Getting a transcript for PTCAS application and supplemental apps

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdaniels360

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright people, i've heard multiple things regarding gathering transcripts for your application. I'll be applying this summer when the app opens in July. I have two pre-reqs (stats and physics 2) that i'll be completing this summer. I've been advised by multiple people to "get my transcripts" together now so i have them for when the app opens.

1. Does this mean i should just print unofficial transcripts that i can get from my schools website and have them handy when i'm entering grades in PTCAS?

OR

2. Are they suggesting i should formally request an official current transcript when this semester is up, and then physically mail one to each school i'm applying to? (I'm assuming i'll have to do this eventually just not sure if it's something i should be doing proactively right now).

3. What else should i be "getting together now", before the app opens? I'm shadowing currently and have one PT who has agreed to write an LOR for me and another PT that i'll ask soon since multiple schools i'm applying to require two PT LOR's. I also have my GRE lined up for June and am currently studying for that too.

Sorry for straying off topic a little bit. I'm still trying to figure out how all this works, any clarification would be greatly appreciated and i'm sure many folks who are applying this coming cycle have similar questions.

Joe :D

Members don't see this ad.

Great questions! I would like to know these too sine I will be applying this coming up cycle as well :D

You can't formally request the transcripts for PTCAS yet. When you enter in your undergrad institutions into the PTCAS application it will give you a specific form to fill out for that school to send with your transcripts when you request them. An unofficial transcript would make entering the grades easier but it'll prob only shave off 20-30 min compared to just looking up yor grades online. A lot of schools do not require you to send in official transcripts until you've been accepted. If they do require transcripts for the supplemental app, a copy am pasted unofficial transcript is usually all you need.

As far as what you can do early:
PTCAS usually gives the essay question early ad you can start that and get it revised and reviewed so that you have that done. Also getting your LORs requested. Try can't submit anything until you send them an official request from PTCAS but it'll cut your waiting time. Also look up which schools you will be applying to and see if they have supplemental applications for the programs. You could probably get some of those done or at least look at them to see what essays those will require and have those ready. In my opinion, the supplemental questions and apps were the most time consuming. Have fun ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you should print off unofficial transcripts from every school you attended and have those ready to enter into PTCAS, as each course has to be listed individually under each school along with the grade you received in that course.

You will request official transcripts from your school/s that will be sent directly to PTCAS. PTCAS won't accept these transcripts until the next cycle opens so I don't see any point in doing that now. They must be official and they must come directly from your school to PTCAS, not from your school to you to PTCAS. Just be aware of this, and make sure you don't have any holds on your account that would prevent your transcript from being released when you need it. If you're applying to a non-PTCAS school, then I imagine you would request an official transcript to be sent to that school. I didn't apply to non-PTCAS schools so I'm not familiar with their processes.

As far as other things - getting observation hours in a variety of settings is important. Start working on your personal statement so you have time to revise and perfect it. I personally set up a spreadsheet with every school that I was applying to listed with each requirement they have. Some schools have supplemental applications that they require with different deadlines and statements, so having all the information I needed to know in one place so I could devise my own timeline/not miss a deadline was very helpful to me.

If you live near schools that you are planning to apply to, call/email to make an appointment to take a tour, talk to an advisor, etc so you have a better feel for the school. I found this to be helpful.

Lastly, start budgeting (both money and time-wise) for the application and interview process. It gets expensive, between PTCAS, transcripts, supplemental application fees, etc. Then once the interview process begins, you will need to book flights/hotels/rental cars. Be strategic about it and work hard over the summer to save up money. It is also intensive time-wise, make a timeline and stick to it. Even though some schools have rolling admissions, I agree with what everyone has said, apply early. You will be so glad you worked hard over the summer and into the early fall when you start getting interviews and acceptances early.

I know this is long, but I wish I had been more knowledgable before going into the process. It's long, tedious (especially if you apply early and broadly), but so worth it!

I feel like I've answered this question from you before lol but anywho...

1) You need to send an official transcript to PTCAS so that they can verify your grades that you submit on the ptcas application. It doesn't matter if you haven't graduated yet or anything, they need it. You put what classes you are scheduled to be in during the upcoming semester. Near the end of the fall semester you will start getting emails about academic updates from PTCAS. This is when you send another official transcript to PTCAS (NOT SCHOOLS!!) to verify your fall grades. Once you get accepted to pt school, you will need to send your final transcript (after graduation) directly to the school you are going to, NOT PTCAS.

2) Just let your LOR people know what to expect and tell them the cycle opens in July. Not much else you can do. The prompt should be coming out in just a little while, so you can get a head start on writing that when it comes to surface.

I feel like I've answered this question from you before lol but anywho...

1) You need to send an official transcript to PTCAS so that they can verify your grades that you submit on the ptcas application. It doesn't matter if you haven't graduated yet or anything, they need it. You put what classes you are scheduled to be in during the upcoming semester. Near the end of the fall semester you will start getting emails about academic updates from PTCAS. This is when you send another official transcript to PTCAS (NOT SCHOOLS!!) to verify your fall grades. Once you get accepted to pt school, you will need to send your final transcript (after graduation) directly to the school you are going to, NOT PTCAS.

