Getting another master or phD degree after Pharm D

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a MS or PhD in epidemiologor pharmacoeconomics right after pharm D degree (leaning more towards epidemiology). I know I need to invest 4 - 6 years if I want a PhD, but I'm willing to study more.
My concern is basically "would it be worth it?" Would having the extra degree really give me more chances as a clinical researcher? I briefly searched current pharmacist job positions and not many positions required or preferred having a dual degree (pharm D + PhD)
I read some articles that it is not very cost effective. Am I not being realistic to consider a phD in these fields?
(I don't have a preference in my future work settings, academia, industry, etc.)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would recommend doing a PGY-1 followed by a fellowship. I wouldn't worry about not matching too much. If you apply widely for a PGY-1 and are not location restricted, the odds are in your favor. Fellowships don't go through a matching process. They have a similar application timetable after a PGY-1, but they just offer the fellowship to candidates instead of going through the matching process. Some fellowships have some graduate coursework included (e.g., the infectious disease fellowships at Wayne State). I am unsure if you would have enough clinical experience after just a Pharm.D. to go straight into clinical research. Although, there are a growing number of programs opening in translational research. Anyway, please feel free to pm with any questions.