Georgia MPJE and Practical! Help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KayEnEss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any study materials and/or advice for the Georgia mpje and Practical exam? Especially study guides etc. Anything that guves an idea of the type of questions and expectations for the exams? Please help! [email protected] Thanks so much!!!

Members don't see this ad.

There has been some good posts/ attachments on here. I'm assuming you are also scheduled for the March 19th practical?? I was so shocked they decided to do a March one. I'm nervous. I'm trying to review Georgia Law for label requirements (compounding section). Practice errors and emission especially because that is really the only section that I have heard people fail. I also have to brush up on calculations and compounding procedures. I really hope I don't have to make a suppository- and anyways they only give you 1 hour to make two compounds complete with calculations, label, and instructions.... So hopefully it won't be complicated.

I passed! :) Practice common pharmacy math problems without a calculator, practice errors and emissions while timed (several were confusing). During our E/O, they staggered people so we were each blocking each other's view of the projection screen. I ended up with very bad neck pain. It was easy for me to get an panic, when I noticed people around discovered what was wrong on the E/O problem when I was struggling to see the screen. :/ Know brand versus generics, some were very difficult.

Good luck and stay calm. My overall impression is that they are fair graders, but expect at least some curve balls. When in doubt with the E/O slides, write down a comment explaining why you choose your answer (if you feel like it could have went 2 ways). Stay focused with the math section, do only what they ask, even though it may not make sense.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I passed! :) Practice common pharmacy math problems without a calculator, practice errors and emissions while timed (several were confusing). During our E/O, they staggered people so we were each blocking each other's view of the projection screen. I ended up with very bad neck pain. It was easy for me to get an panic, when I noticed people around discovered what was wrong on the E/O problem when I was struggling to see the screen. :/ Know brand versus generics, some were very difficult.

Good luck and stay calm. My overall impression is that they are fair graders, but expect at least some curve balls. When in doubt with the E/O slides, write down a comment explaining why you choose your answer (if you feel like it could have went 2 ways). Stay focused with the math section, do only what they ask, even though it may not make sense.

Was the compounding hard? I've been 100% clinic these past two years and I haven't compounded anything since pharmacy school.

Was the compounding hard? I've been 100% clinic these past two years and I haven't compounded anything since pharmacy school.
Hi, I took the June 11th practical and the compounding is not hard at all. I got to compound a cream with very simple calculations. Many of us did not get the exact result of the calculations but still passed

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys,
I have all my paper work in with board of pharmacy and I am just wondering what the time frame is they gave you before letting you know which exam date yall had. I kinda need to book a flight/put in vacation with my current job if I get the August seat. I am kinda out of state and don't know if I should just expect the January seat ?

Hey guys,
I have all my paper work in with board of pharmacy and I am just wondering what the time frame is they gave you before letting you know which exam date yall had. I kinda need to book a flight/put in vacation with my current job if I get the August seat. I am kinda out of state and don't know if I should just expect the January seat ?
You should call. If you don't, you won't find out until two weeks before the test date.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks
I called and I have the August date. Ugh I heard it was hard I hope I pass. I am coming in blind except for whatever is on this forum. Any idea on how long the test takes? Trying to figure out my flight back.

120 calculations I found on this forum...would that be the best bet for passing the compounding part? I feel so blinded about this test but really wanna move to GA and is it true you have to take the MPJE same day? At the testing site?

Thanks
I called and I have the August date. Ugh I heard it was hard I hope I pass. I am coming in blind except for whatever is on this forum. Any idea on how long the test takes? Trying to figure out my flight back.

120 calculations I found on this forum...would that be the best bet for passing the compounding part? I feel so blinded about this test but really wanna move to GA and is it true you have to take the MPJE same day? At the testing site?

Who told you that you have to take the MPJE same day? There's no mention of that anywhere. You can take the MPJE before or after the exam. I'm taking mine next week. As for studying, the only thing I have to go off of is from this site. There's really no mention of what all to prepare from the board.

Ok yes I found out that was not true. Please let me know how long it takes you. I am trying to book my flight and GBOP has not told me whether I am in the afternoon session or morning session. When did you find out what session you had?

Ok yes I found out that was not true. Please let me know how long it takes you. I am trying to book my flight and GBOP has not told me whether I am in the afternoon session or morning session. When did you find out what session you had?
Are there two sessions? I thought only one?

