Georgetown SMP Application Thread for 2016-2017 Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That is a very nice story of your success. It is not indicative of every applicant.

And if cost is an issue, if someone else isn't paying, then perhaps it'd be wise to look at other programs.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That is a very nice story of your success. It is not indicative of every applicant.

And if cost is an issue, if someone else isn't paying, then perhaps it'd be wise to look at other programs.

There is no one drumming up more conjecture on this thread than you are - particularly your taking to heart one person's abstract assertion that there have been people who graduated from the program with a 3.9 with a 34 MCAT who did not get into medical. As a current SMP with a much deeper understanding of the program, I can assure both of you that even if there are such people, it is more of a reflection of their interviewing skills or other extracurricular shortcomings that are holding them back.

To those reading this thread, such applicants (in addition to 16mai and others) are not a true reflection of the program, but fail in spite of it. Doing above average against Georgetown medical students will get you into school, assuming the rest of your application is competitive. I urge those with legitimate interest in the program to contact the amazing staff here, or those like myself and nosarcasm who are a part of it. SDN is notorious for its plethora of rumors that have no basis in reality, and you will do well to focus your energy on those with firsthand experience, with no motives other than helping those that come after us to truly appreciate the opportunity this program represents, assuming you come ready to work.

Reactions: 1 users
There is no one drumming up more conjecture on this thread than you are - particularly your taking to heart one person's abstract assertion that there have been people who graduated from the program with a 3.9 with a 34 MCAT who did not get into medical. As a current SMP with a much deeper understanding of the program, I can assure both of you that even if there are such people, it is more of a reflection of their interviewing skills or other extracurricular shortcomings that are holding them back.

To those reading this thread, such applicants (in addition to 16mai and others) are not a true reflection of the program, but fail in spite of it. Doing above average against Georgetown medical students will get you into school, assuming the rest of your application is competitive. I urge those with legitimate interest in the program to contact the amazing staff here, or those like myself and nosarcasm who are a part of it. SDN is notorious for its plethora of rumors that have no basis in reality, and you will do well to focus your energy on those with firsthand experience, with no motives other than helping those that come after us to truly appreciate the opportunity this program represents, assuming you come ready to work.

I assure you that I've heard from more than one person, and I have no motives other than the dissemination of truthful, unbiased information. If you'd like to apply to Gtown's SMP, by all means.

Frankly, using SDN as a means of influencing potential students isn't a concern of mine. I can't say the same of everyone in this thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
I assure you that I've heard from more than one person, and I have no motives other than the dissemination of truthful, unbiased information. If you'd like to apply to Gtown's SMP, by all means.

Frankly, using SDN as a means of influencing potential students isn't a concern of mine. I can't say the same of everyone in this thread.

If you seek not to influence, take your opinions elsewhere - I have already stated I am a current SMP here, and can speak from a much more knowledgable position than you can.

Hey guys I heard back a couple days ago that I was put on the waitlist. Does anyone know when movement tends to happen and approximately how many people from the waitlist get offered an acceptance? Thanks.

I agree! If you have the ability to get into med school/DO without the SMP, obviously DO IT! The SMP isn't a magic bullet that will get you into Harvard or something. But if you can't get into med school with your current stats, please DO give the SMP a chance. I never would have been accepted to medical school before the SMP (had an F and many Cs), but I worked really hard in the program and am going to gusom (had a few other options too).
The other thing I didn't realize before this program is that you have to choose very carefully which med schools to apply for. Some schools don't accept grade updates, and therefore won't care at all if you are in an SMP. Other schools LOVE updates and love the SMP. If you want to go to one of those schools that doesn't like updates, then you have a better chance of getting in there the cycle after the SMP so you can put all your SMP grades on your AMCAS. Be smart about where/when you apply, do well in the SMP, and you will get in!

