Georgetown SMP Application Thread for 2016-2017 Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys, I have a quick question. Is it possible to be involved in research during SMP here? I once heard that Dr David Milzman, helps arrange research for students interested in research. Is this true? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

ACCEPTED!! I honestly thought they were going to reject me because I applied months ago. I am so super excited about this

Reactions: 1 user
Accepted as well! Does anyone know how long do you get the official acceptance e-mail to accept/reject after getting the e-mail from Amy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Will med school ADCOMS recognize GeorgeSquared grads the same way they recognize Georgetown SMP grads?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congrats to everyone that got accepted recently!! I told them I would definitely attend, and sent in a letter of intent/update. Anything else I could do to get off the waitlist? Also, when is the latest they send out acceptances?

What kind of numbers do students who get accepted to medical school when applying during the program have? I know ~50% of applying students are usually accepted and that they'd likely have success without the SMP, but anyone have a rough estimate of GPA/MCAT?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted! Wow. Been on the waitlist since December, I can't believe it. I was all set to go get a Master's in Physio at Tulane for 24K and currently reconsidering everything.

Stats: 2.9 uGPA/2.5 sGPA (I came from France so major language barrier but also didn't study that much. Clearly.) 511 MCAT

Any advice appreciated!

A few questions:
@jamieneutron how does this waiver situation work? Am I guaranteed admission at this point? How long does this take to process?
@Cadaverous and @nosarcasm if I pick the main campus at this point is it likely or not likely spots are left? What should I base my choice off of? Would love to speak to either of you via phone if you have some time to spare :)

Main campus guarantees a spot, downtown campus may or may not be full by now. There's a post on an earlier page about the differences between each.

Just got accepted! Wow. Been on the waitlist since December, I can't believe it. I was all set to go get a Master's in Physio at Tulane for 24K and currently reconsidering everything.

Stats: 2.9 uGPA/2.5 sGPA (I came from France so major language barrier but also didn't study that much. Clearly.) 511 MCAT

Any advice appreciated!

A few questions:
@jamieneutron how does this waiver situation work? Am I guaranteed admission at this point? How long does this take to process?
@Cadaverous and @nosarcasm if I pick the main campus at this point is it likely or not likely spots are left? What should I base my choice off of? Would love to speak to either of you via phone if you have some time to spare :)

I think you are admitted. Did you speak to Dr. M or they just sent you an email that you've been accepted? I wouldn't worry about the waiver. It takes a while to get but its just a formality. The downtown campus is full but if you want to join it you can be put on a waitlist. The main campus is never filled. I had a hard time choosing but I decided to go with the downtown campus. I would email Amy and ask for contact info of people who went to both campuses and talk to them directly with specific questions you have. Congrats!!

really nice, how did you prep for the mcat if I may ask
hey sorry i just saw this! i used examcrackers and kaplan for prepping. i also used khan academy for psych/soc and that turned out to be my highest section. their videos seem to be super helpful to some and not so much to others.

Just withdrew, hope one of you guys gets my spot

Ahh debating between this program and Case Western's! Any thoughts?

I just saw by glancing at your posting history that you applied with a GRE score. Have you taken the MCAT? If not, what cycle are you planning to apply for medical school? I only ask because you won't have any time to take the MCAT during the SMP, and though some people do take it July after the SMP, it's not an ideal situation. I can't speak to Case's program, but I did the SMP at Georgetown this year, and would be happy to answer any questions you have if you want to message me.

I agree! If you have the ability to get into med school/DO without the SMP, obviously DO IT! The SMP isn't a magic bullet that will get you into Harvard or something. But if you can't get into med school with your current stats, please DO give the SMP a chance. I never would have been accepted to medical school before the SMP (had an F and many Cs), but I worked really hard in the program and am going to gusom (had a few other options too).
The other thing I didn't realize before this program is that you have to choose very carefully which med schools to apply for. Some schools don't accept grade updates, and therefore won't care at all if you are in an SMP. Other schools LOVE updates and love the SMP. If you want to go to one of those schools that doesn't like updates, then you have a better chance of getting in there the cycle after the SMP so you can put all your SMP grades on your AMCAS. Be smart about where/when you apply, do well in the SMP, and you will get in!

Bottom line: If you can get in now, do it and forget the SMP! If you can't get in now, work hard in the SMP and you WILL get in (maybe not your SMP year due to the updates thing I mentioned, but very likely next year).

Congrats! I always love a good comeback story. Each SMP I met this year who received a GUSOM admit had fantastic personalities. As I found out who some of the admits were it generated faith in the Adcom's decisions.

I finished the year with GUSOM/ VCU/ EVMS waitlists as a VA resident. I also received several DO admits and without waitlist movement will be attending PCOM in the fall. Given that, I want to share my case and advice to the incoming SMPs:

In retrospect, this program is very enriching and will get you prepared for medical school. The lectures in the medical school are top-notch and despite the volume of biomedical information, there are still lecturers like Dr. M and Dr. Read, who go above and beyond to keep students in touch with the humanity of medicine. Trust me, when you're inspired the information will stick better.

However, the utility of the SMP is best for GPA-repair alone. As I read when I was in your shoes, it's not a cure-all even though you may be out testing students at GUSOM. If you had a 28 MCAT like I did, regardless of your performance in the program your LizzyM score may still be an insurmountable obstacle for an admit at a US MD school. For example, I finished with a 3.9 (all A's aside from 3 A-'s). As a point of reference, from what I remember, the average SMP -> GUSOM Class of 2019 matriculant had a 3.74 GPA and 32 MCAT.

I'm grateful for my PCOM LoA, and I'm excited to be now pursuing IM in Military Medicine. However, my advice for others is tailored to your goals:
  • For those who have their heart set on GUSOM, recognize that you have one shot to be in the "SMP applicant pool" and you should aim to start with the equivalent of a 30+ MCAT. (There are exceptions, since data presented during orientation last year showed an SMP with a 28 was admitted for the 2019 class.) Although less quantifiable, you also should be genuinely involved on campus and make connections to the best of your ability.
  • For those who want to go to any medical school, be humble, apply broadly, and go to the SMP. The training, administrative support, and culture of Cura Personalis is worth it.
  • For those who are set on an allopathic school, I'd say it depends on what your postbaccalaureate options are. For example, if your state MD school has a postbaccalaureate linkage program where your LizzyM score can be more competitive (given an average performance in the program), go there.
Recognize I am only speaking from my limited experience, however. Amy Richards also holds all of the data and could give you better guidance.

I hope this is helpful and I wish you all the best.

To anyone who has been through the SMP program, I'd be so grateful for your input.
I've been accepted to the program for this year, but just found out I was accepted early decision to medical school for fall of 2017. Do you think it's worth it to do the Georgetown SMP program anyway since it will better prepare for med school? Or is it really only beneficial if you're working to get in?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

To anyone who has been through the SMP program, I'd be so grateful for your input.
I've been accepted to the program for this year, but just found out I was accepted early decision to medical school for fall of 2017. Do you think it's worth it to do the Georgetown SMP program anyway since it will better prepare for med school? Or is it really only beneficial if you're working to get in?

Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks

Don't even think about doing that. What if you do poorly in the SMP? They could rescind your acceptance. Even if you do well, is 50k really worth a statistically slight advantage in medical school for only a handful of courses? Congrats on the acceptance, though.

Reactions: 1 users
does this SMP offer linkage into Georgetown's own medical school?

I'm looking at post bacc programs extensively, and would definitely like some guidance/advice.

I graduated with a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.0 sGPA. I took the first April 2015 MCAT and failed miserably (487). I'm devoting the next 4 months to intense study and plan to take the Jan 2017 exam. If I'm able to work towards something above a 505, do I have a shot at this program?

I'm curious as to whether this SMP links students in.

does this SMP offer linkage into Georgetown's own medical school?

I'm looking at post bacc programs extensively, and would definitely like some guidance/advice.

I graduated with a 3.3 cGPA and a 3.0 sGPA. I took the first April 2015 MCAT and failed miserably (487). I'm devoting the next 4 months to intense study and plan to take the Jan 2017 exam. If I'm able to work towards something above a 505, do I have a shot at this program?

I'm curious as to whether this SMP links students in.
There's no direct linkage but if you're performing in the top of the class it's (basically) guaranteed that Georgetown will interview you. Even if you're not at the "top" they look at all the SMPs separately from
the general applicant pool so there's still a better chance to get interviewed. they're going to accept a certain # from the SMP, so if you do really well and have a lot of other good stuff in your app...

How often does someone who does the smp get into school during the smp year? Do you have to wait until after you're done with the year to apply even if you go to a high powered SMP like Georgetown?

How often does someone who does the smp get into school during the smp year? Do you have to wait until after you're done with the year to apply even if you go to a high powered SMP like Georgetown?
What they've told us at orientation is that about 50% of SMPs get in the same year as the program, with most of the rest in the year following. These percentages depend on personal factors like the fact that not everyone applies the year of the SMP, some people only apply to GUSOM for the unique consideration that year, some people decide to wait or retake MCAT etc. The only thing I would say is if you're gong to apply broadly the year of the SMP it is essential that you get your primary in asap and get the secondaries done before the program starts because its turning out to be close to impossible to do so many secondaries during classes. On the other hand theres a ton of extra help and support/guidance during the program about writing primaries and secondaries and interview practice so if you apply the year following or get interviews this will definitely help you.

