Georgetown SMP Application Thread for 2015-2016 Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you set on Cinci? It was my top choice, but they waitlisted me. Not gonna wait until July to hear back from them...Forget them lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Are you set on Cinci? It was my top choice, but they waitlisted me. Not gonna wait until July to hear back from them...Forget them lol.

I'm 99% set. I'm not expecting to hear good things back from Temple (haven't heard a peep since mid-Feb.), but even if I did I've gotten so excited about Cinci it would be hard to make new plans. Best of luck with the waitlist!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm 99% set. I'm not expecting to hear good things back from Temple (haven't heard a peep since mid-Feb.), but even if I did I've gotten so excited about Cinci it would be hard to make new plans. Best of luck with the waitlist!
Cinci is a great program, but even if I get off the waitlist I will do Gtown, I think. Congrats on getting in...I heard they're expecting 700-800 apps for 32 spots! Now that's ridiculous.

Hello all.

I was just accepted to GT SMP this morning. My stats were 3.21 uGPA (upward trend 3.9 last semester), 3.1 sGPA, 32 MCAT. I went to school at Penn State but moved to Houston, Texas soon after I graduated to take a full-time research job at MD Anderson. I have concerns that I was wondering if some one could address here but I will continue to look around.

Do SMP-graduates really get accepted into nation-wide MD programs?
Frankly, I've felt like none of the SMPs are truly straightforward when you ask this question. They all insure you that you definitely can get into a great medical school if you do well but then rumblings around here and a phone conversation with the dean of admissions at Cooper University Medical School have put some serious doubt into my head.

As I said, I've had a pretty strong upward trend in my GPA and I'm fairly confident that I've put some of my academic demons to rest and capable of doing very well even against medical students. Is there a scenario where I could get a 3.5+ GT SMP GPA and still not get into a medical school and have to settle for a DO school?

How important are publications?
This question might be a huge long shot to ask here but I'm going to ask anyway and see what happens. I have an incredible passion for medical research and I would ideally want to do an MD/Ph.D. MD/Ph.D program's are much more exclusive than MD programs and since I am not now competitive for regular MD, I have serious doubts I will ever do enough to become competitive for MD/Ph.D.

I guess I am really wondering whether it would be best for me to stay where I am for a year, get a primary authorship publication for sure, potentially 2 primary authorship publications and then re-apply for the SMP the next year or if this just a waste of time and I should enter the SMP asap.

What is the average graduate GPA for students in this program upon graduation? For example, is it unheard of to obtain a 3.8 in the program?

What is the average graduate GPA for students in this program upon graduation? For example, is it unheard of to obtain a 3.8 in the program?

From what I've heard, no. However a 3.8 would mean that you were around the 80+ percentile for all of the MS1's and SMP students.

Hi guys!! Excited to finally join this group after a loong time waiting for my application to be complete.

Complete 3/18
Accepted 3/23!! :)

Almost didn't apply bc of the cost of the program but so glad I did. Good luck to everyone still in the process!

I was just accepted to GT SMP this morning. My stats were 3.21 uGPA (upward trend 3.9 last semester), 3.1 sGPA, 32 MCAT. I went to school at Penn State but moved to Houston, Texas soon after I graduated to take a full-time research job at MD Anderson. I have concerns that I was wondering if some one could address here but I will continue to look around.

Frankly, I've felt like none of the SMPs are truly straightforward when you ask this question. They all insure you that you definitely can get into a great medical school if you do well but then rumblings around here and a phone conversation with the dean of admissions at Cooper University Medical School have put some serious doubt into my head.

As I said, I've had a pretty strong upward trend in my GPA and I'm fairly confident that I've put some of my academic demons to rest and capable of doing very well even against medical students. Is there a scenario where I could get a 3.5+ GT SMP GPA and still not get into a medical school and have to settle for a DO school?

How are people not straightforward about this question? It's directly answered on the SMP website: http://smp.georgetown.edu/alumni . If you're curious about our year, we've even had recent California interviews (no, not Loma Linda - UC schools) and one of my friends just got into UNC-Chapel Hill. West, South, Midwest, East coasts - we've got them all right now.

Of course getting a 3.5+ GPA doesn't guarantee you an MD spot. Getting a 4.0 and 44 MCAT doesn't guarantee people, why would this? You'd likely receive an interview invite from Georgetown med, but if they don't like you're personality or don't think you're as good a fit as the next person, well, sorry. That doesn't mean you're "stuck going DO." By the way, not everyone who applies DO gets into DO schools - they can smell someone who doesn't like DO a mile away, and deny hundreds who won't appreciate the spot they could have had. If you're that against DO, you can easily go to a Caribbean school instead.

