Getting into DPT school with low undergrad GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daniel M. Pitta

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was a non-traditional student (print journalism/criminal justice double major) that finished with a 2.8 cumulative GPA from undergrad. My last 60 credits were brutal, as I had a D and a few C's. I made the decision to pursue PT a year ago and have been paying out of pocket for the prereqs ( of which there are many) while working full time, so it has been an absolute grind. Right now, I am staring down the barrel of taking 2 chem's 2 physics, abnormal psych and bio 2 this year, and also have to take the GRE next summer, so I'm very anxious and stressed.

I'm disconcerted at the fact that my low GPA from undergrad, when I was 21 years old, had no clue what I was doing, and was taking completely unrelated courses to the Health Science spectrum, will come back to haunt me on my PT application. The prospect of spending the amount of time and money it would take to finish with a strong prereq GPA and still not getting accepted to programs is enough to make my head explode. Are there many schools that don't put so much emphasis on undergrad GPA? This is the only career that I can see myself doing, and I've worked as a tech for the past 2 years.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It's possible! You have a good plan. Nail this tough year of pre reqs with straight As and it will prove to schools you are ready. Ultimately, if you have straight A's in all your pre reqs (even counting retakes), it can help take the focus off of a low GPA. (Plus, every class you take will raise your GPA a tiny bit anyway). You HAVE to get your cumulative up above 3.0 in my opinion as a minimum. Once you are there, I recommend making sure you have As in all your pre reqs and if so, I think you stand a chance. I applied and was accepted to some great schools with a very low overall GPA and Pre req GPA from very old grades. I received straight As in the last 5 years leading up to PT application so I think that helped admissions look past those old averages of grades.

Reactions: 3 users
I got in this year with an undergrad GPA of 2.8, but I have a master's degree too, with a GPA of 3.85...I also had strong grades in my last 60 credits. My advice would be to do really well in all the classes you're taking now and to make sure you apply to schools that accept lower GPAs...but it is possible! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are tons of posts relating to this very question. If you search SDN you'll find all your answers. I'm a nontraditional student also. My cGPA is a 3.15. I got accepted. My pGPA was a 3.8 or 3.9 and my last 60 was a 3.9 or 4.0. You have absolutely got to get your cGPA up to a least a 3.0 or most programs won't look at you. There are some that have a 2.9 requirement, but not many. Nail those prerequisites with A's and get that last 60 GPA up around a 3.5 and you should be good. Then you need to research each program thoroughly. Find out how they weigh each category and apply accordingly. There are just too many factors for me to list, so make a list of factors that are important such as the ones I just told you and other ones such as teaching style, location, cost, etc. Then you will be able to make a strategic, informed decision on which programs to apply to. This will undoubtedly save you money. This is one of the most expensive ventures you'll ever undertake so make sure to be very thorough and make the best decision for you.

Reactions: 3 users
I
There are tons of posts relating to this very question. If you search SDN you'll find all your answers. I'm a nontraditional student also. My cGPA is a 3.15. I got accepted. My pGPA was a 3.8 or 3.9 and my last 60 was a 3.9 or 4.0. You have absolutely got to get your cGPA up to a least a 3.0 or most programs won't look at you. There are some that have a 2.9 requirement, but not many. Nail those prerequisites with A's and get that last 60 GPA up around a 3.5 and you should be good. Then you need to research each program thoroughly. Find out how they weigh each category and apply accordingly. There are just too many factors for me to list, so make a list of factors that are important such as the ones I just told you and other ones such as teaching style, location, cost, etc. Then you will be able to make a strategic, informed decision on which programs to apply to. This will undoubtedly save you money. This is one of the most expensive ventures you'll ever undertake so make sure to be very thorough and make the best decision for you.

My cGPA (2.8) is from undergrad, which I finished in 2009. Per a few of the schools that I've spoken with, the prereqs that I'm taking now have no bearing on my cGPA. I didn't take any science courses during undergrad since my major was completely unrelated. What was communicated to me today (by UCF, MY #1 school) was that they will weigh my low GPA from undergrad, as well as my prereq GPA, GRE, etc...separately. I have taken 5 prereqs so far (Bio I, both A&P's, Psych, Stats) and have 3 B's and 2 A's, I think I have around a 3.5 prereq GPA. With me having a low cGPA and already having 3 B's with my prereqs, I feel like I basically have to ace every prereq from here on out, and with 2 Chemistrys, 2 Physics and another Bio on the docket, that is quite the challenge, to say the least.

Ok, first all of your courses you take will count toward your cGPA. ALL of them. So that information is just not correct. Second, yes, with a lot of Bs you need more As at this point. Accept it and go after those grades, no excuses. It will be easier to get As in undergrad than PASS some of your DPT classes....promise.

For the most part prerequisite's count towards your cumulative GPA, but I did have one school which did not consider them and only looked at the GPA I graduated with.

Thanks for the responses; getting varying answers from different people at the same program made it a little confusing. Looks like I'll have to ace the rest of these prereqs and kill the GRE.

I actually just got my acceptance letter today to the PTA program here. Didn't think twice when I told them that I was declining because I'm focusing on DPT school instead. Hopefully that was the right move.

I actually just got my acceptance letter today to the PTA program here. Didn't think twice when I told them that I was declining because I'm focusing on DPT school instead. Hopefully that was the right move.
Of course it was! If you want to be a PT, don't settle for anything less!

I originally considered PTA as well since I would have easily been accepted, but once I got the OK to go for PT school I never looked back! I am applying to the 2015-2016 cycle, just took the GRE for the first time today, and trying to cram the remaining pre-reqs before it's too late! I am now doing everything in my power to learn as much as possible about this whole process... Good luck!

I originally considered PTA as well since I would have easily been accepted, but once I got the OK to go for PT school I never looked back! I am applying to the 2015-2016 cycle, just took the GRE for the first time today, and trying to cram the remaining pre-reqs before it's too late! I am now doing everything in my power to learn as much as possible about this whole process... Good luck!
Nice, good luck with your journey! Please give some feedback on taking the GRE for us who have to begin studying for it. Thanks :)

Nice, good luck with your journey! Please give some feedback on taking the GRE for us who have to begin studying for it. Thanks :)

So today was my first attempt with literally almost no studying... verbal: 148 and math: 148 (still have to wait for writing). So, not the greatest but it's at least a starting point. I purchased the On-Demand Kaplan GRE Test Prep (which is the online prep course) but haven't been able to utilize it like I wanted so I am planning to take it 1 or 2 more times. It actually didn't go as badly as I had initially expected with how little prepped I was.
When do you plan on taking it?
When are you planning on submitting your application?

So today was my first attempt with literally almost no studying... verbal: 148 and math: 148 (still have to wait for writing). So, not the greatest but it's at least a starting point. I purchased the On-Demand Kaplan GRE Test Prep (which is the online prep course) but haven't been able to utilize it like I wanted so I am planning to take it 1 or 2 more times. It actually didn't go as badly as I had initially expected with how little prepped I was.
When do you plan on taking it?
When are you planning on submitting your application?
I am still working on my prereqs, and am planning to take the GRE in January between semesters, and then again next summer before sending out apps by the October 1st deadline. Are you finished with all of your prereqs, hours, references, etc.? What are your top schools?

I am still working on my prereqs, and am planning to take the GRE in January between semesters, and then again next summer before sending out apps by the October 1st deadline. Are you finished with all of your prereqs, hours, references, etc.? What are your top schools?

so you mean January of next year?
I have completed almost everything... I have just begun my 2nd BIO course, still need to take 2 semesters of PHY, and possibly organic chem since I see that's a req for some... but TBH I probably won't follow through with o chem.
I work at a PT office so I shadow regularly and have a great relationship with my PT co-workers/supervisor... I'm thankful in that aspect, but I am having difficultly finding an in-patient clinic allow me to observe.
References - check :)
Top schools include USC, Marymount, and Univ Miami or UCF... what about you? I have a list of about 12 schools and have done some research, but I will probably apply to as many as I can afford and as soon as possible since I don't have the most stellar stats.
I don't have many extracurriculars either. I am currently in a Nutrition graduate council and was active in my sorority in undergrad which included a ton of volunteer work, but I don't have solid names of places and events that we did to even mention them... I'm going to have to do some digging around.
Right now I'm really focused on finishing these pre-reqs, studying for a 2nd attempt at the GRE, and just honing in on what schools I will have the greatest chance of getting into.

