Geriatric Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredo32

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How competitive is a geriatraics fellowship for a D.O.? There aren't many in Michigan and I think they are all allopathic fellowships. This is a long way off for me, but I would like to know the options I have available.
Thanks for your input:)

Members don't see this ad.

Geriatrics fellowships are generally not very competitive, as it does not increase your pay much if at all, plus pts are more complex. You also have to deal with families a lot, which can be +/-.

I'll be going into the geriatrics program at UCLA this coming year, if that tells you anything.

Thanks so much. Honestly, I could absolutely care less about the $, I was just worried about how likely getting into a program would be for me.

futuredo32 said:
How competitive is a geriatraics fellowship for a D.O.? There aren't many in Michigan and I think they are all allopathic fellowships. This is a long way off for me, but I would like to know the options I have available.
Thanks for your input:)

I don't know specifically for DO's, but geriatrics isn't that competitive. The top places in the country definitely fill, but most places don't--I thought I heard something like only 50% of spots fill nationally, although that seems low. It's a great field IMO (obviously not everyone's cup of tea), and geriatricians are generally very happy to talk to interested students and residents, so you should seek some out and ask them about the places you're interested in.