Getting accepted to medical school does not define you.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

da8s0859q

Funny thing happened after I got my surprisingly poor 25R MCAT results back from my May administration: I realized that I am not defined by my capability to gain admittance to an MD program. I mean, it's important to me, and despite cumulative and science GPAs each being around a 3.9, I know that the MCAT greatly complicates things. I hope that the rest of my application helps balance that here in Texas. I still hope for some lovin' in the form of interviews from the several Texas MD schools to which I am applying. As for the MCAT thing, call it a defense mechanism to ward off not feeling so bad about that questionably useful score, if you'd like; you'd probably be right. Hell, I have a degree in psych, and I'd agree with you. You're probably right.

But so am I. ;)

One thing that SDN tends to foster is a certain neuroticism about getting into medical school. We've got tons of interview feedback, massive medically-themed forums, and hordes of freshmen and sophomores who are damn near petrified that they're not going to make it because they, in fact, have never even held an African baby, much less save its life. Or they're not spending more than 10 hours a week being a fly on the emergency department's wall. And then there are the people who take it upon themselves to insist that others, based on one aspect of their application, will not make it into a national MD program. (Yeah, I got a few of those.)

This is a wonderfully helpful website, but I think a little perspective would go a long way for a lot of us. In the long run, happiness probably won't be governed solely by the presence of "MD" or "DO" after our names. It's a means to an end, not the end itself. It's a job. It's a cool job, to be sure, but it's a job nonetheless.

Moral of the story: don't be so absorbed in the "dance". Lots of people who don't even know what SDN is end up applying, do perfectly average on their MCAT, have a perfectly average GPA, and make it in without much stressing. They go about their lives and are pleasantly surprised to see those interview emails/letters show up in their mailboxes, and later, are even more pleasantly surprised to receive acceptances.

So be hopeful, but hey, memento vivere.

Members don't see this ad.

I think batman puts it best.

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do, that defines you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Moral of the story: don't be so absorbed in the "dance". Lots of people who don't even know what SDN is end up applying, do perfectly average on their MCAT, have a perfectly average GPA, and make it in without much stressing. They go about their lives and are pleasantly surprised to see those interview emails/letters show up in their mailboxes, and later, are even more pleasantly surprised to receive acceptances.

This is absolutely true. However, if you check SDN regularly you will inevitably be absorbed into the dance. You'll see threads about schools that you're applying to, find out if they're interviewing yet, seeing who they interview, checking their MDapps profiles to see why they got an interview and you didn't, wondering what people are writing in their secondaries... it can make you go pretty nuts from what I've seen :laugh:

This is why I do not have an MDapps. Medical school is central to my life at this point in time but it certainly is not the be all and end all of what and who I am.

Get ready for the flamer's to come out of the woodwork.

you rock exi, though i liked your last avatar better. way to keep your head up, while trying to remind us to do the same. SDN can skew things for sure...and, if i turn around and look out my window i do notice there is a real world out there--thanks for the heads up.

:)

Unfortunately ignorance is certainly bliss in almost all cases. I often have wished I could walk around mindlessly unaware as most of the human population seems to do. Then again I seek knowledge and truth so this is a foolish wish as it would not lead to my happiness. Anyhow, you are right, a degree does not define you nor does it make your life. It is nice when things work out the way that you had hoped, but regardless we will all be fine in the end, med school or no med school. There is a whole big world out there with many paths and opportunities. I can only hope for our sake that we all end up on the path that leads us to the greatest happiness.

Unfortunately ignorance is certainly bliss in almost all cases. I often have wished I could walk around mindlessly unaware as most of the human population seems to do. Then again I seek knowledge and truth so this is a foolish wish as it would not lead to my happiness. Anyhow, you are right, a degree does not define you nor does it make your life. It is nice when things work out the way that you had hoped, but regardless we will all be fine in the end, med school or no med school. There is a whole big world out there with many paths and opportunities. I can only hope for our sake that we all end up on the path that leads us to the greatest happiness.

Amen Redrumi!

Sometimes I wish I didn't know about SDN because then I would not be as obsessive and paranoid, but you know it's better to know that there are other people around like you.

