Geriatrics and Palliative for Hem/ Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hitbykamikaze

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an IMG on a J1 Visa; Average of 238 Step 1 and 2.. I am in PGY-4 of Med/Peds residency in a mid tier university program. No in house fellowships here.I have discovered that I really want to do Adult Hem/Onc which I had discovered in my third year. It was a bit late, I would guess. I have 3-4 local posters and a publications(pediatrics). I have applied for match, lets see how that goes.But, I was planning on having a backup.

Was wondering how good would it be if I had a geriatrics and a palliative fellowship from big places like MDACC,MSKCC. Would that make my application more favourable when I apply next time?I have seen it happen that there are a few onc fellows who have completed palliative fellowship.I also believe possessing palliative knowledge would be important for an oncologist.

I have my heart set on Oncology. I want to practice it later. But, if there is no advantage in doing it, then I will have to reconsider this decision. I dont mind spending a extra year or two in training if it can help me.

The other option would be to do a pediatric hem/onc and then do adult later. It is a lot more training which I am not really inclined to do. Dont know if that's helpful by any means in clinching Adult Hem.Onc. What do you guys think?

I would love to see what @gutonc would think about this.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: