Georgetown SMP Application Thread for 2016-2017 Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm going to be applying here once my fall grades are in, but I can't take the MCAT until May. I don't really want to wait that long to be considered, so I was thinking of taking the GRE in the meantime, does anyone have any idea what kind of score on the GRE would be competitive for this program? My cGPA is around 3.1 and sGPA around 2.8, huge GPA recovery and upward trend (3.9+ over the last 4 years).

Edit: Nevermind, got an answer

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Nothing yet. I was scrolling through the admissions page and on there it says we could hear back anywhere between 4-6 weeks.

I still haven't gotten that e-mail that you received about being under review, and my application has been complete for 4 weeks now. Gotta keep waiting I guess haha!

@Sharks101 my application has been complete since the first few days of November and my status page just says your application was completed on "date and time" along with the list of all my received materials. I also have not received any "under review" email. However, it has only been about 4 weeks, one of which was thanksgiving week so I'm expecting that status to change somewhere around mid to late December.

Members don't see this ad :)
@Sharks101 That's a little weird, but yeah I guess you can either keep waiting or go ahead and email them to confirm they don't need anything from you.

I think I will wait another 1-2 weeks before e-mailing them. It's only been a month (including Thanksgiving), so I don't want to bother them haha

@Sharks101 my application has been complete since the first few days of November and my status page just says your application was completed on "date and time" along with the list of all my received materials. I also have not received any "under review" email. However, it has only been about 4 weeks, one of which was thanksgiving week so I'm expecting that status to change somewhere around mid to late December.

That makes sense. If I don't hear something by mid-December, then I will e-mail them. Thanks, and good luck!

Hey guys, I wanted to hear from people who already got accepted into the program/current students about my stats and if I have a good shot at getting in. Also, I was wondering how long it takes to get the "reviewing" e-mail, since my application has been complete for about 3.5 weeks. My cGPA is 3.2, I have an MCAT score of 508, and my extra curricular research etc. are very good. Any thoughts guys?

Just received an e-mail stating that I have been accepted, pending verification of my credentials by the graduate school or something along those lines. Received the under review e-mail on 10/29.

Just received an e-mail stating that I have been accepted, pending verification of my credentials by the graduate school or something along those lines. Received the under review e-mail on 10/29.

Congrats =D. How long from when your application was complete did you get your status to under review?

Yay! Congrats @MrSalabertian and @LFOGOOTW!!! Hopefully I'm still in the running here. Haven't received any notice yet.

Congrats you two! I'm also still in the running with having my app complete since 11/2, hoping to get an update soon!

Does it matter what school you went to? I went to a small private university and I have similar GPA stats to the person above who got accepted. My MCAT was a 519 though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it matter what school you went to? I went to a small private university and I have similar GPA stats to the person above who got accepted. My MCAT was a 519 though.
I don't believe it does. Our current class represents many schools from big public schools to small private schools. I'm from a relatively small private university.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. The reason I was asking was because I saw that some of the SMP's that listed the schools that their students attended (such as Ucinn) came from top 50s.

Just got my "Under Review" email this morning. My file was marked complete on 11.30. It said that the decision turnaround time is 4-5 weeks, but I don't know if that will change with the winter holiday and all...

My stats: cGPA 3.35/sGPA 3.07/MCAT 38

Good luck everyone!

@wadels Also got my "Under Review" email this morning with the same message. I am wondering the same thing haha. Best of luck to everyone!

@wadels Also got my "Under Review" email this morning with the same message. I am wondering the same thing haha. Best of luck to everyone!

+2 late January is probably more reasonable with the holidays coming up. Also, was that an automatic e-mail or are we expected to reply?

Reactions: 1 users
+2 late January is probably more reasonable with the holidays coming up. Also, was that an automatic e-mail or are we expected to reply?
It may or may not have been automatic but I do not think a response is necessary, I think it's just more of an update

Do you guys think it's too late to apply? Still haven't heard form any Medical Schools, taking a gap year currently with a 3.5 GPA and a 30 on my MCAT ( old one, plan to retake).