This is absolutely true. However, if you check SDN regularly you will inevitably be absorbed into the dance. You'll see threads about schools that you're applying to, find out if they're interviewing yet, seeing who they interview, checking their MDapps profiles to see why they got an interview and you didn't, wondering what people are writing in their secondaries... it can make you go pretty nuts from what I've seen :laugh:
I'm so happy I didn't find this site until a few months ago, when I started my AMCAS. And it saddens me to see the high schoolers on here as I project the extent of their neuroses by the time senior year rolls around. No one has the fortitude to endure SDN through four years of premed and emerge unscathed. No one.

The way I see it, if I were to freak out now before med school, what energy could possibly be left to freak out in med school.:laugh:

It's good not to be too Type-A!

Funny thing happened after I got my surprisingly poor 25R MCAT results back from my May administration: I realized that I am not defined by my capability to gain admittance to an MD program. I mean, it's important to me, and despite cumulative and science GPAs each being around a 3.9, I know that the MCAT greatly complicates things. I hope that the rest of my application helps balance that here in Texas. I still hope for some lovin' in the form of interviews from the several Texas MD schools to which I am applying. As for the MCAT thing, call it a defense mechanism to ward off not feeling so bad about that questionably useful score, if you'd like; you'd probably be right. Hell, I have a degree in psych, and I'd agree with you. You're probably right.

But so am I. ;)

One thing that SDN tends to foster is a certain neuroticism about getting into medical school. We've got tons of interview feedback, massive medically-themed forums, and hordes of freshmen and sophomores who are damn near petrified that they're not going to make it because they, in fact, have never even held an African baby, much less save its life. Or they're not spending more than 10 hours a week being a fly on the emergency department's wall. And then there are the people who take it upon themselves to insist that others, based on one aspect of their application, will not make it into a national MD program. (Yeah, I got a few of those.)

This is a wonderfully helpful website, but I think a little perspective would go a long way for a lot of us. In the long run, happiness probably won't be governed solely by the presence of "MD" or "DO" after our names. It's a means to an end, not the end itself. It's a job. It's a cool job, to be sure, but it's a job nonetheless.

You're 100% correct; however, for those who know that they want to be doctors, there's always a means. You may not get into Stanford, accepted to an allopathic program, or even accepted into a stateside program; but with the plethora of possiblities to obtain licensure, the truly dedicated will have a means to practice medicine.

To the OP, I encourage you to retake the MCAT. Given your GPA, I'm sure you've got the potential to do much better (and make yourself a very competitive applicant). Best of luck.

getting accepted doesnt define you....nor does being rejected. Best of luck with whatever the future brings you:thumbup:

SDN is good preparation for the neurotic people you will meet in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
SDN is good preparation for the neurotic people you will meet in med school.
:laugh: I wonder if SDN has a higher concentration of neurotic people than an actual med school class

OP, well said.

To all the other people out there who are worried about their MCAT, GPA, or EC's: don't let this place shake your confidence. If you want to be a doc, and you think you've got what it takes, then don't let anyone make you feel otherwise. The best doctor I know was rejected 3 times before she was accepted into medical school. She has gone on to teach medicine at Stanford, and is currently a faculty member of a residency program in my state. She has taught me that numbers aren't everything, it's what you do on a daily basis with your patients that makes a difference.

I'm so happy I didn't find this site until a few months ago, when I started my AMCAS. And it saddens me to see the high schoolers on here as I project the extent of their neuroses by the time senior year rolls around. No one has the fortitude to endure SDN through four years of premed and emerge unscathed. No one.

To be honest, I do not think I would have been as motivated to do well had I not found this website.

Ever heard of the fox and the sour grapes story? OP your post kind of reminds me of that. Maybe you genuinely feel so but I think your outlook would be different if you had gotten say a 35T on the MCAT instead.

IMO... the decisions you make in life, your career choice being #1 on the list, do in fact define who you are.

Why not get caught up in the dance either? I think it would be safe to assume that most of the people on the forum are on here because they take that same approach to everything in life. Worry about how to do something far in advance before you actually have to do it, look it up on the internet and research it as much as possible, and be excessively paranoid about the given situation until it's finally over.

I don't think it's inherently bad to choose to think and act a certain way. By saying something like this should be taken a little more lightly implies that there is a proper way to approach life. To each his own, if a kid chooses to be neurotic about his or her pre-medical approach it is no more or less bad than one who doesn't. In the end, they will both possibly be doctors, and who really cares how you spend your time getting to that point.

Ever heard of the fox and the sour grapes story? OP your post kind of reminds me of that. Maybe you genuinely feel so but I think your outlook would be different if you had gotten say a 35T on the MCAT instead.

IMO... the decisions you make in life, your career choice being #1 on the list, do in fact define who you are.

Why not get caught up in the dance either? I think it would be safe to assume that most of the people on the forum are on here because they take that same approach to everything in life. Worry about how to do something far in advance before you actually have to do it, look it up on the internet and research it as much as possible, and be excessively paranoid about the given situation until it's finally over.

I don't think it's inherently bad to choose to think and act a certain way. By saying something like this should be taken a little more lightly implies that there is a proper way to approach life. To each his own, if a kid chooses to be neurotic about his or her pre-medical approach it is no more or less bad than one who doesn't. In the end, they will both possibly be doctors, and who really cares how you spend your time getting to that point.

Psst...she's venting. She's not deliberately trying to attack you.

But so am I. ;)

Thanks man. Totally agree with you. THe other day I was watching some 9/11 memorial videos on youtube .. and it really hit me that any of us can be gone anytime. Why stress out so damn much?! I watched this one 911 emergency call from someone in the towers... and the video ended up him going, "OOOOOOOOH SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHIII.... " and the tower came crashing down. These were successful people with families. These types of things make me cherish life even more.

Instead of stressing out over apps, spend time with family, play with your dog, watch a movie with your girlfriend without stressing out over how you missed a day of writing secondary essays, eat chocolate chip cookie dough without worrying about increasing your bodyfat levels and affecting gains in the gym. That's what I plan to do for the rest of my summer.

In the long run, happiness probably won't be governed solely by the presence of "MD" or "DO" after our names. It's a means to an end, not the end itself. It's a job. It's a cool job, to be sure, but it's a job nonetheless.

You, sir, are correct in saying that the eye chart following your name should not govern one's happiness.

However, thinking that 'a job is just a job' is something I completely disagree with. Whether you like it or not, your job is a large part of what defines you. Your job and the pride you take in your work will dictate your demeanor and how you perceive yourself. Between working hours, prep, and your commute, you'll spend more than half of your conscious day dealing with your job. I'm a former engineer who is now going to medical school. One of the reasons I left a 6-figure salary to pursue a dream I've had since I was in high school was because - after a year in academic research and 4 years of life at a private corporation - I couldn't face the emptiness that awaited me at work each and every day. Have you ever been en route to work and hoped to get stuck in a traffic jam? Have you ever been at work and care about absolutely nothing you were doing because you found it so unfulfilling? I have. So, for me, I can't just say, "It's a job." If you want to live your life this way, I hope you stumble into a field you really like, or you have an amazing after-work life.

But so am I. ;)

OP,

I think you will do great whether you get in this year or not. Your post is filled with the type of optimism I'd expect from someone who will more often than not land on two feet.

Actually, given that my post was largely inspired by a conversation or two with a couple of people I've gotten to know this summer, a 35T, while wonderful, would just make me more assured of an acceptance. That's all. To that end, I am very much considering an August retake in time for this cycle since I am complete at most of my schools.

And yeah, nobody but us cares how we get to a certain point. But "right" and "wrong" do sometimes exist. If two people go on to be docs, and one of them did so with much more peace of mind, then who's to say that he didn't, in fact, do it in the better way? I've known several type-A people who admitted to the fact that they were/are the poster children of "much ado about nothing," all wasted energy that could have been better spent on much more important things in life than worrying about something that, beyond a certain point, you cannot do anything to help. Worry can be a great motivator, but after you submit your TMDSAS/AMCAS to your researched and chosen schools, their secondaries, and the rest, worrying accomplishes absolutely nothing. Not a damn thing.

I, for one, will never want to go back in time and worry some more. I just might want to go back in time and do more of what really mattered.

However, thinking that 'a job is just a job' is something I completely disagree with. Whether you like it or not, your job is a large part of what defines you. Your job and the pride you take in your work will dictate your demeanor and how you perceive yourself.

