Menu Icon Search
Close Search

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Getting around SGU and Grenada - Bikes? Skateboards?

Discussion in 'Saint George's University (Sponsored Forum)' started by Zpearl, 12.19.11.

1. Zpearl

Zpearl PreVet Student

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hey guys,

I am interested in going to St. George University for vet med and I have a question for anyone who has been there. What are the roads like around campus and Grenada? I'm interested in bringing my longboard skateboard and/or my bike to get around. Anybody know if this is a bad idea? Are the roads full of gravel and potholes? What about on campus? Do they allow bikes or skateboards on the pathways?

Thanks!
  2. jmo1012

jmo1012 SGU (NCSU) c/o 2015!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    You might be able to get away with a bike in Grenada, but the roads and sidewalks are definitely not good enough for a skateboard. Lots of potholes, divets, and bumps, and the drivers are CRAZY (but really good at it). Must people get a motorized scooter or car for travelling around the island. The island is mountainous and campus is hilly. I've only ever seen 1 person with a bike and he was a professor.
  3. chicane

chicane

Pre-Veterinary
    What's the cost of a scooter there? Gas? insurance? where do you get it from?
  4. sbrdvm

sbrdvm SGU SVM c/o 2015!!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    you can find a used one for a little less than 2,000. Gas here is like 7 dollars a gallon. I rent a car depending on what you can drive they range from 350-600 a month which includes everything except gas so I dont know what insurance and such cost. If you want to buy a car/scooter you can always find people that are leaving the island selling them. I wouldn't ride a bike or skate board on the sidewalks/roads here like jmo said there are potholes everywhere and people drive like crazy here
  5. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    7 US or 7EC??
  6. sbrdvm

sbrdvm SGU SVM c/o 2015!!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    7 USD about 16-17 EC
  7. jmo1012

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    WOW. granted, because this island is pretty small and you pretty much spend all day every day in class/studying, this probably isn't too terrible, but still!
  8. chicane

chicane

Pre-Veterinary
    350-400/month for a rental isn't that bad. I am used to crazy drivers so i don't think that's a concern. how long does it take do tour the whole island by car? also, is the notion of scooters very popular or only off campus students resort to it?
  9. ravenskya

ravenskya

Pre-Veterinary
    how are the roads as far as dirt bikes or motorcycles?

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal