Getting in with weak LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And it's important to build that networking skill because it's so important. As a young'un I thought the term "networking" was kinda yucky. I felt like I should get things in life because of my own merits. Like when people told me early in vet school to work on networking, and I heard people say things like "I'm going to the avma conference to network" I rolled my eyes. But I've realized that networking =/= schmoozing. And it does speak to your strength as a person. It really means getting to know enough people with clout within the community who can scratch your back when needed. That is how you get jobs and residencies and whatever professional positions in this field.

:love: Exactly my thoughts!!

I think that merit needs to start it. For instance, people will see who you are and your merits and then networking opportunities will open up from there. The person in charge of my research organization told me that there was a student who was also in the organization that ended up as a veterinary dentist and that he would love to have me work with him eventually. You better bet I accepted the offer for her to put us in touch!

Members don't see this ad.

I have a question regarding LORs. I recently graduated with my masters and I would love fir all 3 committee members to be able to write something about me. If I don't get in this year I will have 2 vets next yr, which leaves me only one letter left. Is there a way for my 3 committee members to write/fill out one letter, or can there only be one per letter? I know med schools allow 'committee packets' but I am unsure if vet school letters are done in such a way that allows for this.
Just wanted to point out that you can submit up to six LORs, you just have to have a minimum of three. If you submit more than three some schools will look at all of them, or some will still only look at three (not sure how they choose which three). I definitely recommend asking at least four people for LORs if possible, so you don't get screwed over if one person is unable to submit theirs!

Reactions: 1 users
For those who got one of their references from a non-DVM or vet related professional, did you state your intentions about a possible letter at the beginning?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who got one of their references from a non-DVM or vet related professional, did you state your intentions about a possible letter at the beginning?
I got one of mine from an English professor who I became really close to, I don't think I mentioned anything about it in advance but he knew I was applying to vet school long before I applied. I didn't decide to ask him until later on.

Last edited:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by in the beginning but I would definitely take the time to get to know your potential reference before mentioning a LOR. Don't start a relationship off with telling them how much you would love a LOR down the line.. It could appear as though you're just using them.

Reactions: 1 user

I don't know if my orgo professor qualifies as what you're asking... But they told me they hated animals when I mentioned vet school so I'm going to say yes to non-vet related professional. Anyways I did exceptionally well in their class, and they really liked me. But I never considered getting a LOR from them. Never even brought it up. I was talking to them maybe 2 weeks before VMCAS was due and they actually offered to write me a LOR. They had it uploaded a few hours later. This was an amazing recommendation that helped me stand out at every school I applied to. I had enough before but my schools let me designate what I wanted read so I put that LOR in the place of a weaker one from a vet I hadn't worked with much.

Bottom line, it's better to foster a true relationship, and not one aimed at getting a letter. I of course wouldn't talk about vet school and a LOR from the get go, you're going to look desperate. There's a fine line between networking and groveling. You'll never get another chances to foster connections with people in the arts and sciences as you get in UG, so do it while you can.

I got a LOR from my supervisor at my call center job. When I first started working there in October 2014 I had already applied for c/o 2019, and then last March when I was transferred to her department I hadn't yet found out I was going to need to apply again. So no, I didn't bring up the possibility of a LOR ahead of time. When I asked I found out that she's technically not supposed to provide references due to some corporate policy, but she was able to bend the rules for me since it's for school and not another job. She's super nice and very supportive of my goals, always asking how my clinic job is going. And I guess it was at least a decent letter since I got an acceptance! She was really excited when I told her. :)

I also had a LOR from my undergraduate advisor, but he obviously knew I was pre-vet so I'm sure he wasn't surprised when I asked. ;)

Reactions: 1 user
It really means getting to know enough people with clout within the community who can scratch your back when needed.

I do not want to put words in MB's mouth, but I totally agree with that and I think that she doesn't mean it in the sense of some devious "I'm going to abuse my contacts to get ahead" kind of sense. It's just the way things work - you get to know someone with clout, they talk to someone who says "hey, I'm looking for a vet to do ....", they say "huh... well... yanno, I just met with this bright student who seems really motivated - might be a great fit." And then you get an email or phone call. Or, you go talk to clout person and say "Hey, I'm looking, who do you know that you think would be an awesome boss that might be a good fit for me?"

It's not a negative icky fake schmoozing thing. It's just building real relationships. It opens doors.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup, it's actually amazing how many jobs are available through word of mouth rather than postings... Something I've noticed because I keep tabs on job listings in my area at all times regardless of whether I'm looking or not, maybe even a majority of the posts are by repeat offenders who can't seem to keep or attract associates. The fewer people you know with the power to influence hiring, the less chance you'll have that you'll be in the know about unposted openings of clinics that aren't new grad mills. This also goes for getting on the board of directors and such for nonprofits, getting involved with vet schools if they are nearby, and other opportunities.

It's such a small profession. Especially when you stick around in the same geographic area for a little bit, it's even more so. Who you know, and what these acquaintances know about you can make a huge difference.

I do not want to put words in MB's mouth, but I totally agree with that and I think that she doesn't mean it in the sense of some devious "I'm going to abuse my contacts to get ahead" kind of sense. It's just the way things work - you get to know someone with clout, they talk to someone who says "hey, I'm looking for a vet to do ....", they say "huh... well... yanno, I just met with this bright student who seems really motivated - might be a great fit." And then you get an email or phone call. Or, you go talk to clout person and say "Hey, I'm looking, who do you know that you think would be an awesome boss that might be a good fit for me?"

It's not a negative icky fake schmoozing thing. It's just building real relationships. It opens doors.
Yup. It's true. My professional relationship with one of the more prominent vets here led to me being able to open a practice and be somewhat successful (only time will tell exactly how successful). But it was a professional relationship built out of having some of the same goals and interests. I didn't get to know him to further my career. Between him and the other vets I know here, I'm able to get a lot of info regarding vet techs and assistants in my area. And if I put out a call for techs, he tends to have good suggestions.