Ok, first all of your courses you take will count toward your cGPA. ALL of them. So that information is just not correct. Second, yes, with a lot of Bs you need more As at this point. Accept it and go after those grades, no excuses. It will be easier to get As in undergrad than PASS some of your DPT classes....promise.

I just got off the phone with someone in the PT dept at UCF now...she says that they do, in fact, look at the last 60 credits of your UNDERGRAD, and calculate that as a separate entity. She told me that the only way the prereqs that I'm taking now would be counted toward my cGPA is if they are going toward a degree (a second bachelor's, master's, etc.) I have not up to this point even considered going for another degree, other than for DPT. My cGPA from undergrad (again, journalism/criminal justice double major so completely unrelated to health sciences and no prereqs for PT taken) was a brutal 2.65. She basically told me that since their minimum required cGPA is a 3.0, that the only way I could get into their program would be to get another degree prior to applying, or look at other schools in Florida that have different requirements. So basically I say all of that to say that my goal of attending UCF for PT school is basically dead, which isn't necessarily the end of the world, but indeed disappointing.

I just got off the phone with someone in the PT dept at UCF now...she says that they do, in fact, look at the last 60 credits of your UNDERGRAD, and calculate that as a separate entity. She told me that the only way the prereqs that I'm taking now would be counted toward my cGPA is if they are going toward a degree (a second bachelor's, master's, etc.) I have not up to this point even considered going for another degree, other than for DPT. My cGPA from undergrad (again, journalism/criminal justice double major so completely unrelated to health sciences and no prereqs for PT taken) was a brutal 2.65. She basically told me that since their minimum required cGPA is a 3.0, that the only way I could get into their program would be to get another degree prior to applying, or look at other schools in Florida that have different requirements. So basically I say all of that to say that my goal of attending UCF for PT school is basically dead, which isn't necessarily the end of the world, but indeed disappointing.

EEK... well then... So I guess what you're saying is if right now I am working towards my Masters, but won't finish it before applying, those credits and the remaining from my undergrad would be included? I'm not going to lie, this is a very confusing process lol

prereq grades -- whether they be before or after your degree -- ought to be included in your "overall" cGPA

PTCAS GPA Descriptions

• Overall Cumulative GPA includes all undergraduate, graduate, and professional courses.
  • Undergraduate Cumulative GPA excludes any post-baccalaureate undergraduate courses.
  • Graduate Cumulative GPA. If no graduate coursework, GPA is blank.
  • GPA for Each Institution Attended may differ from the college or university transcript due to grade standardization process.
  • Academic Status GPAs are based on a student's registration status at the time the courses were taken: freshman, sophomore, junior, senior, graduate, and post-baccalaureate undergraduate.
  • Upper-Division Course GPA includes junior and senior courses identified in the "course level" field of the coursework section.
  • Science GPA includes anatomy and physiology in biology, biology, chemistry and physics courses.
  • Combined Science and Math GPA includes all courses in the science GPA, plus math courses.
  • Course Subject GPAs are calculated for every PTCAS course subject.
  • Core PT Prerequisite GPA is based on the courses identified as core PT prerequisites by the applicant in the coursework section. Core PT prerequisites may differ from program-specific course requirements. PTCAS does not verify that applicants have properly matched a college course to the correct prerequisite.

EEK... well then... So I guess what you're saying is if right now I am working towards my Masters, but won't finish it before applying, those credits and the remaining from my undergrad would be included? I'm not going to lie, this is a very confusing process lol

Call Bianca in the PT dept and she will answer any questions you have re: admissions. 407-823-3462. Good luck!

UCF specifically uses a last 60 hours undergrad GPA that has to be above a 3.0 (clearly stated on their website). That is a school specific GPA calculation . It is NOT a cum GPA. Masters work will not be counted here. It's looking at basically your last 2 years of undergrad degree. Honestly this is a fairly unusual way to do it. Many other schools use last 60 credits of undergrad courses (whether degree or post bac). Again, masters doesn't count here at all.

My point is, this is one very specific calc for 1 school. It's not cum GPA which you still can improve with all classes taken. Double check your last 60 hour GPA and otherwise move on.

I got in this year with an undergrad GPA of 2.8, but I have a master's degree too, with a GPA of 3.85...I also had strong grades in my last 60 credits. My advice would be to do really well in all the classes you're taking now and to make sure you apply to schools that accept lower GPAs...but it is possible! :)
Hi heaq12, Where are you going? where all you applied?