Georgetown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armistadzor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Id like to learn more about the georgetown program and away rotation. Can anyone comment on the Structure/style of the away rotation and/or the program in general? Would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,

Sorry I did not see your post sooner. I am a current Georgetown resident and happy to help.. It's likely too late for AI rotation advice to be useful, so I hope the following about our program helps!

The benefits of Georgetown are that it is on the integrated side of the integrated programs. You do 3 months of PRS intern year, then all but 5 months of PGY-2+3 are PRS or PRS-related (e.g., burns). Right now the PGY-2+3 GS months are on the breast/vascular service, but there are currently talks about getting rid of them altogether. As for operative experience, you get to work closely with all the big names like Spear, Nahabedian, Baker, Ducic, Attinger, Davison, and Posnick. In addition there are other academic faculty operating at Georgetown, as well as a handful of community guys who are glad to have resident help. The younger faculty are especially great about having junior level residents operate and teaching them in general. Hand is done as a PGY-2 and 4 at Union, which is a phenomenal experience overall (apparently it's one of the top ortho hand fellowships), and there are now more hand cases at Gtown as well with the addition of new faculty. Services are on a semi-apprecticeship model. We have only 1 fellow, which is Dr. Spear's. So there's no competing for cases. As for hospitals we rotate through Georgetown, Sibley, George Washington, Children's National, Washington Hospital Center, Union, our outpatient surgery center, and the VA. It can be seen as a pro or con that we rotate through many places. We are the only PRS residency in the city and as you can imagine, you will work with dozens of attendings.

The residents run the show for most services (as a PGY-2 you're a chief on the breast/vascular service, and as a PGY-3 a chief on Dr. Attinger's limb salvage service). You will be doing cases on your own as a 2, and will be given much autonomy in the OR (e.g., as an intern I do my own side on an expander recon). Residents don't have a hard time going where they want for fellowship or getting a job, and Dr. Baker will go to bat for you.

By far the biggest draw to Georgetown is the resident camaraderie. Services are very egalitarian and residents hang out together after work and on weekends. After long days attendings will often take us out for dinner and drinks.

As for call, it's all home call on PRS services and likely our biggest weakness is that we don't have much experience seeing people in the ED (excluding Union). Most of our patients are referred in. On the other hand, you will not be getting called 10 times a night for hand/face issues. Similarly because we're not in a high-volume trauma center our weakest operative experience (comparatively) is in facial fractures. The seniors tell me that they have the numbers, but far exceed them for everything else.

For research, there is a ton going on, though it is all clinical or cadaveric studies. If you wish to do bench research then this isn't the place for you.

Hope this helps and let me know if you have any other questions!

Last edited:
Update:

Curriculum change for PGY 2-3 has been approved. There are no longer General Surgery rotations or call after intern year. Instead second years will have more time on plastic surgery at Hospital Center and third years will go to Union/Curtis Hand Center. The 3 months of Limb/Plastic Surgery during intern year will remain as well.