getting a LOR from a professor from outside college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jillzhou

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After taking Physics 2 in the summer at a different college, (about 2 years ago) I feel the professor would be able to write me a good rec considering I scored an A after visiting his office hours and asking him countless questions. The guy is a genius, and very down to earth nice guy. My question is..is it too late to contact this professor? The school I currently go to is known to have not so good recs from professors/pre-health committee..have any of you done this before?

Members don't see this ad.

Absolutely. If the professor has previously taught you in a course then he is certainly qualified to write you a letter of rec, regardless of whether he teaches at your current institution or not.

It is a little late if you're talking about getting a LoR for this application cycle. You typically want to give the professor a good few month notice.

If you're asking whether 2 years is too long, then not really. If you think he still remembers you, get into contact. Sooner rather than later.