Georgia OOS Tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FeenyFee

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! :)

I am applying to UF since its my instate (and I love it!) but I also wanted to apply to Georgia and Auburn. I was researching Georgia tuition and fees and this is what is on their website:

• Non-resident contract fee:
    $28,370 ($14,185 per semester) for 2015-2016 year
  • **At-Large Students:
    • For the 2015-2016 year: $47,380
  • **At-Large Students:
    Applicants not verified as a Georgia resident for tuition purposes or who do not qualify for the Delaware or South Carolina contract program ("At Large" students) are required to pay veterinary student tuition and fees, as well as a non-resident contract fee, each and every year they are enrolled in the College. The number shown here is the total amount of tuition and fees, plus the non-resident contract fee.
I'm confused as to why there is a non-resident and at-large student category. Aren't they the same thing? So is $47,380 the total tuition for an OOS student?

Also, does the bolded area basically mean that OOS students can never be considered IS and pay IS tuition?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I believe non-res contract is the cost for Delaware and S. Carolina students (who are selected for the contract seats). No other states qualify for the contract price.

And yes, that's what it means. You start OOS, you graduate OOS.

Reactions: 1 user
Only a handful of schools allow their students to change residency after attending the school for a year. You cannot change your residency for other schools just because you started attending school in that state.

It basically sounds like a weird classification for OOS students since they have contract states. So since you are not from Delaware/SC, you have to pay the non-resident contract fee ($28370) in addition to the 'base' tuition ($19010) to equal $47380. "At large" is probably used to differentiate between OOS and OOS-contracted students to avoid confusion.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you also looked into Georgia's stats. They have very few OOS seats so I would consider whether it is worth it to apply there, considering the chances of getting in and the higher OOS tuition.

I believe non-res contract is the cost for Delaware and S. Carolina students (who are selected for the contract seats). No other states qualify for the contract price.

And yes, that's what it means. You start OOS, you graduate OOS.
What exactly does contract seats and price mean?

Only a handful of schools allow their students to change residency after attending the school for a year. You cannot change your residency for other schools just because you started attending school in that state.

It basically sounds like a weird classification for OOS students since they have contract states. So since you are not from Delaware/SC, you have to pay the non-resident contract fee ($28370) in addition to the 'base' tuition ($19010) to equal $47380. "At large" is probably used to differentiate between OOS and OOS-contracted students to avoid confusion.
I will have to look into those schools! Thank you for your response.

I hope you also looked into Georgia's stats. They have very few OOS seats so I would consider whether it is worth it to apply there, considering the chances of getting in and the higher OOS tuition.
I had not looked into it. But I will now and for the other OOS schools I am looking at. Thank you!

I will have to look into those schools! Thank you for your response.
I believe there was a thread about it recently, but for your reference that handful includes Missouri, NC State, Ohio, UC Davis, Minnesota, and WSU if you're at the Pullman campus.

Reactions: 1 users
Contract seats are when states without veterinary schools negotiate with nearby states that do have schools. The school will 'reserve' x amount of seats for applicants from the contract states for IS tuition.

I think most states do it to ensure they'll have practicing veterinarians in their state.

Some states that don't have their own vet school sponsor a certain number of seats at a nearby vet school (or schools), allowing that number of students from that state to pay in-state or close to in-state tuition at the school they have the contract with. It is generally with the expectation that those students will return to practice in that state, though I'm not sure if the student has to commit to that or anything to be eligible for a contract seat.

I believe there was a thread about it recently, but for your reference that handful includes Missouri, NC State, Ohio, UC Davis, Minnesota, and WSU if you're at the Pullman campus.
Thank you! You've saved me a lot of time and energy. This forum is so helpful.

There's always the chance that you may be offered in-state tuition even if you are out-of-state (OOS tuition waivers). I'd say if you can afford the extra $ to apply, then do it. UGA doesn't do interviews, so it's not like you'd have to worry about travel expenses to interview.

There's always the chance that you may be offered in-state tuition even if you are out-of-state (OOS tuition waivers). I'd say if you can afford the extra $ to apply, then do it. UGA doesn't do interviews, so it's not like you'd have to worry about travel expenses to interview.
How likely would that be? It says on UGA website that OOS students HAVE to pay the "at large" sum every year...

How does that work? I've heard of the rare OOS student being offered an IS seat because the school couldn't fill the IS seats, but never a waiver.

If you are an especially impressive applicant they will offer you IS to get you to come to UGA. So not very likely, but if you're out of this world, definitely possible!

There's usually an application process (at least the schools I looked into) to get a waiver. I'm not sure how many people get them...I guess it depends on funds available, if you qualify, etc. You'd probably have to look into the individual schools criteria for a waiver. I doubt they readily give out the waiver info, you'd probably have to ask or research it yourself. I don't know about having to be out of this world impressive, it also depends on your definition of out of this world impressive! LOL! I got IS tuition (being OOS) and I wasn't academically out of this world...all though I am pretty non-traditional, maybe that's why?? IDK...I didn't ask why, I was just grateful!