Currently in the SMP, let me know if you have any questions!
Currently looking at post-baccs and SMPs early in case I don't hear from schools. Aside from the heavy commitment to studying, would you say that the program seems like it's worth it so far? The cost is what worries me, but I want to be able to show schools I can handle the stress and course load that come with medical school, despite my undergrad GPA. Post-baccs seem more cost-efficient, but realistically take more time to boost a cGPA for science majors.

Currently looking at post-baccs and SMPs early in case I don't hear from schools. Aside from the heavy commitment to studying, would you say that the program seems like it's worth it so far? The cost is what worries me, but I want to be able to show schools I can handle the stress and course load that come with medical school, despite my undergrad GPA. Post-baccs seem more cost-efficient, but realistically take more time to boost a cGPA for science majors.

I graduated from the SMP in June, and I'm in my first year of medical school now. It was absolutely worth it, and I would do it again. Not just because I was lucky and got into school, but because I really learned how to study during the SMP, and now I'm having a much easier time in class than many of my peers. Feel free to private message me if you'd like!

Reactions: 2 users
I am in a very similar situation to @itsallgood92 I am a senior and I have a 3.52 (after junior year) and after doing some calculations I will have a 3.6-3.63 after my senior year with sGPA being 3.5-3.53. My MCAT was a 503 (127/123/126/127), which I am obviously going to retake. I just heard that doing an SMP shows you can handle the rigor of the M1 courseload. I was also thinking of doing a post-bacc and increasing my gpa to a 3.7 cGPA and 3.6 sGPA. I just feel kinda lost on what I should do for my gap year. Any advice would be appreciated!

Hey! What did you end up doing? I'm in the same situation as yoou, 3.6 GPA but low MCAT.I don't know if an SMP is worth it but I don't know what to do with my gap year.

Hey! What did you end up doing? I'm in the same situation as yoou, 3.6 GPA but low MCAT.I don't know if an SMP is worth it but I don't know what to do with my gap year.

For you, and SMP is almost certainly not worth it (and I say that as a huge proponent of SMPs). Get some good experiences in during your gap year, study hard and effectively for the MCAT, and retake it. No need to invest all of that money in an SMP- SMPs are best for making up for low GPAs, and yours is fine.

Hi! I just applied to the SMP and was just wondering what everyone though my chances were with my stats. Overall GPA 3.7, sGPA 3.6 with an upward trend...just got my grades from my fall semester back, took all upper division classes and ended with 4.0 for the semester. took the MCAT last summer and got a really low score (497) I'm studying to take it again in April. I have lots of extracurriculars/clinical shadowing hours. They emailed me and said I should be hearing in around 2-3 weeks. what do you think my chances are???? Does my low MCAT totally tank any chance I have of getting into this program??

Hi! I just applied to the SMP and was just wondering what everyone though my chances were with my stats. Overall GPA 3.7, sGPA 3.6 with an upward trend...just got my grades from my fall semester back, took all upper division classes and ended with 4.0 for the semester. took the MCAT last summer and got a really low score (497) I'm studying to take it again in April. I have lots of extracurriculars/clinical shadowing hours. They emailed me and said I should be hearing in around 2-3 weeks. what do you think my chances are???? Does my low MCAT totally tank any chance I have of getting into this program??

I think you have a really good shot of getting in, especially this early in the year. Your GPA is much higher than the vast majority of people who do the SMP. I'm a current SMP and I was admitted with 3.6 GPA and a 31 MCAT. I applied late in the cycle (late March I think) and received the acceptance within a month. There are people who do the SMP and retake their MCAT the following summer. That's one of the suggestions from the directors at the beginning of the program.

The better question is, do you need this program with your GPA? The program is tough, primarily because of the grading scheme. A B (3.0) is set at whatever the medical school average is on any particular test is. Med school students are smart and our exam averages are generally pretty high so in order to get an A, you have to do a standard deviation above the average. With your GPA, I'd recommend retaking your MCAT, doing very well, and replying.

Last edited:

Your GPA is too high for this program, it's ideal for those who need GPA repair but already have a good MCAT. That being said, your MCAT will remain just as significant when you're being compared against your SMP peers for entry into GUSOM.

I recommend doing research, getting published, and spending your money on a prep course / retaking the MCAT.

I think you have a really good shot of getting in, especially this early in the year. Your GPA is much higher than the vast majority of people who do the SMP. I'm a current SMP and I was admitted with 3.6 GPA and a 31 MCAT. I applied late in the cycle (late March I think) and received the acceptance within a month. There are people who do the SMP and retake their MCAT the following summer. That's one of the suggestions from the directors at the beginning of the program.

The better question is, do you need this program with your GPA? The program is tough, primarily because of the grading scheme. A B (3.0) is set at whatever the medical school average is on any particular test is. Med school students are smart and our exam averages are generally pretty high so in order to get an A, you have to do a standard deviation above the average. With your GPA, I'd recommend retaking your MCAT, doing very well, and replying.