Wanna keep my options open and I've heard good things from GU's SMP

Do you guys think it's too late to apply? Still haven't heard form any Medical Schools, taking a gap year currently with a 3.5 GPA and a 30 on my MCAT ( old one, plan to retake).

Wanna keep my options open and I've heard good things from GU's SMP

Apply!

Man, I feel like I'm gonna be so late to send in my app. I literally have everything done except my last LOR (which I believe is my strongest) since my professor/PI decided to go on vacation for like 2 months and won't be back until late January.

@DannySCR I'm basically in the same position. I've only heard back from 10 of the schools I applied to, and am in limbo everywhere else, so I'm applying to a couple of post-bacc's just in case. :(

Since I'm taking a lot of the first year courses at Georgetown, would I be going into med school as a second year student?

I'm debating whether or not I should apply to the Georgetown SMP program, I already have multiple acceptances from DO schools (including my top DO so I'm done interviewing at DOs) and waitlisted at my top MD school (it's a miracle they even offered me an interview, but now that I've tasted what could be, I'm considering shooting for the stars). I'm very research oriented and I have yet to encounter a single DO in the field of research I'm interested in, which is why I'm having second thoughts about DO. I took the MCAT in September 2014 though, so I don't have much time and I'd rather not have to retake it.

Does anyone have any stats of the students who have done this program and the med schools they got accepted into afterwards? During college, I never dreamed of getting accepted into med school (DO or MD), let alone turning down acceptances. The internal conflict is real right now.

If I recall correctly, no, you do not enter as a second year. I think the SMP covered the same classes, but it misses some of the clinical work. IMO you're better off starting at the first year anyway. Skipping might lead to insufficient knowledge and less connection with your classmates. But if you want to risk it, you might as well try.

To everyone who applied: in your personal statement, did you specifically mention why your academic record isn't stellar/try to account for your subpar application?

To everyone who applied: in your personal statement, did you specifically mention why your academic record isn't stellar/try to account for your subpar application?

I did when I applied last year, and I would probably recommend doing so. Don't try to justify bad grades, but I think it would be a good to address the issue and talk about what changed and what you learned from those mistakes.

Would you recommend applying without an MCAT score? I'll be taking the test in the spring but I want to get my app in anyways. sGPA 3.45 with strong upward trend.

Also, for option B it states that you can include a typed document with:
  • Contact Information: Please state your current postal address, telephone number, and E-mail address.
  • Undergraduate GPA: Please calculate your cumulative GPA for science courses (biology, chemistry, physics, and math) and your cumulative GPA for all courses taken as an undergraduate. Please list both calculated GPA's.
  • Post-Secondary Honors/Awards: Please write a brief summary of your post secondary honors and awards. List in chronological order.
  • Extra-Curricular & Avocational Activities: Please summarize your extra-curricular and avocational activities, particularly those relevant to a graduate career, listed in chronological order. Include clubs you have belonged to, sports and intramural teams, etc.
  • Post-Secondary Volunteer, Part-Time & Full Time Employment: Please write a brief summary of your post-secondary employment history, both paid and volunteer, listed in chronological order.
  • Parents' Education/Occupation: Please provide your parents' names, occupations, and their highest level of education.
  • Institutional Actions on Academic Record/Misdemeanors/Felonies: Please state "None", or list any actions and explain. Regarding misdemeanors, moving traffic violations (speeding, accidents) are considered misdemeanors in many states. If you have a ticket(s), please check whether it is listed as a misdemeanor in the jurisdiction where you received the ticket. Also, if you have a pending court case, please mark that down on the SMP application, so we can advise you. (Note: if you have a court case during the year, and you are found guilty of a misdemeanor, you have to inform all the medical schools you applied to within 10 days of the judgement. Failure to do so can result in rescinding of acceptance.) If you have additional questions about IAs, etc, please contact an advisor at AMCAS.
  • Personal Statement: Please write a brief 500 word essay (one page maximum), describing yourself, your educational goals and interests and your motivation for a medical career. Please upload this statement in the appropriate section of on-line application. This is the only personal statement required. You do not need to complete a second one as part of the online application.