I am also preparing for the mpje next week I am so clueless about how to prepare for the exam. ANY tips would be very appreciated

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also preparing for the mpje next week I am so clueless about how to prepare for the exam. ANY tips would be very appreciated
I bought the blue book...guide to federal law. I bought it off of AMAZON. Even though it is federal, it helps because it has a lot of practice questions in the back of the book and puts everything in easy to read format. As long as you know the MAIN differences with GA law I think you should be ok. Also, I bought the cd off of pharmacyexam.com. I read the reviews and people swear by it. Although I haven't taken the GA law yet, both of these study materials helped me after I failed LA law the first time.

Good to know. I wasn't told this.
Same here I found out this week. And Im scared Im gonna miss my flight. If anyone can let me know how long it lasted I would greatly appreciate it. Because I think we have to interview with the board members on our compound and that is what takes the longest.

No calculators and I believe you need to wear a lab coat as well. What have you been studying to prepare? Are you from out of state?
?

No calculators and I believe you need to wear a lab coat as well. What have you been studying to prepare? Are you from out of state?
?

Yup. You have to wear a lab coat. I have mine from my residency and I am out of state. I've just been working on some calculations here and there but I'm going to start really getting busy on the studying soon.

Thanks

Nina,
I am also trying to get licensed in GA. GA BOP received my application on 7/6/15 and still waiting for their response to know if I will be admitted into Aug practical exam or not. May I know when GA BOP received your application? after how many days you found that you were admitted into August practical exam. Also whom did you talk at GA BOP?
I really appreciate your help.

Nina,
I am also trying to get licensed in GA. GA BOP received my application on 7/6/15 and still waiting for their response to know if I will be admitted into Aug practical exam or not. May I know when GA BOP received your application? after how many days you found that you were admitted into August practical exam. Also whom did you talk at GA BOP?

You should call their phone number and ask them if you got into the testing date. If you don't, you'll have to wait to get a letter two weeks before the testing date but they can tell you on the phone.

You should call their phone number and ask them if you got into the testing date. If you don't, you'll have to wait to get a letter two weeks before the testing date but they can tell you on the phone.
I need details about the practical exam
1)how many compounds you were given and what all you had to do,Pl give examples.did you do actual compounding and make labels
2)how many errors and omissions u were given and how much time for all.Do you remember a few examples
3)Patient counseling: how many you had to counsel and more details on it.

1)how many compounds you were given and what all you had to do,Pl give examples.did you do actual compounding and make labels
2)how many errors and omissions u were given and how much time for all.Do you remember a few examples

I don't have details. I haven't taken it yet and the board doesn't give you much information to go by.

You should Google the GA practical. Most of the answers to these questions are online:
1) You will have two compounds. One will probably be a sterile admixture, the other will be something non-sterile (It can't be too hard bc you have a limited amount of time to do it. Can't remember exactly how much.)
2) You have 30 E&O, 2 minutes per slide. They give you extra time at the end to transfer your answers to your bubble in sheet. Highly recommend taking notes on your sheet so you can go back to a question if you need more time. Also use your comments sheet to write a note to the graders if you think you need to justify your answer.
3) You only have one patient that has a billion meds. You find talking points, whether it's duplication of therapy, allergies, drug-drug interactions, etc. You discuss those with the board member that you meet with.

My application was received June 6th but I was missing my affidavit form and didn't know that until like end of June when they emailed me. Thought I was clear on everything I need for reciprocity. So I didn't get my date for August exam until the 6th of July. Then followed up with them on what session. Best thing to do is keep calling.

Anyone run across the law for filling out of state prescriptions? I can't seem to find it? And I know it's important to know.

Nina,

I emailed [email protected] she was very helpful through the process. Again, mine took longer because I was missing a form.

Hi guys!
I took the practical in March at 37 weeks pregnant. I too am reciprocating. I passed E/O with a 90 and Patient profile with 100. However, compounding they gave me a 60. So now I have to retake the whole exam in August again. I had to do a suspension and IV. I'm not sure what I did wrong on compounding. Other than maybe my calculation was off. I was pretty much felt rushed because I was the 4 th to last to be seen by board member and I was waiting like an hour and half to see them (very pregnant). I think they just wanted me to go home. Now I'm getting nervous because I'm not sure what to look forward to on compounding. I've been retail for 12 yrs after pharmacy school. Never did much compounding.

I've been practicing on calculations like crazy. But hard with no calculator to use on the exam. How are you suppose to triple check your answer. If anyone can give me more insight on the compounding portion I would really appreciate it.