Oh, don't get me wrong, jobs are big deals. And I agree that taking pride in what you do is an equally big deal. I'm just saying that there's much more to the story.

:( I guess my retaliation wasn't witty enough as yours to deserve a response. I was kidding :D

Actually, given that my post was largely inspired by a conversation or two with a couple of people I've gotten to know this summer, a 35T, while wonderful, would just make me more assured of an acceptance. That's all. To that end, I am very much considering an August retake in time for this cycle since I am complete at most of my schools.

And yeah, nobody but us cares how we get to a certain point. But "right" and "wrong" do sometimes exist. If two people go on to be docs, and one of them did so with much more peace of mind, then who's to say that he didn't, in fact, do it in the better way? I've known several type-A people who admitted to the fact that they were/are the poster children of "much ado about nothing," all wasted energy that could have been better spent on much more important things in life than worrying about something that, beyond a certain point, you cannot do anything to help. Worry can be a great motivator, but after you submit your TMDSAS/AMCAS to your researched and chosen schools, their secondaries, and the rest, worrying accomplishes absolutely nothing. Not a damn thing.

I, for one, will never want to go back in time and worry some more. I just might want to go back in time and do more of what really mattered.

I wasn't necessarily arguing because I don't agree, just voicing my opinion a little. As far as the way in which a person acts on their path getting into med school, you're correct in saying "Who in fact is to say what is the right or wrong way to get there?" However, that question can be used in two ways... in your case you're saying, why should one desire to go about this process like a type A personality when there are plenty of people that go about it like a type B personality with half the effort. But I could easily say who is to say that a type B personality is going about things the best way. This is one of the most important processes that many of the people that apply will ever go through in their lives. They rightfully have the right to be wound up while going through it. As long as you know that you don't want to experience the application process like that then you should do your best to live genuinely to your desires so that you're comfortable during this time. But what is best for one is not necessarily best for all. I think there are plenty of people that, if not in a constant state of anxiety, would not get into medical school because they lose that motivation they get by being in that state. Maybe it seems dumb.. I dunno.

Good luck if you choose to retake. With that 3.9 g.p.a. I'm sure you have what it takes to improve that score if you want. If not, you sound like you know what it takes to be competitive anyway so good luck with anything you may have coming up.

:( I guess my retaliation wasn't witty enough as yours to deserve a response. I was kidding :D.

Nah, no worries...I didn't actually know where that comment came from. Anyway, my bad for the misinterpretation; if it's any consolation, I promise to be a smart ass in the future :)

Don't go and get all nice with each other all the sudden. POWERBARS! PROTEIN! H-G-H!!!!!!!!!!!

OdditySoftware_85_3875.png

OP, that's a thoughtful post. If you are considering retaking the MCAT, I am sure you can do better. By not retaking it perhaps you are letting it define you because you may doubt if you can do better. I found myself in this situation when I got my 26 (Like you, I had 3.9+ GPA). It brought all my future plans into question. I wasn't considering DO, so I would likely have had to switch to a business major and drastically change course. Instead, I "went all in," so to speak, and improved my MCAT by 9 points and I think you can too. Please PM me if you want any specific advice.

Last edited:
Don't go and get all nice with each other all the sudden. POWERBARS! PROTEIN! H-G-H!!!!!!!!!!!

OdditySoftware_85_3875.png

Actually bro, you just reminded me that it's time to inject my ass with the daily dose of Test.

Actually bro, you just reminded me that it's time to inject my ass with the daily dose of Test.

Not to derail or anything, but how do you find time to lift and eat clean while in medical school? I am pretty serious about my lifting and eating (had a lot to do with my ECs and how I even wrote my PS) and I have serious concerns about not being able to find the time to continue with all the studying etc required.

You're not the first to wonder, lol. Soon he'll just start to copy/paste the answer. :cool:

Not to derail or anything, but how do you find time to lift and eat clean while in medical school? I am pretty serious about my lifting and eating (had a lot to do with my ECs and how I even wrote my PS) and I have serious concerns about not being able to find the time to continue with all the studying etc required.
Make food in advance. You're not eating on a meal plan so you're in control ;).

