Getting accepted without Bachelors degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ECA791

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, this is just information, and i think hope, for those who are planning on applying to Optometry schools w/o their bachelors degree. I was also worried about not getting in with my scores and gpa but I did. I believe that my personal statement, as well as my LOR's and Interview was what got me in, since my gpa and oat were not that high.
GPA (overall): 3.491
SCIENCE GPA: SHOULD BE SLIGHTLY HIGHER (i dont know it)
OAT: 310, 310
APPLIED: SUNNY, NOVA, PCO, SCO, ICO, NECO.
INTERVIEW REQUESTED: ALL OF THEM OFFERED ME AN INTERVIEW.
INTERVIEWED AT: NOVA, PCO, SCO.
ACCEPTED: PCO, NOVA
PUT ON HOLD: SCO
I AM GOING TO NOVA

Like I said above, I dont believe my grades or OAT had a great impact in my acceptances. However, I took some of the recommended courses such as Biochem 1 and 2, Genetics, Medical terminology, Human anatomy and physiology 1 and 2, and Statistics. I had 2 months of shadowing (over 200 hrs) and 20 hours of community service. Did not have any research experience. I believe i did good on all 3 interviewes, they were pretty laid back and one to one.

I hope this gave you any hope and best of luck to all of you that are going through this stage.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I am so happy for you!

Do you think I have a good chance of getting in somewhere without a bachelor's? I am currently studying accounting. I plan to apply to the optometry schools in Puerto Rico, Missouri, Illinois, the new one in Kentucky, and the one in San Antonio. Any other recommendations? I have a 3.88 GPA. I have not finished all the pre-requisites yet. I plan to take the second semester of the science ones in the spring and I am taking the first semester science ones now (fall 2016) and I took one in the summer. I plan to take the OAT late this month or early October. I have already shadowed an optometrist. I took the ADA practice optometry test and these were my scores:
Biology: 310
Chemistry: 330
Organic Chemistry: 300
RC: 310
Physics: 240
QR: 400

I am practicing with the OAT Achiever to bring up the scores. I have already taken calculus 1, general chemistry 1, statistics, and psychology. I am currently taking physics and biology.