Bottom line: If you can get in now, do it and forget the SMP! If you can't get in now, work hard in the SMP and you WILL get in (maybe not your SMP year due to the updates thing I mentioned, but very likely next year).

Can you say which schools you applied to that you think love updates/SMP?

If you email the program, they can give you this information as well. They provide it to all of us when we enroll, but I didn't use it and can't remember it for the life of me.

Pfft.... Things aren't always what they seem, sometimes reality is completely different

The schools that have historically accepted many SMPs are :
Albany
Creighton
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Florida International
George Washington
Georgetown
New York Medical College
Penn State Univ
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Tufts
Tulane
Univ of Cincinnati
University of Miami
USUHS
Virginia Tech Carillion
VCU

Of the ones on this list, I applied to Albany, Creighton, GW, Georgetown, NYMC, Penn State, Tulane, VCU. Of these 8 I found that Albany, Creighton, GW, NYMC really liked to get updates. Of course many students apply and are accepted to schools outside this list, but I think it's a decent idea to apply to at least a few of the schools on this list if you are going to be an SMP!

Last edited:
The schools that have historically accepted many SMPs are :
Albany
Creighton
Drexel
Eastern Virginia
Florida International
George Washington
Georgetown
New York Medical College
Penn State Univ
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Tufts
Tulane
Univ of Cincinnati
University of Miami
USUHS
Virginia Tech Carillion
VCU

Of the ones on this list, I applied to Albany, Creighton, GW, Georgetown, NYMC, Penn State, Tulane, VCU. Of these 8 I found that Albany, Creighton, GW, NYMC really liked to get updates. Of course many students apply and are accepted to schools outside this list, but I think it's a decent idea to apply to at least a few of the schools on this list if you are going to be an SMP!

Most of the schools you listed have their own SMP's.

Most of the schools you listed have their own SMP's.

True - that should indicate that these schools have come to learn of the value graduates of these programs bring to medical schools, to the point that they are willing to take those from other programs. I know people in the program going to NYMC, Tulane and UCinn, so it is not uncommon. In fact, historically these schools have been some of the biggest feeder schools of the GU program, with the reverse not being true. This should tell you the weight this program carries.

True - that should indicate that these schools have come to learn of the value graduates of these programs bring to medical schools, to the point that they are willing to take those from other programs. I know people in the program going to NYMC, Tulane and UCinn, so it is not uncommon. In fact, historically these schools have been some of the biggest feeder schools of the GU program, with the reverse not being true. This should tell you the weight this program carries.

And it'd probably be even more advantageous to bypass the Georgetown masters in lieu of going directly to the corresponding SMP of a medical school, especially if the price is right. The admissions faculty could directly interact with and evaluate prospective students, rather than trust one letter of recommendation written by an advisor the student met once.

And it'd probably be even more advantageous to bypass the Georgetown masters in lieu of going directly to the corresponding SMP of a medical school, especially if the price is right. The admissions faculty could directly interact with and evaluate prospective students, rather than trust one letter of recommendation written by an advisor the student met once.

If you are set on the SMP's medical school, then that is true. But Georgetown's program carries more weight with those schools that don't have such programs, including one's state school that may be cheaper and closer to home. I chose GU because it would allow me to cast a wider net. Most of the SMP programs will get you to medical school if you do well, but there are other factors to consider when choosing the right one for your own goals.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are set on the SMP's medical school, then that is true. But Georgetown's program carries more weight with those schools that don't have such programs, including one's state school that may be cheaper and closer to home. I chose GU because it would allow me to cast a wider net. Most of the SMP programs will get you to medical school if you do well, but there are other factors to consider when choosing the right one for your own goals.

School spirit is important, but it's important to realize, Gtown isn't the be-all and end-all of post-undergraduate, premedical programs.

Yes, there are no guarantees in life, to quote another's worthless platitude. However, this program is far from a guarantee into top tier medical schools, especially Georgetown's own medical school.