Hi guys!
I took the practical in March at 37 weeks pregnant. I too am reciprocating. I passed E/O with a 90 and Patient profile with 100. However, compounding they gave me a 60. So now I have to retake the whole exam in August again. I had to do a suspension and IV. I'm not sure what I did wrong on compounding. Other than maybe my calculation was off. I was pretty much felt rushed because I was the 4 th to last to be seen by board member and I was waiting like an hour and half to see them (very pregnant). I think they just wanted me to go home. Now I'm getting nervous because I'm not sure what to look forward to on compounding. I've been retail for 12 yrs after pharmacy school. Never did much compounding.

I've been practicing on calculations like crazy. But hard with no calculator to use on the exam. How are you suppose to triple check your answer. If anyone can give me more insight on the compounding portion I would really appreciate it.

Sorry you're having to retake. I'm worried about this portion as well. I've been strictly clinical for the past two years since graduation. The last time I compounded anything was my P4 year, I made a couple of things. I hate having to do calculations as well with calculators. Did you feel the calculations that they did give you were hard?

I alrea
Hi guys!

I already feel doomed. What's the pass rate of this exam anyway? I am hoping I don't have to retake it in January but I am not confident on compounding so it won't surprise me. So they don't tell you what you did wrong? How are you supposed to learn?

Hi guys!

Was it 2 hours or 1 hour when you took it? If it was one hour without a calculator I can see why you were rushed

Well I'm focusing on MPJE now tryna get it over with. But last week I was practicing calculations out of rxprep and apha book focusing on the compounding chapter....I think EO and counseling will be ok if weve been in practice! By the way that's what I was thinking....that hopefully it's easier because it's one hour!!!!! Right? Lol

I wonder if when you do EO, you have to consider what all needs to be on a prescription (Patient name, address, prescriber's info). I don't deal with scripts in any capacity, so trying to remember what needs to be on prescription is hard outside of like drug name, strength, frequency.

I got my letter today.
You only have an hour on compounding. I guess, for me, just given a compound RX and looking at I didn't know what to do or what they wanted. They just give you 3 ingredients, sig and wt. then you have to figure it out. I may have freaked out cause I was so use to solving problem questions. Then you have to label correctly, etc. (graduated in 2003) no idea what I was doing (prego).
I've been doing the 120 question that has been circulating on this forum. UNC has a online lecture for compounding. I just took MPJE on the 13th and passed. All I did was the Pharmacyexam CD.

E/O thought was some what easy. Retail here so that maybe why. Need to know brand/generic, how to fill control substance, dosages, the technical stuff. Your given written RX, computer label and drug on slide. You have to find error. 2 min for each slide.

Reactions: 2 users
That's good news about the MPJE congrats!!! MPJE is tough. Use that for your energy to pass this one! Yes UNC has good material!

Hi, I took the June 11th practical and the compounding is not hard at all. I got to compound a cream with very simple calculations. Many of us did not get the exact result of the calculations but still passed

Hey there Congrats! Did you also have to compound a sterile IV bag?

Hi guys!

Same here!! I passed E/O and Counseling with 80% and made a 60% on Compounding. I ran out of time on my IV bag. Im scheduled for the August 6th and Im extremely nervous.

For the people who took the June 11 exam. What did you compound on the Compounding portion. Was it still a hour?

Per the letter I received, everyone gets only 1 hour to make two products. Not sure if everyone gets the same thing though.

Reactions: 1 users
@GoldfishPharmD Just a tip - You will need to know what goes on a prescription label both in the outpatient and inpatient settings and also what is required on a prescription drug order in community and hospital settings. (It helps to have an exact process that you go through the same way for every single slide.) These are critical to know for E&O but also for compounding because you'll have to write a "label" for your final products.

@GoldfishPharmD Just a tip - You will need to know what goes on a prescription label both in the outpatient and inpatient settings and also what is required on a prescription drug order in community and hospital settings. (It helps to have an exact process that you go through the same way for every single slide.) These are critical to know for E&O but also for compounding because you'll have to write a "label" for your final products.

Yeah, that's what I figured. Thanks for the information! :)

No, I honestly think I overthought it and I ran out of time. I was under the impression that we had a 1.5 hr to complete everything and I studied for it that way. I did well on the community RX but I screwed up on the IV Rx.

I'm getting nervous about the test. Compounding isn't my thing, which is why I stayed away from it and never planned on doing it. It's also not any part of my job. Sigh, good luck to you! :)