The problem is not SDN, rather it is the prevailing, and frightening, mentality of today's pre-meds. There was a thread I read a while back about how pre-meds are bad for colleges because they argue every point, drive for top grades via any means including cheating and sucking up, and over commit themselves to activities and clubs where they take leadership positions they cannot fulfill just to say on their app that they did it. It is sad that people would take such steps but they do.

Two personal stories:
1. I got a 30 M. Although I was hoping for a 32 or 33, I was most shocked with the M. I didn't know what was so wrong with my essays since I followed the basic form required. I took the MCAT before all my friends so I told them my score. Some really mocked me for the M. I don't mind being the butt of a joke but it was just unending. Anyway, my friend got her score back and also got an M (and a lower MCAT score) and when I made a comment about how she mocked me, she made an excuse.."we'll my essays weren't that good so I'm not surprised I got an M."

2. After getting accepted I made a comment to a friend (not pre-med) that I was going to my volunteer group. And he was surprised and asked me "you still do that?" I said "why wouldn't I?" I assume he thought the whole volunteering thing was simply me faking community involvement, when in actuality, I volunteer because I enjoy it.

OP- Don't be discouraged. Retake the MCAT, kick a** and be better than the shallow, self-serving, egotistical people out there. This thread has shown there are those that do not fit into any of those categories. Befriend them, and do what you can to avoid the others. A less than stellar MCAT score is no reason to give up a dream.

Make food in advance. You're not eating on a meal plan so you're in control ;).
Worst part of dorm life: no real kitchen. I don't know what I'd do without my 13lb bag of chicken breasts and George Foreman. I can't wait to have an oven.

When it gets really busy, though, I figure we may have to kick back a few meal replacement shakes throughout the day just to keep going. One of the grad students I worked with had a tub of powder at his workbench so he could mix them up on the fly.

:laugh: I wonder if SDN has a higher concentration of neurotic people than an actual med school class

I hope so.

And I agree OP, you don't have to ***** yourself out to be a doctor. If you want to get into medical school, your application will show it despite the fact that you may have never held a dying baby in Namibia, hauled gomers around in the ER, thrown needles to heroin addicts hiding under a bridge, or any of the other junk that pre-meds often do to use as a vehicle for a tad-bit-overaggrandizing-yet-still-touching personal statement. Retake and b#### slap that MCAT... woo yeah good luck.

Worst part of dorm life: no real kitchen. I don't know what I'd do without my 13lb bag of chicken breasts and George Foreman. I can't wait to have an oven.

When it gets really busy, though, I figure we may have to kick back a few meal replacement shakes throughout the day just to keep going. One of the grad students I worked with had a tub of powder at his workbench so he could mix them up on the fly.

There's lots of little tricks. When I'm bulking, I carry around a jar of peanut butter; healthy fats and fills you up pretty fast between meals.

There's lots of little tricks. When I'm bulking, I carry around a jar of peanut butter; healthy fats and fills you up pretty fast between meals.

Wait! So why would you do that? Bulking? what does this do for you?

:laugh:

Wait! So why would you do that? Bulking? what does this do for you?

:laugh:

It allows you to gain muscle over a shorter period of time. Body builders tend to bulk before competition. I do not know if dedicated competes or not though.

It allows you to gain muscle over a shorter period of time. Body builders tend to bulk before competition. I do not know if dedicated competes or not though.

Actually, before a competition bodybuilders will go into a cutting phase, which is the opposite of bulking (generally, it's about 18 weeks out from a show). The purpose of a bulking phase in bodybuilding is to put on as much size as possible and then enter a cutting phase prior to a show (where the idea is to retain as much of the muscle mass you put on during the bulking phase but drastically cut all the bodyfat that was put on). Anyway, that's the general idea; however, the means to do such is probably more than most want to hear...so I'll be nice and spare ya.

between your ridiculous rambling in that King's County Hospital thread and this utterly ******ed post, it is clear you have no clue about anything :thumbdown:

between your ridiculous rambling in that King's County Hospital thread and this utterly ******ed post, it is clear you have no clue about anything :thumbdown:

Lukkie: At this point, it is probably best for me to go ahead and ignore you. You contribute little to any real discussion, but you have no problem jumping into the middle of everything and posting what you perceive to be clever remarks.

Dedikated2liftin: I forgot about the cutting phase. I knew that body builders tended to bulk at some time leading up to a competition.