And the desperate, frantic students searching for entrance in med schools should consider this truth as well as Georgetown's SMP's financial burden.

School spirit is important, but it's important to realize, Gtown isn't the be-all and end-all of post-undergraduate, premedical programs.

Yes, there are no guarantees in life, to quote another's worthless platitude. However, this program is far from a guarantee into top tier medical schools, especially Georgetown's own medical school.

And the desperate, frantic students searching for entrance in med schools should consider this truth as well as Georgetown's SMP's financial burden.

What is most important to me is that those viewing this thread get the perspective of current students, who are familiar with the program and how the application process is going for its students. They do not need you telling them there are no guarantees in life, they need all the relevant information they can get their hands on in order to make an informed decision. With your anecdotal tale of someone you may have talked to who got a 3.9 at GUSMP and can't get into school, you are providing very little. If you want to be helpful, provide some email addresses of these poor 3.9/34 students, so that interested applicants can get their prospective. Without any context, you are not informing anyone - you are doing the opposite.

Reactions: 2 users
That's not really the expressed intent of this thread. I have enough experience with your program to comment on what I have, and regardless of what you're being instructed to do, you too should give an accurate account. Otherwise you're just trying to sell something.

That's not really the expressed intent of this thread. I have enough experience with your program to comment on what I have, and regardless of what you're being instructed to do, you too should give an accurate account. Otherwise you're just trying to sell something.

Let's be clear - you have NO experience with this program, and no evidence to back up the ludicrous claims you have made in this thread which have spurred the stupid amount of time I have spent calling you out. I hope those still reading understand this. Your assertion that a current student has something to gain from recruiting students is nonsensical and hilarious.

As a current SMP, I invite those interested to message me - we are a tight-knit group and I can put you in touch with someone who came from your area (we come from all over), most of whom are happy with their experience. Those who didn't walked into a tough year for which they were not prepared to fully invest, and have paid the price for it. Those that came to work are either in school or put themselves in a great position to do so. Of course it is expensive and difficult -- welcome to medical school. But I don't regret my decision and I know most of my peers haven't either. It is of course not for everyone, which is why I am happy to answer any questions or put you in touch with SMP staff, medical students here, or kids from last year that didn't get in anywhere that are reapplying.

Reactions: 7 users

LOL, this actually made me laugh.

I have absolutely zero to gain from anyone in this thread going to Georgetown. I just remember how helpful current students were when I was getting ready to start the SMP last year, and so I thought I would extend the same courtesy to anyone considering the program. I got into every SMP I applied to, and chose Georgetown for my own reasons. I'm still trying to reason with why exactly you are still here in this thread, as you've made it clear that you are not attending Georgetown in the fall (which is probably a boon for next year's class. You're a tad insufferable).

Sorry to any serious future SMPers out there who have had to slog through these past few posts. Like @Cadaverous said, if you have any questions at all, feel free to contact either one of us. Part of what has made this year so great has been the support of our peers, and we're more than happy to keep that tradition going.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Accepted today! Still holding out for GUSOM, praying for more waitlist movement this month. Will most likely attend SMP though if I don't hear back from my 2 WLs!

Hi @nosarcasm and @Cadaverous, thank you for all the great info!! I have a few questions

1. How do you guys know the number of students accepted into various med schools from the SMP?

2. Do you feel GUSOM gives highly successful students a leg up in admissions compared to similar stat non SMP students? GUSOM is one of my top choice schools (GW and GUSOM due to location/personal life reasons). If the SMP gave an upperhand to GUSOM applicants, I would be much more willing to take the financial burden of the extra year in school. Otherwise I have decent stats for lowish ranked schools

3. I know the school accepts composite/committee letters, but mine likely won't be finished until late June (bc my school finishes them once AMCAS is verified)... do you guys think that will be too late?? I already sent in my application and MCAT scores.

