Get info from a teacher in the summer for her Fall course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spirit of the Student Doc

Worrying will never change the outcome
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The reviews on her are brutal and it's a science course. I sent her an email asking for a syllabus and perhaps Practice Exams and slides from the prior semester she taught it. What's the best I can expect to come from this?

Members don't see this ad.

Why don't you just wait until she responds? Us speculating is not going to be useful.

I guess I'm worried what to do if she claims she can't give that information out and we start out on the wrong foot. I have no realistic choice but to take this specific class w/ her.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, she's involved in some research projects on campus and getting on her bad side will be very, very bad.

She seems like a reasonable lady, passionate about her work, but she's a researcher first and a teacher second (the school forces people like her into these spots, she's not really at fault here and is probably doing her best)

My best guess is the most you will get is a syllabus.
Giving you a head start wouldn't really be fair to the other students in the course.

My best guess is the most you will get is a syllabus.
Giving you a head start wouldn't really be fair to the other students in the course.

Yeah, I hope that's the worst case. She doesn't have a class site like the others do (Where the syllabus is usually located far in advance of the actual class).

I hope she's understanding though, why make me wait till day 1? If not, I hope she just brushes it off and doesn't jot me down as a troublemaker........ more than others I need to be on her good side.

If you don't have any other option than to take her class, why even sweat it?

Reactions: 1 user
also, I think its worth noting that reviews on ratemyprofessors don't mean much. all the professors I've had that have horrible reviews turn out to be my favorites and the classes I got the most out of. the reality is some people are lazy and/or stupid and take their inadequacies out on the professor on some anonymous website instead of actually doing what is expected from them and airing their grievances with the professor directly.

Reactions: 1 users
If I were an instructor and someone came to me with a request like yours, I would see them as a driven and dedicated person who is determined to do well. I would give you access to anything that the classes prior had. I wouldn't really be overly concerned about an "advantage" because those students have access to email, too. Just like seeing some students in office hours gives them an advantage, but their advantage is their initiative. But I would definitely understand if she said something along the lines of "I respect your initiative but in the interest of fairness I think it's best to wait until class starts. I promise you will have enough time with the information to prepare for any exams." I really couldn't see her coming away with a bad impression, unless I'm missing something. Volunteering to do work to try to prepare ahead doesn't strike me as corner cutting.

The reviews on her are brutal and it's a science course. I sent her an email asking for a syllabus and perhaps Practice Exams and slides from the prior semester she taught it. What's the best I can expect to come from this?

I tried this one in my dark deep past. It did not go well. Ended up not taking the class (but I didn't have to anyways).

also, I think its worth noting that reviews on ratemyprofessors don't mean much. all the professors I've had that have horrible reviews turn out to be my favorites and the classes I got the most out of. the reality is some people are lazy and/or stupid and take their inadequacies out on the professor on some anonymous website instead of actually doing what is expected from them and airing their grievances with the professor directly.

I've actually had that experience as well. Both ways though, one was a fanatic old man ending his days w/ tenure as he saw fit.... teaching intro Bio ranting about evolution and how we all exist to reproduce and die....... which was weird because he had class discussions over this, for a month, with some of the equally fanatic religious types in class.... Class participation was a large portion of the class so the "show" was mandatory.

The other 2 were just from a foreign country but two of the nicest professors I've ever had and I got an easy A in both.

Her reviews do say she cares and is passionate. 90% bad, ,but the few good reviews have me hoping. I guess I'll find out though;)

If I were an instructor and someone came to me with a request like yours, I would see them as a driven and dedicated person who is determined to do well. I would give you access to anything that the classes prior had. I wouldn't really be overly concerned about an "advantage" because those students have access to email, too. Just like seeing some students in office hours gives them an advantage, but their advantage is their initiative. But I would definitely understand if she said something along the lines of "I respect your initiative but in the interest of fairness I think it's best to wait until class starts. I promise you will have enough time with the information to prepare for any exams." I really couldn't see her coming away with a bad impression, unless I'm missing something. Volunteering to do work to try to prepare ahead doesn't strike me as corner cutting.

Yeah, this was my train of thought. According to the reviews I'll get my hands on them in August regardless. I have a brutal schedule, work FT at 2 jobs and 16 credits. So, I hope she cuts me some slack.

I just noted she has an intensive course and I have every intention of doing well. Then you know could you do me a favor and toss me a copy of your syllabus and a practice test for the first exam. Hoping she's as understanding as you :)

I tried this one in my dark deep past. It did not go well. Ended up not taking the class (but I didn't have to anyways).
Do tell
:corny:

I would not be this generous. This kind of try-hard attitude rubs some people, especially professors that put up with ambitious pre-meds all the time, the wrong way. Asking for the syllabus ahead of time is okay in my book, but asking for exam material is crossing a line.

Reactions: 2 users

Funny. If I were an instructor in this situation, I'd send an email back telling the student to stop being a try-hard and use the summer break for what it is, a BREAK.

I'm all for working your butt off when the time calls for it, but this time doesn't call for it.

If the teacher truly is a tough one, the most you'll get is a syllabus.

DISCLAIMER: I really dislike try-hards.

I hate to say it, but this attitude would rub me the wrong way a little bit too.

I do understand where you are coming from, two FT jobs and a full course load are a heavy burden and looking for any way to lighten it seems reasonable. Do you have to do all three?

Well, still no response (about 12 hours post email). I will state the exam material is stuff I'd have access to on the first day of class, so I don't think I'm crossing any major lines here......I dunno:shrug:

Guess I'll see what happens.:cool:

If I were a professor, I would not be sending materials to student I wasn't teaching, simply from a time management stand point.....

Ah, no response. I can either go see her in person or move on.....

Well, whatever I guess.

A) it's been less than 24 hours
B) seeing in her person after an email for extra study materials for the summer before will really rub her the wrong way and now she will remember who you are. At least she would probably forget the email
Move on

This is a whole new level of neurotic.

You do realize we're coming up on a holiday weekend, right? It's entirely possible this prof is on vacation/otherwise not in the office.

Regardless, it's probably best to let this go. You can start the class in the fall like the rest of your classmates.