Getting a job as an RN; Advice Need it..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MexicanDr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys; hope you guys are having a good day.

The main reason for this post is because I am seeking advice on how to increase my chance at getting hired as an RN once I am done with my program.

I will be done with my program this coming December [ASN/ADN] and will be only 2 classes away in December from completing my double major B.S. in Public Health and Physiological Sciences. I didn't have nursing as a plan when I started undergrad; it just happened and since I was already pretty ahead in my B.S. I decided to do the 2 year RN degree. I ll be done this December with my RN and planning to finish my B.S. double major by the next semester [Be done in May 2013]. Currently I work doing quality assurance simply because it pays better and need it to pay bills; but I am planning to start applying for a job in a hospital in June.

Before working in Quality Assurance/Microbiology I worked as an EMT-1 and did close to 2000 hrs in an ALS rig; and also have volunteered in a free clinic off/on for the past 6 months. I am also planning to take ACLS cert before I am done with the program.

As some of you know, the nursing job market is incredibly hard, especially for new graduates, so even though I am done in December, I am feeling somewhat desperate already. My plans after working 2 years as an RN is to start either PA or NP school. I live in Central California and in a ~55 miles radius there is 15-16 hospitals, including a Trauma I, a Trauma II and a Trauma III center. I am trilingual: Spanish, Portuguese and English; I am a male; if that makes a difference nowadays.

What do you think would be the best route to take in terms for getting a job by when I am done with my RN program; hopefully before I am done with it and use my Temp-License for the 90 day frame while completing NCLEX and waiting for all the license.

Thanks in advance and as I said; I am open to any advice..

Eddie

Members don't see this ad.

I don't really know what you mean by best route. I do think, depending upon your community, that your language skills could be a huge asset to you so I'd be sure that is on your resume. that is going to be far more valuable and uncommon a skill set than having been an EMT-I in my opinion.

I had to hire a nurse (LPN) when I started my new job and I was desperate to find someone that spoke Spanish fluently, because mine is rudimentary at best. S/he never materialized, unfortunately. If I had found a Spanish speaker I'd have paid twice as much and wouldn't have cared if they believed in aliens, had two heads and a serious meth problem, lol (and I've only had one non English speaking patient -and he spoke Thai!). j/k about the meth, but yeah, I'd have been totally flexible on an alien conspiracy to take over the world.

good luck!

With that many hospitals, just apply broadly and be flexible. You might not get into an ICU or CVICU right off the bat as a new grad. Although, if you plan on doing NP I would suggest you get to one of those places sooner rather than later.

Be nice, smile, dress well. You should land on your feet.