Last edited:
Typically ~80 SMP students get interviews at GUSOM (get over a 3.5 in the SMP and you've got a fantastic shot at a GUSOM interview) and maybe around 25-30 of those students are accepted to GUSOM. This varies from year to year, but can show you that while attending and excelling in the SMP won't guarantee you a GUSOM spot, it will definitely give you a huge leg up.

I've been placed in the downtown campus but have no idea if I want to switch or not. Can a current downtown SMP student give any details of the day to day there and any examples of what you do? And any things that have come up that may have made you think going to the other campus may have been better? Thanks!

Hi @nosarcasm and @Cadaverous, thank you for all the great info!! I have a few questions

1. How do you guys know the number of students accepted into various med schools from the SMP?

2. Do you feel GUSOM gives highly successful students a leg up in admissions compared to similar stat non SMP students? GUSOM is one of my top choice schools (GW and GUSOM due to location/personal life reasons). If the SMP gave an upperhand to GUSOM applicants, I would be much more willing to take the financial burden of the extra year in school. Otherwise I have decent stats for lowish ranked schools (3.3 GPA - 3.4 after DIY post bacc and 519 MCAT).

3. I know the school accepts composite/committee letters, but mine likely won't be finished until late June (bc my school finishes them once AMCAS is verified)... do you guys think that will be too late?? I already sent in my application and MCAT scores.

Hello!
1) They don't give us exact numbers, but typically about half of the class gets in somewhere the year of the SMP (so no gap year after). The majority of people who don't get in that year get in one or two cycles later.
2) GUSOM looks at the SMP applications in a completely different way. You get your own separate pile, basically. So instead of being compared to 10,000 other applicants, you're only being compared to the other SMPs who applied. It's definitely helpful. Also, SMPs who did not get in the year of their own program have been known to be accepted into GUSOM one or two years after they did the SMP.
3) Don't worry about the letter being done in late June. You don't need letters until you're ready to submit secondaries, and submitting secondaries in late June is by no means late

Just got accepted! So excited but also waiting to hear from other schools.

Incredibly quick turnaround - only 6 days!
When did you submit your application? When did you receive the email that it's under review?

Last edited:
Would current students recommend doing this program for an applicant w/ my stats (3.6 GPA, 31 MCAT)? I received several interviews this year, but no acceptances. Currently on the waitlist at GUSOM and TCMC but my hopes are dwindling. I want to make sure my application is as strong as possible for the next application cycle but I'm not sure if the benefits outweigh the risks for SMP in my situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Would current students recommend doing this program for an applicant w/ my stats (3.6 GPA, 31 MCAT)? I received several interviews this year, but no acceptances. Currently on the waitlist at GUSOM and TCMC but my hopes are dwindling. I want to make sure my application is as strong as possible for the next application cycle but I'm not sure if the benefits outweigh the risks for SMP in my situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I had the same stats as you and did the SMP this year. I ultimately got into school and had 5 interviews this cycle, and this is my 2nd cycle. I think it helped me, but it certainly is a risk. Message me if you have any specific questions.

I've been placed in the downtown campus but have no idea if I want to switch or not. Can a current downtown SMP student give any details of the day to day there and any examples of what you do? And any things that have come up that may have made you think going to the other campus may have been better? Thanks!

I'm currently on the downtown campus, so hopefully I can provide some insight to help you make a decision. As far as the day-to-day, the downtown campus is focused more on flipped sessions where students are expected to watch the lectures at home and then review the material in class. These reviews can take the form of case studies, working things out on a smart-board, or going through exam questions, and are led by an assistant professor and student instructor that are specific for our campus. I think these reviews were helpful regardless of whether or not I had reviewed because they provided an opportunity to think about the material. Occasionally we've also had professors come down for Q&A sessions, which were really helpful during the med classes to clarify the material and go over examples that couldn't be seen in the lecture captures. Overall, the educational experience is much more structured downtown and I think helps to keep everyone on top of the material. Even though this was just the first year, our averages in the med classes have been above the med student average in every class, so if you participate and stay on track you'll see results.

