statement of 500 words. Can this be identical to the statement of purpose? And if so, should I include it in both places?

I emailed them about this, and was told to put a note in my supplemental data page to see the personal statement section of the application, where I attached the essay. Email/call them if you want to be sure; they're usually pretty quick about answering my inquiries. Let me know if you have other questions!

I emailed them about this, and was told to put a note in my supplemental data page to see the personal statement section of the application, where I attached the essay. Email/call them if you want to be sure; they're usually pretty quick about answering my inquiries. Let me know if you have other questions!
I was wondering the same thing, thanks for the info.

Am I the only one who barely has anything for the honors/awards section? lol, I have a few things, but not as much as I think they want to see :/ we'll see how this goes.

Am I the only one who barely has anything for the honors/awards section? lol, I have a few things, but not as much as I think they want to see :/ we'll see how this goes.

They say to put them if they're not on your resume/CV so I'm just leaving them blank and adding everything to my CV so that it looks more holistic haha.

They say to put them if they're not on your resume/CV so I'm just leaving them blank and adding everything to my CV so that it looks more holistic haha.
Haha wait we can do that? I thought we were supposed to include it in the Supplemental Data under "post-secondary honors/awards." Should I just refer them to my CV?

lol i feel you. my honors/awards section only has one thing on it. 3.5 or above during a (only ONE) semester. LOL