Georgia License trying to start career in medicine again!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRZIVAR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends I need some information from others who might be in the same boat as me. I was just recently granted a medical license as a GP in state of Georgia and you can follow my posts from before. I have been away from patient contact since I got out of residency about 5 years or so ago and obviously now want to get back in. I reside in California and wanted to know besides moving to Georgia and joining or starting a practice and Federal jobs (VAs and Prisons and such) as well as Indian reservations, which one is the way to go to start getting back into the field. I am somewhat confident in my abilities to practice but just need a head start and some advise. I have my name out there for recruiters in Georgia and I have applied for Federal positions online through their website. I am open to any suggestions or anyone who has something to say. Also is it worth pursuing Wisconsin licensure again to see if they would grant me a license now if there is any benefit even into getting that? I wish luck for any one else who is in the same boat and willing to help others who need my advise on how to obtain Georgia License.

Members don't see this ad.

HI Dr Zivar, congrats and i'd love to help. Have you considered a direct care model?

I know of some groups looking for doctors but if you wanted your own direct care clinic, we have a whole startup packet for doctors and offer all of our consulting for free.

http://time.com/3643841/medicine-gets-personal/

My big concern is your ability to self-assess. You say this:

... I am somewhat confident in my abilities to practice but just need a head start and some advise.

But looking through your prior threads, I see this in response to a prior question you had:
"...all you have on your record is red flags. About the only thing you can honestly say is that you've never had a license or hospital privileges revoked, but that's because you've never had either of them to be taken away. You have quit or been fired from 2 different residency program and been unable to find a 3rd residency spot (through the Match or Scramble/SOAP) since. While you appear to have completed 12 calendar months of training, nobody who knows what they're talking about would agree that you've completed a full year of residency training."

So I can't imagine HOW you could possibly be competent to practice - you haven't even finished a full internship year successfully and you haven't been doing any clinical medicine for 5 years? That makes you a clinical danger as far as I am concerned. At this point, even if you could get a license anywhere and a job, you would be doing a great disservice to veterans, Native Americans, and imprisoned people, all of whom DESERVE competent clinical care, which I can't fathom that you would be able to provide.

That doesn't mean you are a bad person, and it doesn't mean that you are unable to learn how to be a competent clinician, but you have not had adequate or recent training. You may be ready to learn, but you are not ready to practice.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
While I agree with the above response, I will suggest the Missouri physician assistant route. You could practice as a PA due to your having completed a medical degree without a residency. Furthermore, you might find options to network yourself into getting some post-graduate training.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello friends I need some information from others who might be in the same boat as me. I was just recently granted a medical license as a GP in state of Georgia and you can follow my posts from before. I have been away from patient contact since I got out of residency about 5 years or so ago and obviously now want to get back in. I reside in California and wanted to know besides moving to Georgia and joining or starting a practice and Federal jobs (VAs and Prisons and such) as well as Indian reservations, which one is the way to go to start getting back into the field. I am somewhat confident in my abilities to practice but just need a head start and some advise. I have my name out there for recruiters in Georgia and I have applied for Federal positions online through their website. I am open to any suggestions or anyone who has something to say. Also is it worth pursuing Wisconsin licensure again to see if they would grant me a license now if there is any benefit even into getting that? I wish luck for any one else who is in the same boat and willing to help others who need my advise on how to obtain Georgia License.

Dear Dr. Zivar
I am in a same boat as you. I am a FMG and passed USMLE Step 1, 2 & 3 in seven year Period limit. I did one of year of Credited Surgery (Prilim) Internship (PGY-1) and completed one year Anesthesiology Residency (PGY-2) which was not credited. After I left the program, I tried to get back into residency, so far unsuccessful. Now I am trying to get a license in Wisconsin / Georgia / Puerto Rico. In this matter, you can help me a lot. Please contact me ASAP at [email protected] . Thank you

Dear W19,
Thanks for your input. Actually my goal to get the FL’s “Area of Critical need “ License. For that I need a license from any other state. With one year f accredited Residency, I am legally eligible to apply for Wisconsin/ Georgia/ Puerto Rico License. But I exceed the attempt limit for USMLE Step 1 & 3. So that is going to be a problem for applying in Wisconsin & Georgia. In Puerto Rico, no attempt limits. Now I am planning to apply for the P uerto Rico License. How hard is to get Puerto Rico Medical License? Is any other option for me to get a Medical license or physician like job? Anyone with any insight on my situation I would gladly appreciate it.

Dear W19,
Thanks for your input. Actually my goal to get the FL’s “Area of Critical need “ License. For that I need a license from any other state. With one year f accredited Residency, I am legally eligible to apply for Wisconsin/ Georgia/ Puerto Rico License. But I exceed the attempt limit for USMLE Step 1 & 3. So that is going to be a problem for applying in Wisconsin & Georgia. In Puerto Rico, no attempt limits. Now I am planning to apply for the P uerto Rico License. How hard is to get Puerto Rico Medical License? Is any other option for me to get a Medical license or physician like job? Anyone with any insight on my situation I would gladly appreciate it.
Not sure how difficult it is to get a license in PR. However, I know someone who did a 1-year 'unapproved' AGCME internship in PR and he was able to get a license with no issues...