Some other things to consider are the physical location and the clinical/volunteer experiences. The downtown campus is right in the heart of the city, so going to class means that there's a good excuse to go explore and take study breaks at some amazing places like the national portrait gallery or the library of congress. Classes are also Monday-Thursday, with Fridays being open for the clinical/volunteer experiences. I think these experiences have overall been very helpful as I feel like I learned something from each one, and they gave me a lot to talk about during my interview with Georgetown.

As far as a comparison with the main campus, one of the major differences is the schedule. The downtown campus is a week behind the main campus to afford us the flexibility to watch lectures at home and have flipped sessions in class, but this also has meant that it's been difficult to coordinate activities with the main campus. Our exams have also been after almost every break which gave us more time to study, but we also haven't had an official break from studying throughout the year. I've been able to work in breaks on my own so it really hasn't been an issue, but it really depends on how well you're able to schedule your studying.

Overall I've had a positive experience downtown and would choose it again if I had the choice, but which campus is best for you really depends on how you study and what you want to get out of your education.

I'm currently on the downtown campus, so hopefully I can provide some insight to help you make a decision. As far as the day-to-day, the downtown campus is focused more on flipped sessions where students are expected to watch the lectures at home and then review the material in class. These reviews can take the form of case studies, working things out on a smart-board, or going through exam questions, and are led by an assistant professor and student instructor that are specific for our campus. I think these reviews were helpful regardless of whether or not I had reviewed because they provided an opportunity to think about the material. Occasionally we've also had professors come down for Q&A sessions, which were really helpful during the med classes to clarify the material and go over examples that couldn't be seen in the lecture captures. Overall, the educational experience is much more structured downtown and I think helps to keep everyone on top of the material. Even though this was just the first year, our averages in the med classes have been above the med student average in every class, so if you participate and stay on track you'll see results.

Some other things to consider are the physical location and the clinical/volunteer experiences. The downtown campus is right in the heart of the city, so going to class means that there's a good excuse to go explore and take study breaks at some amazing places like the national portrait gallery or the library of congress. Classes are also Monday-Thursday, with Fridays being open for the clinical/volunteer experiences. I think these experiences have overall been very helpful as I feel like I learned something from each one, and they gave me a lot to talk about during my interview with Georgetown.

As far as a comparison with the main campus, one of the major differences is the schedule. The downtown campus is a week behind the main campus to afford us the flexibility to watch lectures at home and have flipped sessions in class, but this also has meant that it's been difficult to coordinate activities with the main campus. Our exams have also been after almost every break which gave us more time to study, but we also haven't had an official break from studying throughout the year. I've been able to work in breaks on my own so it really hasn't been an issue, but it really depends on how well you're able to schedule your studying.

Overall I've had a positive experience downtown and would choose it again if I had the choice, but which campus is best for you really depends on how you study and what you want to get out of your education.

Thank you for replying! Can I just ask a few follow up questions...

What were some of the volunteer experiences you did and were they very structured for you or you have to just find opportunities?

I've been told that the hardest part of doing well in med school is knowing what to study. Did you feel like the sessions were relevant to what was ultimately tested on the exam?

The lectures that you watch are the ones that are given at the main campus? Are they actually a video recording so you can hear any questions asked?

Do you have any suggestions on areas to look for housing for the downtown campus? I am looking to rent a studio. I'm not familiar with towns in the area as I haven't been there so when I look online I'm really lost.

Thanks Again!

Good Luck to all who were accepted this year! For those waiting dont give up..let them know your interested.
I would suggest applying early to a good amount of MD schools and if you dont mind going DO apply to some! Just applying MD is ok, you could always go another cycle and add DO next time. Yes, like they say it can be a 2 year process but some get lucky the first try. Re-take your MCAT if you think you need to!
Right now you should be getting in some extra shadowing and go out and volunteer. Always make your app better. Do it NOW before the program starts! Work on your interview skills. Study hard and take it serious from day 1 and you will have the outcome you are looking for! Its a great program...good luck!