Frankly, I don't like your attitude. You sound very accusatory and self-assured, and I don't very much care for people who talk about "settling for DO" because that says to me that they don't understand the privilege of being a physician, or care to understand those outside of their type. People like this won't do well in the Georgetown SMP community. I hope that's just a product of your writing style but even if so, you need to think more critically before writing out things that degrade absolutely fine and respectable professionals. But, onto the next question.

How important are publications?
This question might be a huge long shot to ask here but I'm going to ask anyway and see what happens. I have an incredible passion for medical research and I would ideally want to do an MD/Ph.D. MD/Ph.D program's are much more exclusive than MD programs and since I am not now competitive for regular MD, I have serious doubts I will ever do enough to become competitive for MD/Ph.D.

I guess I am really wondering whether it would be best for me to stay where I am for a year, get a primary authorship publication for sure, potentially 2 primary authorship publications and then re-apply for the SMP the next year or if this just a waste of time and I should enter the SMP asap.

It's not impossible to go MD/PhD but it is difficult. I don't think you'd be able to get much farther in the MD process without an SMP since publications wouldn't really add to the application. They would be helpful if you did go MD/PhD. If you think you can get one or two 2 primary authorship publications, maybe the first option would be good for you.

Have you considered doing PhD first? You might have an easier time getting into PhD programs, and it guarantees the research you enjoy; plus, if you still want to do MD, you'll likely be in a better position when applying since GPA doesn't mean as much and PhD = more respect.

Hope that at least begins to help.

Members don't see this ad :)
fwiw @Therapy Inc , I didn't get the "accusatory" vibe from your post at all. I think it's pretty common for capable, motivated, ambitious people who prefer an MD spot to think of DO as settling. In fact, it's pretty common in pre-osteo for DO students to encourage premeds to take MD acceptances over DO ones if they're lucky enough to secure both.

I don't have any input to your actual questions, but was a little taken aback by Friendofthecupcake's answer so I wanted to make sure to respond. Best of luck with your decision :)

fwiw @Therapy Inc , I didn't get the "accusatory" vibe from your post at all. I think it's pretty common for capable, motivated, ambitious people who prefer an MD spot to think of DO as settling. In fact, it's pretty common in pre-osteo for DO students to encourage premeds to take MD acceptances over DO ones if they're lucky enough to secure both.

I don't have any input to your actual questions, but was a little taken aback by Friendofthecupcake's answer so I wanted to make sure to respond. Best of luck with your decision :)

The accusatory feeling wasn't in reference to that (it was to the SMP's not answering the first question which is odd given the list, again I'm hoping that is more a product of the writing style - so this may not be a thing). I'm just really not a fan of the "settling" thought surrounding DO.

It's fine to have a preference, but to call it "settling" is an insult and demeans all 80,000+ DO physicians currently in the US. DO's are often indistinguishable from MD's and yet we consider it to OK to perpetuate a stigma that began decades upon decades ago - why? Some people go into the medical field hoping to be a DO because they've been inspired by their own DO physicians and I've seen students feel crushed because others just assume it's because they weren't "as good." The goal of this program is to become a doctor, ideally on terms that work for you, but degrading others (whether you mean to or not) does not a good physician make. And just because others do it does not mean that it's OK. You'll come to find when in the program that it really doesn't matter either way - it will be exceptionally clear even more when you find yourself practicing alongside both MD's and DO's - and these thoughts are not only silly but downright harmful. Your classmates don't need that when they've already gone through so much emotional stress; and one doesn't need to (nor may some be in the position to) deny options that may actually be quite great for them just because of hearsay.

Edit: I mean general "you," not you specifically. :) Sorry to rant, I just think the whole mentality is more harmful than anything (and also pretty unnecessary with the DO/MD residencies combining), and I don't think people realize how much power words hold sometimes. I wouldn't have responded as such OP had just asked about MD's instead of seeing to add the "settling with DO" bit.

(Sorry, I'm usually very light-hearted and I admittedly overreacted in parts...but I get very serious if I feel that someone is unnecessarily demeaning to others, especially in a community that needs support and encouragement in following the paths they want.)

Edit: need to fix grammar :(

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
How are people not straightforward about this question? It's directly answered on the SMP website: http://smp.georgetown.edu/alumni . If you're curious about our year, we've even had recent California interviews (no, not Loma Linda - UC schools) and one of my friends just got into UNC-Chapel Hill. West, South, Midwest, East coasts - we've got them all right now.

I see that the list is published and it's impressive. However, the worry there is the known fact that SMP matriculation into medical school is not independent of previous performances. Therefore, a list of schools SMP students got into doesn't really answer the question of whether I can realistically get into those schools. For example, if all the students who got into those medical schools had a 3.5+ uGPA before entering the SMP, then it doesn't help me answer the question of whether I personally will benefit from doing the SMP.