I don't see a supplemental data section, should I just upload this to where it says 'AMCAS forms"?

Last edited:
bump. I also don't see a supplemental data section, I'm not sure where to put the above info on the application.

Accepted this morning. Probably will be attending. Complete 12/15.

Accepted today! I'm leaning towards attending as well.

Still waiting :(

I did send in my App less than a week ago :/

Would you recommend applying without an MCAT score? I'll be taking the test in the spring but I want to get my app in anyways. sGPA 3.45 with strong upward trend.

Also, for option B it states that you can include a typed document with:
  • Contact Information: Please state your current postal address, telephone number, and E-mail address.
  • Undergraduate GPA: Please calculate your cumulative GPA for science courses (biology, chemistry, physics, and math) and your cumulative GPA for all courses taken as an undergraduate. Please list both calculated GPA's.
  • Post-Secondary Honors/Awards: Please write a brief summary of your post secondary honors and awards. List in chronological order.
  • Extra-Curricular & Avocational Activities: Please summarize your extra-curricular and avocational activities, particularly those relevant to a graduate career, listed in chronological order. Include clubs you have belonged to, sports and intramural teams, etc.
  • Post-Secondary Volunteer, Part-Time & Full Time Employment: Please write a brief summary of your post-secondary employment history, both paid and volunteer, listed in chronological order.
  • Parents' Education/Occupation: Please provide your parents' names, occupations, and their highest level of education.
  • Institutional Actions on Academic Record/Misdemeanors/Felonies: Please state "None", or list any actions and explain. Regarding misdemeanors, moving traffic violations (speeding, accidents) are considered misdemeanors in many states. If you have a ticket(s), please check whether it is listed as a misdemeanor in the jurisdiction where you received the ticket. Also, if you have a pending court case, please mark that down on the SMP application, so we can advise you. (Note: if you have a court case during the year, and you are found guilty of a misdemeanor, you have to inform all the medical schools you applied to within 10 days of the judgement. Failure to do so can result in rescinding of acceptance.) If you have additional questions about IAs, etc, please contact an advisor at AMCAS.
  • Personal Statement: Please write a brief 500 word essay (one page maximum), describing yourself, your educational goals and interests and your motivation for a medical career. Please upload this statement in the appropriate section of on-line application. This is the only personal statement required. You do not need to complete a second one as part of the online application.

I don't see a supplemental data section, should I just upload this to where it says 'AMCAS forms"?
Did you figure out where to upload it, or does anyone else know? I emailed them asking if we put it under "AMCAS Report" and they told me there should be another spot for it but I do not see where it goes.

Did you figure out where to upload it, or does anyone else know? I emailed them asking if we put it under "AMCAS Report" and they told me there should be another spot for it but I do not see where it goes.

Nope, I'm still freaking out about not getting my third LOR in (which my professor says he won't be able to get in for another three weeks or so :/). Oh well, I guess that's what I get for not taking care of this earlier.

Nope, I'm still freaking out about not getting my third LOR in (which my professor says he won't be able to get in for another three weeks or so :/). Oh well, I guess that's what I get for not taking care of this earlier.
I'm waiting on my third LOR as well because my original writer decided to stop replying to anything.

The only other place I can think of to submit this thing is under the academic statement of purpose. I guess as long as they get the information it will probably be okay?

Is anyone planning on putting their application on hold for MCAT scores? I was planning on doing that, but I'm paranoid that the other parts of my application suck so bad that I won't make it in even if I did well on it.

To those who were accepted: what were your publications and honors/awards like?

I had 2-3 publications/abstracts that I listed (none were first author) and I literally did not list a single award (a subpar GPA will do that to ya).

I just submitted my application today and am waiting on my LoRs to be uploaded (should take a week or so). Do you guys think I applied way too late?? 3.43 cGPA/3.17 sGPA/511 MCAT.. do I have any chance of getting in :(:(:(

Last edited:
Accepted today!! :soexcited:

Was under review 12/15

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Current SMP. Since I don't feel like studying for GI right now, I figured I'd give a perspective on my experience and some advice.