I apologize for my previous comments. Although I told no lies, I should inform viewers of my SDN comments that I was upset, thinking I could not afford the tremendous opportunity to attend Georgetown's SMP.
I'd count myself lucky if I were an SMP'er. Thank you.

How long did it take for accepted students to receive the official "Apply Yourself" portal notification?

Last edited:
How long did it take for accepted students to receive the official "Apply Yourself" portal notification?
It took a little under a week for me. I got an email that there was a decision ready for me to view. I also go a few emails from different departments of the acceptance

Is there a library or study space in the GTDT campus?

I live 20 mins away and Id like to go there for class and study there before heading back home.

Do GTDT students study together at the building? I really want to find study partners with other students so I hope it's possible even if I live 20 mins away.

Is there typically enough financial aid to cover tuition and living expenses?

Is there typically enough financial aid to cover tuition and living expenses?

I would also like to know about the "actual" cost. I thought I saw a Georgetown.edu page that covered all the potential costs of an SMP year but I cannot find it now. Going through loosely now, I can find only two set costs:

Tuition: $49,772 for the whole year
Books: $700 for the whole year

Rent + food + utilities, I'm guessing could be as high as $1500 to $2000 a month.

I guess I'm looking for someone who has personally experienced this and has taken out loans with financial aid for the program. If the aid award is significantly higher than your calculated cost (more than $3,000, say), do you take the whole award or accept a partial offer? I've never done this before, and previous financial aid was always pretty in line with the tuition and other calculated costs.

Edited to add: Also, not sure if I had put my stats up, or if it's too late to assuage people's worries if they're still looking to hear back.

uGPA - 2.67, sGPA about the same; major: Chemistry (never again), top 10 university (...also never again...haha; prestige means NOTHING if you don't personally try.)
cGPA - 2.9, with post-bac courses, about ~10 courses with a 3.6/3.7 GPA
MCAT - took three times, first 33S, then 36, then the new one last year at 514
two years scribe experience, ED mainly, also outpatient orthopedics, and time as a "manager" of sorts
two years of neuroscience research at NIDA, no pubs, but a few poster sessions and a conference

I am an absolute pessimist when it comes to applying to medical school, or for that matter any undergrad or grad school. I think it's all a crap shoot, honestly. However, I think with the personal nature of this program, they do seriously take a look to whom they could realistically give a "second chance." So don't give up!!!

Last edited:
I would also like to know about the "actual" cost. I thought I saw a Georgetown.edu page that covered all the potential costs of an SMP year but I cannot find it now. Going through loosely now, I can find only two set costs:

Rent + food + utilities, I'm guessing could be as high as $1500 to $2000 a month.

I guess I'm looking for someone who has personally experienced this and has taken out loans with financial aid for the program. If the aid award is significantly higher than your calculated cost (more than $3,000, say), do you take the whole award or accept a partial offer? I've never done this before, and previous financial aid was always pretty in line with the tuition and other calculated costs.
I can't speak to the financial aid inquiries, but I can tell you that you can easily get by without purchasing any books at all. I only bought Gray's Anatomy.

From what I remember the budget is based on 10 or 11 months. Take a look at the M1 COA. Its pretty similar I think except for the tuition. Try to get a flexible lease for 10 or 11 months so you dont run short and have to pay for 12 months. You should have 1 months rent and a security deposit ready. Rent can range from 1000- 1300. You can make it with the budget they give you but I would take the full award if you have no other means of support. I think you can also waive the insurance if your already insured. Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Edited to add: Also, not sure if I had put my stats up, or if it's too late to assuage people's worries if they're still looking to hear back.

uGPA - 2.67, sGPA about the same; major: Chemistry (never again), top 10 university (...also never again...haha; prestige means NOTHING if you don't personally try.)
cGPA - 2.9, with post-bac courses, about ~10 courses with a 3.6/3.7 GPA
MCAT - took three times, first 33S, then 36, then the new one last year at 514
two years scribe experience, ED mainly, also outpatient orthopedics, and time as a "manager" of sorts
two years of neuroscience research at NIDA, no pubs, but a few poster sessions and a conference

I am an absolute pessimist when it comes to applying to medical school, or for that matter any undergrad or grad school. I think it's all a crap shoot, honestly. However, I think with the personal nature of this program, they do seriously take a look to whom they could realistically give a "second chance." So don't give up!!!

Also interested in the financial aid question

Also interested in the financial aid question

I had to take out loans for the cost of tuition (I had enough in my savings luckily to cover my cost of living- I worked full time for about four years before the SMP). As for financial aid... there isn't really any. Did you get a financial aid offer? I was under the impression that there weren't typically any for the SMP (sometimes some very lucky people get merit-based small scholarships, but I don't know anyone personally who has gotten one).

Happy to answer any specific questions you might have!

I had to take out loans for the cost of tuition (I had enough in my savings luckily to cover my cost of living- I worked full time for about four years before the SMP). As for financial aid... there isn't really any. Did you get a financial aid offer? I was under the impression that there weren't typically any for the SMP (sometimes some very lucky people get merit-based small scholarships, but I don't know anyone personally who has gotten one).

Happy to answer any specific questions you might have!
Thanks @nosarcasm ! Just wondering if there is anything other than filling out FAFSA that I need to do? Or would I have to go and get a loan on my own?

I don't think people mean non-loan financial aid, just the process of getting your reimbursement to pay for housing etc. I have emailed the financial aid office twice to find out if my file is set up to receive the loan offer, or how I can fill out any additional paperwork, and they haven't gotten back to me. I think I will call them next week, or try to stop by there next Friday when I go to the housing fair on campus.

I don't think people mean non-loan financial aid, just the process of getting your reimbursement to pay for housing etc. I have emailed the financial aid office twice to find out if my file is set up to receive the loan offer, or how I can fill out any additional paperwork, and they haven't gotten back to me. I think I will call them next week, or try to stop by there next Friday when I go to the housing fair on campus.

When I called and asked about additional paperwork, I was told that there isn't any aside from FAFSA for SMP, even though the website states to contact financial aid and ask for them.

And yes, you're right about my initial question. I was wondering if there is enough loan offering to cover tuition and housing expenses. I'm not expecting any scholarships/grants.

When I called and asked about additional paperwork, I was told that there isn't any aside from FAFSA for SMP, even though the website states to contact financial aid and ask for them.

And yes, you're right about my initial question. I was wondering if there is enough loan offering to cover tuition and housing expenses. I'm not expecting any scholarships/grants.

I had enough loans offered to cover my tuition and then some (I only accepted the amount needed for tuition plus a teeny bit extra in case of emergency). I had worked for several years before coming to the SMP, so I had saved enough to cover cost of living for the year.

Just wondering where student typically live?

All over! A lot of us this year lived in the Glover Park area (in houses). I shared a house with four other SMPs, and it was really great. There's another pretty large group over in Foxhall, and another bunch lived in Rosslyn and took the shuttle to campus.

There are a few people who lived in DuPont, but those were the minority. A couple also lived at home in Virginia and commuted in everyday, but parking here is horrible, so try to avoid having to drive unless absolutely necessary

Waiting on one final program, but likely attending gtown. Accepted saturday night with a 3.2/3.0 and 32+.

Last edited:
I was put on the waitlist for gtown smp. It's been months since I heard anything, and figured it was a lost cause. To my surprise I got an email today saying that the committee has decided to reconsider me. Fingers crossed they have a spot for me!

Reactions: 5 users