Of course getting a 3.5+ GPA doesn't guarantee you an MD spot. Getting a 4.0 and 44 MCAT doesn't guarantee people, why would this? You'd likely receive an interview invite from Georgetown med, but if they don't like you're personality or don't think you're as good a fit as the next person, well, sorry. That doesn't mean you're "stuck going DO." By the way, not everyone who applies DO gets into DO schools - they can smell someone who doesn't like DO a mile away, and deny hundreds who won't appreciate the spot they could have had. If you're that against DO, you can easily go to a Caribbean school instead.

Yikes. I didn't intend to degrade a whole group of people because I said I didn't want to settle for a DO. As far as I know, the DO schools do have easier application standards than MD schools do when you look at them on a global level. I'm sure you can find DO schools that have higher application statistics than some MD schools but I think I can fairly confidently still maintain the first statement.

Furthermore, the DO stigma still does apply for research. I don't know if it's a product of DO schools not able to help their students manage the clinical-empirical axis or just a stupid perception from medical hierarchy. It's unfortunate but real. Some schools have started DO-PhD programs but again speaking globally, the DO funding rates for RO1 grants is lower than Ph.D, MD-Ph.Ds, and MDs.

I don't think this is a necessary place to discuss the known pitfalls of going to a Caribbean school (Note: not trying to demean everyone that goes to these schools).

Frankly, I don't like your attitude. You sound very accusatory and self-assured, and I don't very much care for people who talk about "settling for DO" because that says to me that they don't understand the privilege of being a physician, or care to understand those outside of their type. People like this won't do well in the Georgetown SMP community. I hope that's just a product of your writing style but even if so, you need to think more critically before writing out things that degrade absolutely fine and respectable professionals. But, onto the next question.

The fact that you can actually make a judgement on my attitude based on one post in an online forum is slightly absurd. I was asking an honest question. I'm not sure how you can make the jump of not wanting to do a DO to not doing well in the Georgetown SMP community. I apologize that you found my questions derogatory.

It's not impossible to go MD/PhD but it is difficult. I don't think you'd be able to get much farther in the MD process without an SMP since publications wouldn't really add to the application. They would be helpful if you did go MD/PhD. If you think you can get one or two 2 primary authorship publications, maybe the first option would be good for you.

Have you considered doing PhD first? You might have an easier time getting into PhD programs, and it guarantees the research you enjoy; plus, if you still want to do MD, you'll likely be in a better position when applying since GPA doesn't mean as much and PhD = more respect.

Hope that at least begins to help.

I really want to do translational oncology research. I want to work in a clinic and one day have my own laboratory. In order to do that, I need at least an MD. I think that you're right that I could do the Ph.D first and then do the MD and achieve my end goal but I don't think that it's the most efficient way forward.

Yikes. I didn't intend to degrade a whole group of people because I said I didn't want to settle for a DO. As far as I know, the DO schools do have easier application standards than MD schools do when you look at them on a global level. I'm sure you can find DO schools that have higher application statistics than some MD schools but I think I can fairly confidently still maintain the first statement.

Furthermore, the DO stigma still does apply for research. I don't know if it's a product of DO schools not able to help their students manage the clinical-empirical axis or just a stupid perception from medical hierarchy. It's unfortunate but real. Some schools have started DO-PhD programs but again speaking globally, the DO funding rates for RO1 grants is lower than Ph.D, MD-Ph.Ds, and MDs.

I don't think this is a necessary place to discuss the known pitfalls of going to a Caribbean school (Note: not trying to demean everyone that goes to these schools).

The fact that you can actually make a judgement on my attitude based on one post in an online forum is slightly absurd. I was asking an honest question. I'm not sure how you can make the jump of not wanting to do a DO to not doing well in the Georgetown SMP community. I apologize that you found my questions derogatory.

I really want to do translational oncology research. I want to work in a clinic and one day have my own laboratory. In order to do that, I need at least an MD. I think that you're right that I could do the Ph.D first and then do the MD and achieve my end goal but I don't think that it's the most efficient way forward.

Yeah, I'm really sorry for getting worked up. Shower helped :DI just felt like there were components to the first section that didn't really serve as part of asking a question so much as just putting others down. I know you didn't mean it like that, but I guess it's a good warning to be careful with phrasing. Of course, I did make some assumptions myself (immediately regretted, but what's there is there so I'm leaving it) so I'm guilty too :) And the preference for MD over DO makes a lot of sense research-wise, it just seemed more like an MD vs DO over MD/PhD vs DO/PhD from the ordering so I reacted more.