I started the SMP this year with a sGPA and cGPA both around 3.0 and a very good MCAT score. They told us over and over at orientation that this would be the hardest academic year of our lives, which to be honest, is completely true. Tests come every 2 -3 weeks, and the studying really never ends. I work pretty hard and up to this point have somewhere in the 3.45 neighborhood, which I think is somewhere just above the average for the program. Everyone in the program is very friendly and supportive, but the workload is no joke. This brings me to point of advice #1 - if you think your MCAT is the reason you cannot get into school, study harder than you ever have and take it again. This program will do nothing to help a low MCAT and you run the risk of seeing a good GPA go down (and wasting 80k). Currently, I have had 2 interviews (none in previous years) and am waiting to hear back on acceptances. While a few people have gotten accepted so far, and some like me have had interviews, MANY students have heard nothing back from schools and have no interviews lined up. Point of advice #2 - if you are about to finish college and want to attend this program because you can't think of anything else to do, get a job for a year or two (research!). I think med schools appreciate maturity, and this program should (IMO) be seen as a last resort. If you think your application is close, you are better off beefing up non-academic credentials and making a salary for a year. Also just be aware there is a real chance you can take this program, do fairly well, and still not get accepted anywhere. I know some programs have matriculation into their medical school, those are probably a better bet for a lot of people. Finally, they told us this year that for many people this is a two year process - The staff here have no magical connections to medical schools, so while some programs may be interested to see you doing a master's program, other programs will not care so much. Plenty of people were rejected early in the cycle before any of our grades went out. All in all the year has been really interesting, I love taking medical courses and starting my medical education. For plenty (hopefully myself included) this program will work and get you into medical school. Happy to answer questions !

Reactions: 2 users
Current SMP. Since I don't feel like studying for GI right now, I figured I'd give a perspective on my experience and some advice.

I started the SMP this year with a sGPA and cGPA both around 3.0 and a very good MCAT score. They told us over and over at orientation that this would be the hardest academic year of our lives, which to be honest, is completely true. Tests come every 2 -3 weeks, and the studying really never ends. I work pretty hard and up to this point have somewhere in the 3.45 neighborhood, which I think is somewhere just above the average for the program. Everyone in the program is very friendly and supportive, but the workload is no joke. This brings me to point of advice #1 - if you think your MCAT is the reason you cannot get into school, study harder than you ever have and take it again. This program will do nothing to help a low MCAT and you run the risk of seeing a good GPA go down (and wasting 80k). Currently, I have had 2 interviews (none in previous years) and am waiting to hear back on acceptances. While a few people have gotten accepted so far, and some like me have had interviews, MANY students have heard nothing back from schools and have no interviews lined up. Point of advice #2 - if you are about to finish college and want to attend this program because you can't think of anything else to do, get a job for a year or two (research!). I think med schools appreciate maturity, and this program should (IMO) be seen as a last resort. If you think your application is close, you are better off beefing up non-academic credentials and making a salary for a year. Also just be aware there is a real chance you can take this program, do fairly well, and still not get accepted anywhere. I know some programs have matriculation into their medical school, those are probably a better bet for a lot of people. Finally, they told us this year that for many people this is a two year process - The staff here have no magical connections to medical schools, so while some programs may be interested to see you doing a master's program, other programs will not care so much. Plenty of people were rejected early in the cycle before any of our grades went out. All in all the year has been really interesting, I love taking medical courses and starting my medical education. For plenty (hopefully myself included) this program will work and get you into medical school. Happy to answer questions !

Thank you so much for the information.
I'm surprised to find out that majority of people did not even get an interview.
I have a couple of questions.

1. What's the grading system?
2. Did most of students apply top tier medical schools?
3. Any tip for courses? like study habit or anything.
4. Do you feel like Georgetown SMP has less connection with Georgetown Medicine compared to other comparable SMPs such as Boston U, Loyola, UC, Tuft?

I'm surprised to find out that majority of people did not even get an interview.

4. Do you feel like Georgetown SMP has less connection with Georgetown Medicine compared to other comparable SMPs such as Boston U, Loyola, UC, Tuft?