2) Just let your LOR people know what to expect and tell them the cycle opens in July. Not much else you can do. The prompt should be coming out in just a little while, so you can get a head start on writing that when it comes to surface.

Nicole you are a information BEAST!! I feel like you comment good info on every post. Thank you
What's the deal with the paper we print out with specific to the schools we went to? Do we have to physically take then to the registrar and give them the instructions on how it needs to be sent?

Nicole you are a information BEAST!! I feel like you comment good info on every post. Thank you
What's the deal with the paper we print out with specific to the schools we went to? Do we have to physically take then to the registrar and give them the instructions on how it needs to be sent?

Haha no problem, I was stressed last app cycle so if I have the information I like to pass it along :) But I think you are talking about the paper you print out to take your registrar when you are ready to request transcripts. The way it worked with my school was we had to fill out a separate form at the registrar's and I put ptcas's address and all that jazz and I handed in that paper and the one I printed out. That's all they need they will send the transcript to ptcas.

As others have said, you won't be able to request official transcripts until after the PTCAS application opens and you enter all your coursework. Then PTCAS will give you a form that needs to be sent along with your official transcript. However, you might want to have a set of unofficial transcripts so that you are ready to enter your classes as soon as PTCAS opens in July.

Last year, my LOR writers wrote my letters in the spring and saved them, and then entered them into the form in July when PTCAS opened. They thought it would be easier to write the letters at that time, while we were interacting every day, rather than wait until months after the semester ended. This worked out very well, and my letter-writers were able to finish my letters really fast once PTCAS opened. Some other folks on this board posted about how stressful it was to have to wait for the letter-writers to submit the letters, so I think asking them to write it in advance could really help.

Also, last year before we knew what the essay prompt would be, I was already brainstorming about what main ideas I wanted to include in my essay. If you already have a sense of what you want to make sure schools know about you, you can fit that into whatever the essay prompt is.

If you are taking summer courses, you might want to wait until those courses are completed before submitting to PTCAS, so that those grades get counted in your GPA right away. You would still be submitting in August, which is early. Last year I submitted my PTCAS in late August, and it took only three days to process (after they found a transcript which they had lost). You still can request all the transcripts, get your LORs, and get your hours confirmed in July, so that is all finished by the time you submit.

Yikes... this is a lot of info but it all seems to be incredibly helpful! So i'm currently sat in bed with my leg propped up after getting knee surgery today to fix medial and lateral meniscus tears in my left knee. Looks like i have plenty of time to put together a well thought out response, so here goes...

1. Cali122, you said PTCAS usually gives you the essay question early, any idea when? Also, would some schools have their supplemental apps open now? Haven't found anything yet as far as that goes.

2. rnrgrl, i'm assuming our registrar here would know how all this works as far as sending transcripts directly to PTCAS goes (since we have a PT school at my current institution)? I was kind of hoping that all these directions will be in PTCAS when i open it up, but by the sounds of it things are far more complicated than they seem/should be. You also said to start working on my personal statement, but as i've discussed with nicole previously, this is a little tricky to do since the prompt hasn't been released yet. On the flip-side, as okramango said, i could be brainstorming (which i have been) main ideas that i'd like to include as far as what i want schools to know about me.

3. Nicole, i had no idea about printing this 'paper' to take to our registrar to request transcripts, but i'm glad i know now, so thanks for that! :D However, i'm sure there's a good chance my school will also have a separate form to fill out (as always right, something extra!)

4. Okramango, i will be taking 12 hours of class this summer, 8 of which will be pre-reqs, including statistics and physics 2. Physics 2 will likely do damage to my overall GPA rather than increase it. So would you recommend submitting after the first summer session rather than the second (where i take physics 2)? Then just add that to the academic update after fall semester perhaps?

5. Last question, do any of you guys know about application fee wavers? I've been told that i would have to pay the one time fee of$135 for PTCAS or whatever it is, but could get each individual school fee waved ($35 etc). This obviously sounds like its at the discretion of the school, but from what i understand, if you can provide certain financial information you can get these fees waved and save some money, If these facts are correct then this comment is more of an "awareness" fact for others on this forum rather than a question. I hope i'm right but i could be wrong.

Anyways, anyone with info on any of the above should feel free to comment on some or all questions!:D

Joe

Yikes... this is a lot of info but it all seems to be incredibly helpful! So i'm currently sat in bed with my leg propped up after getting knee surgery today to fix medial and lateral meniscus tears in my left knee. Looks like i have plenty of time to put together a well thought out response, so here goes...

1. Cali122, you said PTCAS usually gives you the essay question early, any idea when? Also, would some schools have their supplemental apps open now? Haven't found anything yet as far as that goes.