I see that the list is published and it's impressive. However, the worry there is the known fact that SMP matriculation into medical school is not independent of previous performances. Therefore, a list of schools SMP students got into doesn't really answer the question of whether I can realistically get into those schools. For example, if all the students who got into those medical schools had a 3.5+ uGPA before entering the SMP, then it doesn't help me answer the question of whether I personally will benefit from doing the SMP.

Ahh, I see. I didn't get that from the initial post, but it's a good question to ask. I think it's difficult for us to answer just because we don't see the data, less that we don't want to. I can tell you that there are students who have gotten into (and are currently getting into) med schools with <3.0 GPA's in the program - it's not recommended, but it happens haha. I just wish I could give you more solid numbers. I guess a lot of variables come into play with that, though, as schools may be lenient if you're e.g.-older and have been out of school for a long time, or have a disadvantaged background.

Yeah, I'm really sorry for getting worked up. Shower helped :DI just felt like there were components to the first section that didn't really serve as part of asking a question so much as just putting others down. I know you didn't mean it like that, but I guess it's a good warning to be careful with phrasing. Of course, I did make some assumptions myself (immediately regretted, but what's there is there so I'm leaving it) so I'm guilty too :) And the preference for MD over DO makes a lot of sense research-wise, it just seemed more like an MD vs DO over MD/PhD vs DO/PhD from the ordering so I reacted more.

Ahh, I see. I didn't get that from the initial post, but it's a good question to ask. I think it's difficult for us to answer just because we don't see the data, less that we don't want to. I can tell you that there are students who have gotten into (and are currently getting into) med schools with <3.0 GPA's in the program - it's not recommended, but it happens haha. I just wish I could give you more solid numbers. I guess a lot of variables come into play with that, though, as schools may be lenient if you're e.g.-older and have been out of school for a long time, or have a disadvantaged background.

Okay, well even though our first interaction wasn't a positive one, I see no reason we can't both get over it and continue to be productive for everybody. I plan on contacting the MD-PhD program directors for UT-Houston and Georgetown tomorrow as well as some other doctors whom I work with to get their opinions and let you know of what I learn. I know that I probably represent a small subset of people in the program so this information might not be important to everyone but maybe there are others out there who want to follow this path.

I'd like to clarify my current thoughts about Georgetown SMP. I feel like it's a door (albeit one covered in spikes and flames) back onto a path that I had totally thought for almost 2 years that I irreversibly departed. It seems so far to be the best program of it's type. In less than 24 hours of really doing the research on the program, I already feel the program is better than Drexel's. I literally left work early today because the elation and subsequent panic attack that typically accompanies things of this magnitude. I'm a very weird combination of nervous, scared, excited, and happy and it's coming out as emotional soup.

I still have to judge the "should I stay at work for one more year?" question. However, I would be very afraid that if I don't accept my admission now, I won't get it next time around.

Hi, I'll add my 2 cents to this discussion, if you don't mind!

Frankly, I've felt like none of the SMPs are truly straightforward when you ask this question.

We absolutely do get into MD programs straight out of the SMP. Ivy League programs? Very rarely, if ever. State schools and mid/low-tier schools? Certainly. I imagine that we seem less-than-straightforward because there's so much uncertainty in outcome when enrolling in programs like the SMP. Our undergraduate grades prevent us from being otherwise strong applicants, and doing well in an SMP is not a guarantee of admission at Georgetown, or anywhere else. Many medical schools will simply not overlook a poor undergraduate GPA even if you do very well in the SMP, so you will need to pick your schools wisely. You only need one school to say yes, and this is the reality for many students in any SMP. The Dean of Admissions at Cooper is correct to put that sense of doubt in your head. It's a hard pill to swallow, but it's the only way that a lot of us low-GPA students will get into medical school.

This scenario is possible but unlikely if your undergrad grades are the only flaw in your application. If you have other red flags such as poorly written essays or mediocre clinical experience, this will still hurt you enough to get you rejected. Again, there are no guarantees with this SMP, but with a 3.5+ you are very likely to receive an acceptance and at least receive a Georgetown interview if (and only if) they feel that you'd be a good fit for the school.

As for your stats, I do think you're perfect for the SMP. While a first author publication would be a great addition to your application, your GPA would unfortunately get you screened out at most schools before they even see your impressive research work. Once you get your GPA up, then the extracurriculars really come into play. It sounds like you'd be a good match interest-wise for an MD/Ph.D. program but you have to get your stats up to be competitive. I have heard that some schools let you apply MD only and allow you to add the Ph.D. on after your first year. This might be something to pursue. I'm not applying that route, so I am not too familiar with these.

Also, I'm not going to comment on the MD/DO bit. The residencies are combining soon, and hopefully that puts some of the stigma to rest.

Hi, I'll add my 2 cents to this discussion, if you don't mind!