I am not sure if it is the majority that have not gotten an interview, but plenty haven't.
1. For med classes we are graded based off of the M1s. Whatever their cutoff for a pass is our cut off for a B. 1 SD up is an A. B+/A- are between the 2. The tests are difficult but averages are high and generally around an 87%. So if you want an A- you probably need a 90% or above. For grad classes the grading is a bit more lenient, although you still need to be well prepared to get anything above a B.
2. People apply all over, some people get into great schools, many I bet will ultimately go DO. I applied to a good mixture and got one interview from a state school and one to a top 10 program.
3. Find what works for you and be prepared to study your ass off. If you want an A, plan on ~60 hour a week class time and study time.
4. Georgetown SMP has a good connection with gtown med. about 25-28 of us will get accepted to gtown med. there is a special round of interviews for our class (they interview roughly 75). There are no guarantees though. They interview roughly the top 2/5 of the class by GPA. I can't speak on the behalf of other programs.

I'm also a current Georgetown SMP student, and I personally know a lot of people who have had multiple interviews and acceptances as well. I've had 4 interviews and 2 acceptances so far, so I think that while II and acceptance might still be in the minority right now, there are people who are hearing good news!

I'm also a current Georgetown SMP student, and I personally know a lot of people who have had multiple interviews and acceptances as well. I've had 4 interviews and 2 acceptances so far, so I think that while II and acceptance might still be in the minority right now, there are people who are hearing good news!

Thank you for the comment!
Can you possibly tell me your mcat score and class standing?
Did you interview at georgetown?

Current SMP here too and I just wanted to share my two cents! (Or ten, sorry this is long!)

I got accepted to an MD program at a school I love back in December, and this cycle has been night-and-day compared to last year (no IIs in 2014 :( )
Overall I think this program works very well for WHAT IT'S DESIGNED TO DO, which is give students an opportunity to prove that they can handle medical-level coursework, with the assumption that this would likely be the biggest reservation that medical schools have about their application.

I know a ton of really amazing people here who came into this program with a solid or even high MCAT, meaningful long-term volunteer commitments, experience working full or part time, quality research experience, significant patient contact experiences, etc and did all of this in addition to an extracurricular activity that meant a lot to us regardless of its "relevance" in medicine (Ie varsity sports, dance, art, music, etc); however, these are also students whose GPAs were getting them thrown out by computers, or discarded before the rest of their applications were even read at most places.

The Georgetown SMP works very well if you feel like you're a student like this because medical schools want to like you, they really do, but they are also investing a lot of time, money and effort training students, and it's fair for them to also want to see proof that you can handle the work in medical school.

Most people I know have had a handful of interviews, and a handful of us have already been accepted (some people at multiple places), but it's still earlyish in the cycle as well. There are unfortunately plenty of people I know who are amazing candidates who haven't interviewed yet, that is true, but as Dr. Mulroney said something to the effect of at orientation:"Getting into medical school is 95% qualifications and 5% magic"

And I know this seems very true and completely frustrating, but the opportunity to interview at Georgetown SOM based on SMP GPA does a lot to take out of the magic factor out of the equation, and seems to give people some sense of control over this process.

And if you're someone who wants to work on their GPA and thinks they should maybe also volunteer more, shadow, do more clinical work, etc, then I'd say to maybe be a little more patient and more prepared for this to turn out to be a two year process if there was a second "hole" in your application besides the GPA. The downtown program here does a lot of those types of activites during the year, and I know people feel very prepared to take the MCAT again after the program if that's where you think the issue is, so be patient!

I DO NOT think this program is any harder than my undergraduate institution was. The multiple choice exams and the exam frequency takes some getting used to, but it's really interesting stuff, and I definitely feel like I've had plenty of time to have a life this year outside of studying. It's a little bit of a fallacy that hours spent studying= grades. You definitely have to put the time in, sure, but that doesn't mean you can't spend a few hours each day working out, hanging out with friends, or exploring the city either.

