Getting a job after residency as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Family Practice. It is THE hot commodity right now.
If it's the hot commodity, so I am wondering why there hasn't been a big increase in salary? From what I have seen, salary is still in the 150-200k range

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If it's the hot commodity, so I am wondering why there hasn't been a big increase in salary? From what I have seen salary is still in the 150-200k range

It is hot as you can virtually get a job at anywhere in US. Idk where you get that 150-200k range from. I'll use Merrit Hawkin, a recruiting firm, as it is just one small metric.
http://www.merritthawkins.com/job-search/job-search-results.aspx?k=family+medicine&regionId=-1
Lowest so far I saw is 180k in CA - wine county - while 300k range in OR, MS, AK, TX, IA, KS, IL, IN, GA, IN, NE, CA, and more.

The highest one I've seen so far - 465k in Northen California - http://www.merritthawkins.com/job-search/job-details.aspx?job=416738&contract=8923
Did I blow your mind,@W19?

Reactions: 1 users
If it's the hot commodity, so I am wondering why there hasn't been a big increase in salary? From what I have seen, salary is still in the 150-200k range

Medicine doesn't follow a simple supply-demand economic theory - there are too many confounders and outside variables. So while supermarkets can raise the prices of apples if demand for apples goes up (in the setting of shortage), PCPs can't raise their prices (except for cash paying patients). So you may be the only PCP within a 100 mile radius, and have a waitlist of 6 months ... but that new patient you are seeing for diabetes on medicaid ... you still bill it as a 99203 (new patient level 3 visit, 30 minutes) ... which in 2012 pays $63 average (ranges from $29-$164 depending on state)*. Doesn't matter if you charge $200, you will be reimbursed $63 for that visit. That $63 will need to pay for all the overhead cost and what's left over is your "profit/income". Hence why there is demand to see more patients per hour. Seeing 1-2 patients/hr (and billing as new patient level 3) simply is not sustainable for a practice. Hence why the push to see 3-5 patients/hr. So while you may be in demand, you don't really control your prices if you are doing cognitive services. For amount of time spent, procedures are paid more. Doing an upper endoscopy with biopsy under the same fee schedule* will get you $228 on average (range $19-$520)

Removal of a wart in the office will usually reimburse higher than seeing a new patient. And removal of wart is a lot faster than seeing a new level 3 patient.

There are other factors involved as well ... but this is one reason why you're not seeing salary take off for PCP despite demands (under the ACA/Obamacare, reimbursement for PCP for medicaid was suppose to match Medicare level for 2 years before reverting back to pre-ACA levels ... Congress declined to extend it ... so you may see PCP's salary survey go up for the next couple years but it will be interesting to see if that trend is sustainable)

*source: Kaiser Commission on Medicaid and the Uninsured: How Much Will Medicaid Physician Fees for Primary Care Rise in 2013? Evidence from a 2012 Survey of Medicaid Physician Fees. Executive Summary. Published Dec 2012.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The biggest form of discrimination doesn't come in the form of employment...it comes in the form of matching to residency. MD's clearly have a significant advantage when matching to a number residencies.

But residency credentials are significantly more important than the med school you went to. Going to Harvard for residency is going to be significantly more marketable than going to Harvard for med school.

I am sure that there are some employers who do discriminate...and from what I hear most of them are either in Colorado or the west coast, or select academic hospitals throughout the country. But if you are physician...there will be work for you...you just may not be able to be as picky in regards to location.

I'm just curious why you single out Colorado? I know University of Colorado isn't real DO friendly for residency but does this extent to hiring for post residency in non-CU affiliated practices and hospitals?

I'm just curious why you single out Colorado? I know University of Colorado isn't real DO friendly for residency but does this extent to hiring for post residency in non-CU affiliated practices and hospitals?

No, outside of CU, everywhere else is friendly to DO - Sky Ridge, Saint Joseph, Kaiser, private clinics, other public hospitals, etc. The reason I think that ppl view Colorado isn't friendly to DO b/c of CU. They have the biggest affiliation sites in CO range from Denver to Aurora to Boulder to Colorado Spring. You get the idea.

I personally haven't seen a base salary under 180K. Most anymore are 220K. Not sure where you are getting your numbers from because I get 10 jobs a day across my email in various settings from very rural to city and really the ONLY place I have seen 150K or lower is Denver as that is a saturated market.

No, outside of CU, everywhere else is friendly to DO - Sky Ridge, Saint Joseph, Kaiser, private clinics, other public hospitals, etc. The reason I think that ppl view Colorado isn't friendly to DO b/c of CU. They have the biggest affiliation sites in CO range from Denver to Aurora to Boulder to Colorado Spring. You get the idea.
I second this. The ONLY time I was denied a job interview was in Denver area. I was told straight up that I would not be interviewed for the job because I was a DO. Sad thing is that it was the same hospital group that trained me in residency in a different state!!

I second this. The ONLY time I was denied a job interview was in Denver area. I was told straight up that I would not be interviewed for the job because I was a DO. Sad thing is that it was the same hospital group that trained me in residency in a different state!!

Obviously you're doing just fine, so you're not the one hurt by their ignorance, they are. But these kind of stories still make my blood boil.

Places like that should be named and publicized so DOs can avoid sending them referrals and consults, as a matter of principles.

It is hot as you can virtually get a job at anywhere in US. Idk where you get that 150-200k range from. I'll use Merrit Hawkin, a recruiting firm, as it is just one small metric.
http://www.merritthawkins.com/job-search/job-search-results.aspx?k=family+medicine&regionId=-1
Lowest so far I saw is 180k in CA - wine county - while 300k range in OR, MS, AK, TX, IA, KS, IL, IN, GA, IN, NE, CA, and more.

The highest one I've seen so far - 465k in Northen California - http://www.merritthawkins.com/job-search/job-details.aspx?job=416738&contract=8923
Did I blow your mind,@W19?
Merit Hawkins uses total compensation, which usually includes 60k of benefits, and their estimates are done based largely on difficult to fill positions. Medscape is a better estimate of actual take-home salary, and pegs it at roughly 200k overall.

@Mad Jack
If there are other groups in that region that provide the same service, I think physicians should use these other groups. Physicians should not stay silent and let **** like that to go on... I will be a MD and I will not use a group that discriminate against DO if I know my patients can get the same service elsewhere...

Last edited:
@Mad Jack
If there are other groups in that region that provide the same service, I think physicians should use these other groups. Physicians should not stay silent and let **** like that to go on... I will be a MD and I will not use a group that discriminate against DO if I know my patients can get the same service elsewhere...

I agree. This isn't the 60s or 70s anymore. These old fashion groups will eventually die out as the younger generation docs are taking over.

Reactions: 1 users
Places like that should be named and publicized so DOs can avoid sending them referrals and consults, as a matter of principles.
You have expressed this idiotic notion in two threads now. I hope there isn't a third.

Your job prospects are almost entirely dependent on your residency- what your specialty is and whether you are board certified. To a lesser degree it's based on the prestige of your residency, your number of certain procedures during residency and who you know to get you the job. Very little if any is based on your initials.