We absolutely do get into MD programs straight out of the SMP. Ivy League programs? Very rarely, if ever. State schools and mid/low-tier schools? Certainly. I imagine that we seem less-than-straightforward because there's so much uncertainty in outcome when enrolling in programs like the SMP. Our undergraduate grades prevent us from being otherwise strong applicants, and doing well in an SMP is not a guarantee of admission at Georgetown, or anywhere else. Many medical schools will simply not overlook a poor undergraduate GPA even if you do very well in the SMP, so you will need to pick your schools wisely. You only need one school to say yes, and this is the reality for many students in any SMP. The Dean of Admissions at Cooper is correct to put that sense of doubt in your head. It's a hard pill to swallow, but it's the only way that a lot of us low-GPA students will get into medical school.

This scenario is possible but unlikely if your undergrad grades are the only flaw in your application. If you have other red flags such as poorly written essays or mediocre clinical experience, this will still hurt you enough to get you rejected. Again, there are no guarantees with this SMP, but with a 3.5+ you are very likely to receive an acceptance and at least receive a Georgetown interview if (and only if) they feel that you'd be a good fit for the school.

As for your stats, I do think you're perfect for the SMP. While a first author publication would be a great addition to your application, your GPA would unfortunately get you screened out at most schools before they even see your impressive research work. Once you get your GPA up, then the extracurriculars really come into play. It sounds like you'd be a good match interest-wise for an MD/Ph.D. program but you have to get your stats up to be competitive. I have heard that some schools let you apply MD only and allow you to add the Ph.D. on after your first year. This might be something to pursue. I'm not applying that route, so I am not too familiar with these.

Also, I'm not going to comment on the MD/DO bit. The residencies are combining soon, and hopefully that puts some of the stigma to rest.

You rock :D

Okay, well even though our first interaction wasn't a positive one, I see no reason we can't both get over it and continue to be productive for everybody. I plan on contacting the MD-PhD program directors for UT-Houston and Georgetown tomorrow as well as some other doctors whom I work with to get their opinions and let you know of what I learn. I know that I probably represent a small subset of people in the program so this information might not be important to everyone but maybe there are others out there who want to follow this path.

I'd like to clarify my current thoughts about Georgetown SMP. I feel like it's a door (albeit one covered in spikes and flames) back onto a path that I had totally thought for almost 2 years that I irreversibly departed. It seems so far to be the best program of it's type. In less than 24 hours of really doing the research on the program, I already feel the program is better than Drexel's. I literally left work early today because the elation and subsequent panic attack that typically accompanies things of this magnitude. I'm a very weird combination of nervous, scared, excited, and happy and it's coming out as emotional soup.

I still have to judge the "should I stay at work for one more year?" question. However, I would be very afraid that if I don't accept my admission now, I won't get it next time around.

You definitely have a good plan set out! Ask questions, make sure it's the right path for you, because it's your life that's going to happen from here on out.

The reaction you describe is exactly what I love about the SMP - it takes many whose chances ranged from 30% to, I dunno, 1%, and brings them to the 50% (i.e.-average med applicant chance) in the span of one year, and 80% within a few after that. In an applicant field where people constantly think "I can't" because of one point on an app being off, I think that's amazing. Clearly the program believes you could be one of those people who soon is in line to get the white coat - even if you decide to go elsewhere, I'm really excited for you to be able to have that!! :D Let us know how your conversations go!

It really does feel that way, spikes and emotional soup and all! I found the SMP after working for a few years, and I have to say that it's quite refreshing to be back in school, even if it's not quite where I want to end up yet. The emotional soup will continue until you get that final good news. Hang on, because you're in for a crazy ride!

If it were me debating whether to stay at work, I would be nervous that I wouldn't be accepted back into the SMP next year. I'm not sure of the applicant-to-seat ratio, but I think we get over a thousand applications for about 180 seats in the program.

If you're curious about our year, we've even had recent California interviews (no, not Loma Linda - UC schools)
Hi I have a question regarding this part of your post. What do you mean when you say not Loma Linda? I'm a CA resident and so Loma Linda is on my list of schools but I also haven't seen that many UCs on the Alumni page (only UCI and UCSD). Is there a reason for this? I guess my question is how successful is this program at getting students into Cali schools?

Complete 3/12
Accepted 3/23

Still on three waitlists, but I'm thrilled to have this as an option!

Hi I have a question regarding this part of your post. What do you mean when you say not Loma Linda? I'm a CA resident and so Loma Linda is on my list of schools but I also haven't seen that many UCs on the Alumni page (only UCI and UCSD). Is there a reason for this? I guess my question is how successful is this program at getting students into Cali schools?

not just* is more what I would mean, but I'm not sure if anyone has interviewed there from our year. I say that because people tend to not count Loma Linda as being as infamously difficult as the other California schools; so if we were to just say that we get people into California schools but only meant LL, it wouldn't really mean as much.

I can't say we're fantastic at getting people into the other UC schools consistently, but then again I don't think any other program could say that either. To my understanding, the UC schools tend to take only the very, very top applicants statwise, hence CA's title as the "biggest exporter of pre-meds." :p

Loma Linda is reputed to be "low tier" whatever that means. the poster's point is that the SMP has gotten people into California schools, not just the low tier one(s).

also, lol at your username/pic!!

not just* is more what I would mean, but I'm not sure if anyone has interviewed there from our year. I say that because people tend to not count Loma Linda as being as infamously difficult as the other California schools; so if we were to just say that we get people into California schools but only meant LL, it wouldn't really mean as much.

I can't say we're fantastic at getting people into the other UC schools consistently, but then again I don't think any other program could say that either. To my understanding, the UC schools tend to take only the very, very top applicants statwise, hence CA's title as the "biggest exporter of pre-meds." :p

Loma Linda is reputed to be "low tier" whatever that means. the poster's point is that the SMP has gotten people into California schools, not just the low tier one(s).
Thank you both for the clarification!! Makes sense.
@benjaminl1nus it was either gonna be tcw or mole butt ;)

Does anyone have an idea of "chances" for waitlisted students? I was likely waitlisted because I do not have an MCAT score yet (May 22), but I was hoping that a waitlist isn't just their way of not denying peopl right of the bat. Any insight?

I applied with a GRE score, was waitlisted, and was pulled off the waitlist in July. Just keep emailing and updating them with what you're doing. Send a letter of intent. Make it clear that you belong there.

I applied with a GRE score, was waitlisted, and was pulled off the waitlist in July. Just keep emailing and updating them with what you're doing. Send a letter of intent. Make it clear that you belong there.
That's excellent advice, thanks for that.

Did you end up going there, and have you been accepted to medical school?

First off, congrats to everyone who was accepted! And for those on the waitlist, I heard that moves A LOT so keep your hopes up!

I had a question for former/current SMPers. My ancient computer is nearing its death day, so I was thinking of getting a new one.
What computer would you recommend for this program? I'm used to taking all my notes on the laptop but is that what a lot of students do or do they handwrite their notes?
And is quality of display important? Do we look at a lot of anatomy pictures on the computer that require a lot clarity?
And I've heard that Macs aren't recommended in med school classes, is that true?

Also, would an ipad be really uncomfortable to use for this program? I sometimes use my ipad instead of my laptop because of convenience. I'm just worried we may have to download some programs that are not compatible with the ipad.

And one last thing, where I went to school they sold Microsoft office for like $10 at the bookstore (some kind of agreement with microsoft). Do they have that program at Georgetown too?

Sorry these were a lot of questions! I would appreciate any input.

Thanks

Hey again everyone,

I know before when I asked about financial aid, some of you current SMP'ers responded saying you took out loans. Was that through FAFSA? My understanding was FAFSA has a March 2nd deadline, which I missed the boat on. Am I wrong? Are there other avenues I'm missing?

Thanks!

@babyface10111 , either a Mac or Windows PC is fine. I'd say the class is a 50/50 split, so choose the brand that you prefer. I take notes on my laptop directly into our powerpoint slides, and several of my friends take notes on Surface Pro tablets or iPads. There are a few people who hand-write notes, but most do it on computer. Exams are electronic, and you cannot use an iPad for those. @whitecupcake @FriendOfTheCupcake, can you take your exams on the Surface Pros?

We do look at cadaver anatomy and radiology images and diagrams in class and on exams, but if you have a decent laptop it won't be an issue at all. Don't splurge on the super high resolution screen if you weren't already planning on doing so.

The only program you'll need to download all year is a secured web browser, GEMS browser, for exams. Again, you need a laptop for this, so you won't have to worry about iPad compatibility. One thing I will mention is that one of our Anatomy profs wrote a few anatomy iBooks that you can download, but it's for Mac/iPad only. I wouldn't make the switch from PC to Mac just for this, as you can borrow an iPad from the library or look off a Mac friend's computer. As for the $10 Microsoft Office, I'm not sure. I can't confirm that we have this, so I will defer to someone else on that.

@nosarcasm, I'm not sure what happens if you miss the FAFSA deadline. Perhaps call the Georgetown Financial Aid office, and I'm sure they can give you more information. My understanding is that the FAFSA is required in order to take out federal loans. Generally, try to take out federal loans first, as they have the most lenient repayment and forgiveness options. You will be able to borrow the full cost of attendance with federal loans, but private loans are also an option and they don't require a FAFSA. Be aware though that private loans are stricter with repayment, and they cannot be forgiven.