2. rnrgrl, i'm assuming our registrar here would know how all this works as far as sending transcripts directly to PTCAS goes (since we have a PT school at my current institution)? I was kind of hoping that all these directions will be in PTCAS when i open it up, but by the sounds of it things are far more complicated than they seem/should be. You also said to start working on my personal statement, but as i've discussed with nicole previously, this is a little tricky to do since the prompt hasn't been released yet. On the flip-side, as okramango said, i could be brainstorming (which i have been) main ideas that i'd like to include as far as what i want schools to know about me.

3. Nicole, i had no idea about printing this 'paper' to take to our registrar to request transcripts, but i'm glad i know now, so thanks for that! :D However, i'm sure there's a good chance my school will also have a separate form to fill out (as always right, something extra!)

4. Okramango, i will be taking 12 hours of class this summer, 8 of which will be pre-reqs, including statistics and physics 2. Physics 2 will likely do damage to my overall GPA rather than increase it. So would you recommend submitting after the first summer session rather than the second (where i take physics 2)? Then just add that to the academic update after fall semester perhaps?

5. Last question, do any of you guys know about application fee wavers? I've been told that i would have to pay the one time fee of$135 for PTCAS or whatever it is, but could get each individual school fee waved ($35 etc). This obviously sounds like its at the discretion of the school, but from what i understand, if you can provide certain financial information you can get these fees waved and save some money, If these facts are correct then this comment is more of an "awareness" fact for others on this forum rather than a question. I hope i'm right but i could be wrong.

Anyways, anyone with info on any of the above should feel free to comment on some or all questions!:D

Joe

I'm going to answer as many of these as I can because I also have too much time on my hands :p

1)I don't remember the exact date, but I do remember having at least a solid month to work on it, maybe more.

2) When you open ptcas, they do have a directions page for all the sections. They also have a facebook page which is actually pretty helpful for random questions.

3) that page I'm referring to will be specific to you, because it will have your ptcas id on it. It asks you a few questions, like if this is your first time sending a transcript or if it's an academic update. Like I said earlier, your school will probably have another form to fill out, but the process should be rather harmless.

4)It doesn't matter if you submit it before or after, the school will still see your grade. It's always best to submit everything asap. Some schools don't offer interviews until academic updates are in anyways, so might as well get it over with. If you apply to a rolling admissions school, you will still need at least a C on the academic update.

5) I got an application fee waiver. I believe I had to send in tax information to ptcas. The 135 fee is waived and any school you apply to after is 35.

So i had the order backwards as far as fee waivers go? So i'll have to pay $35 for each school for PTCAS fees then whatever fee the school i'm applying to charges? Or is this the same fee? I feel like they are two separate fees, but again, i hope i'm wrong.

Thanks again for all the info, keep it coming!

So i had the order backwards as far as fee waivers go? So i'll have to pay $35 for each school for PTCAS fees then whatever fee the school i'm applying to charges? Or is this the same fee? I feel like they are two separate fees, but again, i hope i'm wrong.

Thanks again for all the info, keep it coming!

This is from the PTCAS website:
"A limited number of PTCAS application fee waivers are available. Waivers are granted to financially disadvantaged applicants on a first-come, first-serve basis. PTCAS will decide if you qualify for a fee waiver based on your income, or your parent's income if you are claimed as a dependent, as reported on the most recent Federal Income Tax Return. No other documentation is accepted. If you receive a fee waiver, you may apply to one PTCAS program for free. If you receive a waiver and choose to apply to more than one PTCAS program, you will be responsible for the incremental fee of $35 for each additional designation."

https://portal.ptcas.org/applicants2013/faq/ptcas_fee-waivers.shtml

Joe

1. Try asking PTCAS on their facebook page when the essay prompt will be released. They're really good about responding to questions there.

2. You send transcripts to PTCAS the same way you send transcripts anywhere else - by filling out a transcript request form. The PTCAS form says where the transcript should be sent. On your transcript request, make a note that they should include the enclosed form with the transcript (the one PTCAS gives you after you enter all your coursework). I did all of this by mail, because I don't live near the schools I went to. I just filled out their regular transcript request form and requested that they include the attached form. It was no problem.

Here are the transcript instructions from last year:
http://www.ptcas.org/Transcripts/USTranscripts/

3. See #2

4. Lots of schools make decisions before the December academic update, so it could be to your advantage to submit PTCAS before your physics grade comes out, if you think the grade will bring down your GPA. That way, the grade won't show up on your application until the academic update. But you should go into the class with the mindset that you'll do really well, and maybe it will bring up your GPA!

5. See my previous post. If you search PTCAS's website, you'll find the answers to a lot of your questions. They have lists and lists of FAQs.

Last edited:
Why you can't just have then sent electronically is strange

Why you can't just have then sent electronically is strange

I think it's mainly because you have to give them the hard copy of the form PTCAS gives you to include with the transcript. Maybe some schools would accept an electronic copy of it, but mine didn't.