Germany Medical School Admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cherry12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am a recent college graduate (associate degree of Arts, focusing in Bus Adm) looking for an opportunity to get into medical school. I know that my major is not related to what I wish to pursue at all but its only because my parents forced me to do business.. and I was too immature and blind to actually follow what they said.
I have always been interested in science (especially medicine) and have longed to pursue it ever since I graduated from high school. However, my parents did not approve my idea of going into med school. So now I am basically stuck with an unwanted degree haha. I discussed about this matter with my parents, and they finally agreed to let me pursue medicine.
Now, going into the content of my question, does anyone know how the admission system in Germany medical schools work? What are the basic requirements that I need? I know that most schools there require students to use germany language, which is not a big problem for me because I am willing to learn. However, I remember my Humanities teacher (who's a German himself) mentioned how some med schools there are conducted in full english nowadays. Does anyone know which school is he referring to?

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

If you do not already speak German, I would strongly discourage you from getting into a German speaking medical school. It will take many, many years to become proficient enough to be able to study medicine efficiently in German.

Why not finish a bachelors degree and the pre-reqs, take the mcat and try for a US MD school?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi FutureOncologist, I am sorry I should've mentioned that I am not 100% sure about the Germany med school.. I was just wondering how the system works, and I would like to compare it with the admission system in my country's med schools (Indonesia). My family doctor told my mother that Germany is a good place to learn medicine, so I was just wondering :)

Hi Drcrispmd, I am sorry I forgot to actually mention that I am not a US resident... I am an intl student. I have tried to get as many information as I can about med schools here in the US, and I found out that the chance for me to get into a US med school is rather slim due to the fact that I am an international student. It's possible, but very unlikely... I was wondering about Germany because my family doctor told me about it.. I am having a little problem getting into the med schools in my own country because I did not finish my high school there (I graduated in the US, both HS and Associate Degree). Most Indonesian med schools require Indonesian students to complete their HS in Indonesia (it's a must.) This brings me into a very difficult position.. I don't even know If I should apply myself into the med schools as Indonesian or Foreigner :(
Thank you for the tips though! :)

These forums mainly deal with US schools (also to some extent, Canada), so most people here probably won't really know much about the admission process/requirements for a German medical school. I would suggest asking your question on the General International Discussion board. Best of luck!

^This. Also, if you graduated in the US and got a degree, would that have not required you to get a US residency? If you did, you wouldn't have the problem that int'l students have when applying to the US.

Hi FutureOncologist, I am sorry I should've mentioned that I am not 100% sure about the Germany med school.. I was just wondering how the system works, and I would like to compare it with the admission system in my country's med schools (Indonesia). My family doctor told my mother that Germany is a good place to learn medicine, so I was just wondering :)

Hi Drcrispmd, I am sorry I forgot to actually mention that I am not a US resident... I am an intl student. I have tried to get as many information as I can about med schools here in the US, and I found out that the chance for me to get into a US med school is rather slim due to the fact that I am an international student. It's possible, but very unlikely... I was wondering about Germany because my family doctor told me about it.. I am having a little problem getting into the med schools in my own country because I did not finish my high school there (I graduated in the US, both HS and Associate Degree). Most Indonesian med schools require Indonesian students to complete their HS in Indonesia (it's a must.) This brings me into a very difficult position.. I don't even know If I should apply myself into the med schools as Indonesian or Foreigner :(
Thank you for the tips though! :)

Do you have a green card? Germany is very difficult because you need to pass German language proficiency tests. If you can though, Germany I believe may even offer medical school for free or low tuition.

There are a lot of countries that offer English language programs: Poland, Italy, Hungary, Czech Republic, Hungary, China.

You can also consider the UK, Ireland and Australia.

Hi Mr.Zero, Thank you so much for your helpful tip! I am very new in this forum, that's why I did not really know where to post haha :)

Hi FutureOncologist, apparently even though I graduated here in the US, I am not entitled for a US Residency... at least that's what my school's advisor told me :|

Hi Medstart108, Thanks for your advice! I will keep that in mind :) and no, I do not have a green card. I'm a regular F-1 student.