I currently have similar stats to yours.Do you think this program helped you this past year? Did you get acceptances from schools of your choice? Basically,was this SMP worth it?

I currently have similar stats to yours.Do you think this program helped you this past year? Did you get acceptances from schools of your choice? Basically,was this SMP worth it?

It's hard to say if it's helped with admissions as this is my second cycle. Last year I had several interviews and a couple waitlist spots. This year, I was admitted at one of the schools I had a waitlist spot at last year. However, I am getting more interviews at my target schools this year. I don't know whether to attribute the acceptance to my second cycle or the SMP, or perhaps, it's both.

I think it all depends on your attitude. In my case, I was getting tired of my job and was eager to learn medicine. My decision to do this program was more about getting continuing education from a school that I loved, rather than using this program solely to gain admission to med school. When you start the year, the advisors make it clear that getting admitted into a med school is a 2 year process for about half the class.

That being said, I absolutely think the SMP was worth it because this has been one of the best years of my life. The content you learn, the competitive yet compassionate edge from the students, and the amazing faculty have really made this year spectacular. If I could go back, I would make the same decision to pursue this program. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
It's hard to stay if it's helped with admissions as this is my second cycle. Last year I had several interviews and a couple waitlist spots. This year, I was admitted at one of the schools I had a waitlist spot at last year. However, I am getting more interviews at my target schools this year. I don't know whether to attribute the acceptance to my second cycle or the SMP, or perhaps, it's both.

I think it all depends on your attitude. In my case, I was getting tired of my job and was eager to learn medicine. My decision to do this program was more about getting continuing education from a school that I loved, rather than using this program solely to gain admission to med school. When you start the year, the advisors make it clear that getting admitted into a med school is a 2 year process for about half the class.

That being said, I absolutely think the SMP was worth it because this has been one of the best years of my life. The content you learn, the competitive yet compassionate edge from the students, and the amazing faculty have really made this year spectacular. If I could go back, I would make the same decision to pursue this program. Hope this helps!

Did you have to retake your MCAT during your SMP year?

Did you have to retake your MCAT during your SMP year?

Nope. Used my old MCAT score. If you're sitting at a low 30s, or whatever that is on the new MCAT, I think that's a good score.

Also, it's difficult, nearly impossible to retake the MCAT while in this program. There's just not enough time. For those that do retake it, they either do a short intensive study program at the beginning of summer, or make this a 2 year process.

Current SMP at Georgetown - a few people in the class have already been accepted, and many others have had 1+ interviews at allopathic medical programs this year. If you need an SMP and think you can handle the work load, just do it. But understand that's it's a dsjfhadipungvlji ton of work and unlike the meds who are pass/ no pass, your grades DO matter and it is intense if you want a 3.9+... but doable.

Also, a few people in this program don't need the SMP, but just doing it to get a head start for med school which is totally valid if that's what you want. Think about what your needs/ goals are... then if you want to do this program, just do it. It's not necessarily about "needing" it in some cases. You're the best judge of whether or not it's a good fit for you given your record, background, and goals.

Should I receive an email stating that my application is complete? I logged in to my application and all of my materials have been received and it says completed on 2/3/2017. I am wondering how long it will take to hear back from GU.

Should I receive an email stating that my application is complete? I logged in to my application and all of my materials have been received and it says completed on 2/3/2017. I am wondering how long it will take to hear back from GU.
Have you sent any kind of update letter or letter of interest? I think that helped me get in last year, the program directors are really thorough and take a personal approach to each application, and they like to know how dedicated you are to going.

Yes you should. I would recommend emailing their admissions office to make sure your that their report did not miss you.

Similar issue here....I sent in everything but my application is still showing as "incomplete"...I submitted my primary application around Jan. 2017 but my last LOR and score arrived kinda late. I guess my score was received like 3 days ago? They prob need longer to mark that as complete.Did you get any updates from them?

Similar issue here....I sent in everything but my application is still showing as "incomplete"...I submitted my primary application around Jan. 2017 but my last LOR and score arrived kinda late. I guess my score was received like 3 days ago? They prob need longer to mark that as complete.Did you get any updates from them?
I emailed them about my status and they said that because I was complete, that I didnt need to do anything else. I never got a confirmation email either. I have been accepted to a few other programs and have pretty much given up on this one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SDN mobile

Hi guys...I just got an email saying I was out on the waitlist this year. Anyone who was on the waitlist and then got in has some suggestions for me? Like what should I do? Or what to inform them? Thanks a ton!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I was just accepted to the SMP program. On one of their blogs they mention that if you are on a waitlist for med school, that you should send the med school a letter thanking them for keeping you under consideration and reminding them of all the reasons why you would be a good fit and want to go to their institution. Therefore, I'm sure they would appreciate the same from someone on the SMP waitlist. Good luck:)