I know this was really long, but this site in general could use some positivity, so I'll leave you with this:
At the Georgetown SOM reunion weekend in the fall, I was talking to an SMP from the 1980s (who went on to graduate from Georgetown med) and he said "It's always a pleasure meeting and working with SMPs, because you all were people. And taking a little extra time to get to medical school, that sort of tenacity is fantastic. I mean I''ll NEVER send a patient to the kid who spent four years of college locked in the library every single day, but I would send a patient to anyone I met during the SMP year in a heartbeat"

Obviously if you can get in without the program and save yourself $50k, definitely DO THAT instead, but if you don't get in, or think you won't with the credentials you have, this year is a lifesaver.

Free to message me with any additional questions!

Reactions: 4 users
Current SMP here too and I just wanted to share my two cents! (Or ten, sorry this is long!)

I got accepted to an MD program at a school I love back in December, and this cycle has been night-and-day compared to last year (no IIs in 2014 :( )
Overall I think this program works very well for WHAT IT'S DESIGNED TO DO, which is give students an opportunity to prove that they can handle medical-level coursework, with the assumption that this would likely be the biggest reservation that medical schools have about their application.

I know a ton of really amazing people here who came into this program with a solid or even high MCAT, meaningful long-term volunteer commitments, experience working full or part time, quality research experience, significant patient contact experiences, etc and did all of this in addition to an extracurricular activity that meant a lot to us regardless of its "relevance" in medicine (Ie varsity sports, dance, art, music, etc); however, these are also students whose GPAs were getting them thrown out by computers, or discarded before the rest of their applications were even read at most places.

The Georgetown SMP works very well if you feel like you're a student like this because medical schools want to like you, they really do, but they are also investing a lot of time, money and effort training students, and it's fair for them to also want to see proof that you can handle the work in medical school.

Most people I know have had a handful of interviews, and a handful of us have already been accepted (some people at multiple places), but it's still earlyish in the cycle as well. There are unfortunately plenty of people I know who are amazing candidates who haven't interviewed yet, that is true, but as Dr. Mulroney said something to the effect of at orientation:"Getting into medical school is 95% qualifications and 5% magic"

And I know this seems very true and completely frustrating, but the opportunity to interview at Georgetown SOM based on SMP GPA does a lot to take out of the magic factor out of the equation, and seems to give people some sense of control over this process.

And if you're someone who wants to work on their GPA and thinks they should maybe also volunteer more, shadow, do more clinical work, etc, then I'd say to maybe be a little more patient and more prepared for this to turn out to be a two year process if there was a second "hole" in your application besides the GPA. The downtown program here does a lot of those types of activites during the year, and I know people feel very prepared to take the MCAT again after the program if that's where you think the issue is, so be patient!

I DO NOT think this program is any harder than my undergraduate institution was. The multiple choice exams and the exam frequency takes some getting used to, but it's really interesting stuff, and I definitely feel like I've had plenty of time to have a life this year outside of studying. It's a little bit of a fallacy that hours spent studying= grades. You definitely have to put the time in, sure, but that doesn't mean you can't spend a few hours each day working out, hanging out with friends, or exploring the city either.

I know this was really long, but this site in general could use some positivity, so I'll leave you with this:
At the Georgetown SOM reunion weekend in the fall, I was talking to an SMP from the 1980s (who went on to graduate from Georgetown med) and he said "It's always a pleasure meeting and working with SMPs, because you all were people. And taking a little extra time to get to medical school, that sort of tenacity is fantastic. I mean I''ll NEVER send a patient to the kid who spent four years of college locked in the library every single day, but I would send a patient to anyone I met during the SMP year in a heartbeat"

Obviously if you can get in without the program and save yourself $50k, definitely DO THAT instead, but if you don't get in, or think you won't with the credentials you have, this year is a lifesaver.

Free to message me with any additional questions!

that was far more interesting to read than the blood supply of the posterior abdominal wall..

Reactions: 3 users
that was far more interesting to read than the blood supply of the posterior abdominal wall..
I personally could barely tear myself away from the anterior abdominal wall- so much fascia, so little time....

But seriously it's interesting I swear!