Getting EMT certification and NOT having a job.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
So I got my EMT cert last year, and due to work schedule etc I decided not to get a job as an EMT. Then came April MCATs, for which I had to study, and along with my other research job, again, I had to put EMT job on hold.

Now that i know MCATs are over and i don't think I will be taking it over again, I am looking for a new job probably as an ER Tech. I submit my AMCAS a week or two from now and I don't think that I will be able to have a job by then. Question is: Do I put down my EMT certification as one of the Post Sec Exp? Or do I wait till I get a job and THEN submit the AMCAS? OR, do I keep one extra Post Sec Exp free so that once I get a job, I can re-submit and re-certify my app sometime in the near future?

What do you say???
Tweetie

Members don't see this ad.

PS: the reason I asked this question is b/c I have always heard people say that getting a cert. is not enough, you gotta work in the field. Well, I do have tons of clinical experience etc (H & P, vitals, physicals etc), at another job, so it's not like I am trying to beef up my application by making it look like I have clinical skills from the one EMT class that I took. Know what I mean?

This is the kind of thing you add during the interview process...resubmitting just to add one post-sec experience could cost you some valuable time in this process.

I'd put down the certification right now, submit and wait for secondaries. By the time secondaries roll around you might be hired, and you can add the work experience on the secondary or when they ask you for additional info during the interview.