@whitecupcake uses the Pro 2 for exams! I haven't brought in my Pro 3 to an exam yet, but I know there are at least a few others that use it and they've been fine too. :) @cardio7 is completely correct about all of this, btw!

Oh so you take tests in the lecture hall online using a computer?

So you would need a computer/tablet, etc sufficient battery life?

Oh so you take tests in the lecture hall online using a computer?

So you would need a computer/tablet, etc sufficient battery life?

You get to bring in your computer/tablet and power cord. Thank goodness! :D

Well, after having talks with medical admissions directors all over Texas this week, I think it's becoming more and more clear that the Georgetown SMP is probably my best move forward. I wouldn't say I'm confirmed decision yet but definitely a heavy lean. I got to talk to a girl who took the program and was accepted into Ohio State University but ended up going to Temple. I think that generally speaks for the national draw of the program.

I will admit that I remain skeptical of whether or not the post-bacc can help bridge the gap from where I'm at to where I need to be. The choice to attend this program is not an easy one - mostly because of the astronomical price. However, it looks like if there is any opportunity anywhere this is either the best one or top 3.

I still wait to hear back from Temple ACMS but I'm not even totally sure I'd go there even with the guaranteed admission.

Well, after having talks with medical admissions directors all over Texas this week, I think it's becoming more and more clear that the Georgetown SMP is probably my best move forward. I wouldn't say I'm confirmed decision yet but definitely a heavy lean. I got to talk to a girl who took the program and was accepted into Ohio State University but ended up going to Temple. I think that generally speaks for the national draw of the program.

I will admit that I remain skeptical of whether or not the post-bacc can help bridge the gap from where I'm at to where I need to be. The choice to attend this program is not an easy one - mostly because of the astronomical price. However, it looks like if there is any opportunity anywhere this is either the best one or top 3.

I still wait to hear back from Temple ACMS but I'm not even totally sure I'd go there even with the guaranteed admission.

Good luck with your decision!! I withdrew from Temple pre-interview (and post-interview...they sent me one after I withdrew? It was weird.) because I wanted the flexibility to place elsewhere for medical school if I wanted to try doing so. I definitely feel like I made the best decision for me, but it is harder on the stress and finances. You'll find what works best for you, I'm sure :)

Ah, I'm really debating whether to chose Georgetown over EVMS right now I'm completely torn. Personally, I would like to go to Georgetown because I actually enjoy being challenged and also because the program has a great reputation and I think I would have a better chance of getting into med school in my state. But I just realized that the cost of attendance jumped up to almost 80k which is ridiculous! EVMS is around 15k cheaper but its also not as well known and most students end up attending EVMS after. My parents have been doing some research on their own and are trying to convince me to choose EVMS because its #42 on the US New list of top med schools for primary care vs. Georgetown being at #84. So much to think about and such little time to decide. For those current students that might have applied to both programs or know info on both, I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice or reasons as to why Georgetown would be better than EVMS so that I can convince not only myself but also my parents! haha

Ah, I'm really debating whether to chose Georgetown over EVMS right now I'm completely torn. Personally, I would like to go to Georgetown because I actually enjoy being challenged and also because the program has a great reputation and I think I would have a better chance of getting into med school in my state. But I just realized that the cost of attendance jumped up to almost 80k which is ridiculous! EVMS is around 15k cheaper but its also not as well known and most students end up attending EVMS after. My parents have been doing some research on their own and are trying to convince me to choose EVMS because its #42 on the US New list of top med schools for primary care vs. Georgetown being at #84. So much to think about and such little time to decide. For those current students that might have applied to both programs or know info on both, I would appreciate it if you could give me some advice or reasons as to why Georgetown would be better than EVMS so that I can convince not only myself but also my parents! haha

GEORGETOWN ALL THE WAYYYYYYYYYYYY. Haha. :)

You're right that GU SMP gives you a better shot at getting back home - how much would your state school be? 15k cheaper for one year is good, but if your state's schools are even cheaper over 4 years, you may actually save more money.

And to be honest, US News Rankings really don't mean anything, especially in those ranges. GUSOM students have fabulous placements nationwide, and Georgetown definitely has more of the impressiveness factor to the general person you talk to (which really shouldn't matter to much but, hey, everyone considers it). If you don't really want to go to GUSOM or EVMS for med school anyway, because you want to go a school in-state, then these numbers especially shouldn't mean anything. Worst case scenario, if you want to go to EVMS after the SMP...EVMS likes to take our SMP's - it's based on our program, after all ;)

Do "feeder" programs like Drexel IMS, NYMC AMP and EVMS med masters not do much to increase chances at schools other than their host schools?

You're right that GU SMP gives you a better shot at getting back home - how much would your state school be? 15k cheaper for one year is good, but if your state's schools are even cheaper over 4 years, you may actually save more money.
I am leaning towards Georgetown over other programs despite the HEFTY price tag for this reason only..the chance to come back home and pay IS tuition.

Do "feeder" programs like Drexel IMS, NYMC AMP and EVMS med masters not do much to increase chances at schools other than their host schools?

I am leaning towards Georgetown over other programs despite the HEFTY price tag for this reason only..the chance to come back home and pay IS tuition.
From the data I've looked at and the posts I've read on these forums (and I've read QUITE A LOT), the above SMPs mentioned do increase your chances of getting in elsewhere, but Georgetown's SMP is better at opening up doors, simply by the fact that it has been around for 40 years and is nationally known. The other programs have great reputations as well, but much less so.

If I choose Georgetown, I will do so for the same reasons you are.

Okay, thanks @FriendOfTheCupcake! I'm pretty convinced about Georgetown, now I just have to do some convincing at home... o_O At least my friends are 100% with me in choosing Georgetown :D

I don't know who I am responding to but...

I use my Surface Pro 2 for lecture notes, using the OneNote to write on the ppt slides instead of writing below them like my MAC user friends, and I most certainly use it for the exams and it works great... I haven't had any issues... another option is the Yoga series computer which allows you to write on them/ touch screen and take the exam... I like the Surface because you have everything at "the touch of your fingers" quite literally but doesn't mean you need one!

Like mentioned before, the class is evenly distributed, I personally could not take notes below the slides because we have lots of pictures and to me it makes sense to circle and draw stuff but it is a preference.
I don't know if they offer the Office for cheaper but you could probably find that out on the GT technology website, I got it from my previous school too....

Another note, you will need/want the iPad mini for medical school anyway so I ended up buying one when I got here... they were having a 25% sale...

Not mentioned but we have the MNTS (medical note taking service) for our classes, and I only trust them for MED classes, that really help if you need exposure to the material before and after class...

So yeah... so much happened since I was here last :rolleyes: let me know how else I can help!

Reactions: 3 users
I just heard some good news! I bet she'll never say it on SDN, so I will just do it for her...

Congrats to @FriendOfTheCupcake on getting into her top choice medical school!! Hard work clearly does pay off! :woot:

Future SMPs, this may very well be you next year!

Reactions: 8 users
From the data I've looked at and the posts I've read on these forums (and I've read QUITE A LOT), the above SMPs mentioned do increase your chances of getting in elsewhere, but Georgetown's SMP is better at opening up doors, simply by the fact that it has been around for 40 years and is nationally known. The other programs have great reputations as well, but much less so.

If I choose Georgetown, I will do so for the same reasons you are.
Are you still waiting to hear back from schools or just doing some final soul searching? I just got the official acceptance this morning and it looks like I have to make a decision before April 15.

@FriendOfTheCupcake That is AWESOME!!! Veryyy happy for you! Looks like all your hard work payed off!

A point of consideration for those deciding between SMP programs. Please take this as one man's opinion.

Your goal should be to get into medical school and become a physician. Don't ever let this slip as your top priority. Choosing between medical schools is a luxury and not one that is often afforded to prospective, current, or former SMP students (regardless of program). Your guiding factor in the decision making process should ONLY be which SMP will best position you to get into ONE medical school. If that's your state school back home, great. If that's the medical school where you an enrolled as a SMP student, great. Make a personal evaluation of your application, do the research, ask the right people the right questions, and act accordingly.

Reactions: 4 users
A point of consideration for those deciding between SMP programs. Please take this as one man's opinion.

Your goal should be to get into medical school and become a physician. Don't ever let this slip as your top priority. Choosing between medical schools is a luxury and not one that is often afforded to prospective, current, or former SMP students (regardless of program). Your guiding factor in the decision making process should ONLY be which SMP will best position you to get into ONE medical school. If that's your state school back home, great. If that's the medical school where you an enrolled as a SMP student, great. Make a personal evaluation of your application, do the research, ask the right people the right questions, and act accordingly.

These are all really important points that cannot be overstated!! A lot of prospective SMP students get caught up about the prestige of their SMP's name, but it's important to be realistic about your chances. The people in this SMP who tend to receive multiple interviews and acceptances have good GPAs while in the program in combination with a high MCAT (like 34+) AND strong extracurriculars. Especially if you're aiming to attend a medical school other than Georgetown that has its own SMP, pick that other SMP and don't rely on Georgetown to open that door for you.

So you're saying that if I'm aiming at going to EVMS, I should go to the EVMS SMP right? But if not, go to Georgetown? I'm trying to be pretty realistic with a 3.48 cGPA, 30 MCAT and great extracurriculars. Is it realistic to assume that if I do very well at Georgetown, I could be one of those people that receive at least 2 acceptances?