Getting into Med School with 2 Misdemeanors...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hmmmm

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

When I was 19 I was convicted of petty larceny and assault (both misdemeanors) happening during the same incident. I have since graduated with a 3.9 gpa, held a prestigious job, am 5 years removed from the incident and have been accepted into one of the premier Pre-Med Post Bac programs. Other programs I applied to gave me interviews, but expressed concern over my chances of getting into med school and residencies, but weren't sure if it would actually matter. I contacted the board of licensing in one state and also one medical school both claiming that misdemeanors that happened while in college would not prevent me from getting into medical school or getting licensed.

Assumptions: I maintain a 3.9 GPA for all science classes in the Pre-med program and get the equivalent of ~36 MCAT score (based on the old MCAT grading scale; it has changed starting in 2015). I am in the US.

Does anyone have an idea on my chances of getting into medical school and then securing a residency?

Members don't see this ad.

get them expunged. write into the courts... if they are five years old it shouldn't be a problem. Also for the first semester you probably don't wanna take a full schedule of science classes, even though they are the easiest science classes you will take, they are typically around 2x harder than non-science classes

If the schools inquire about arrests or convictions in the secondaries you should tell them about the situation and what you have done since then. Your past crimes will show up no matter what, so don't hide it. Just try to get them expunged and tell them the whole story and that you are getting them expunged. Can't say how much it will hinder your chances as I am not an adcom, but it might at some schools and might not at others, and also may depend on how severe the assault and larceny were. As far as residency goes, the same thing applies. If a school lets you in, they believe you will be allowed to practice. Good luck!

Edit: just saw this is an old thread

I can't sugar coat this...these crimes on your record make me nervous about admitting you, particularly the assault charge. We've rejected people for petty theft alone.

If you app gets into the hands of people who believe in redemption, you should be OK.

Hi All,

When I was 19 I was convicted of petty larceny and assault (both misdemeanors) happening during the same incident. I have since graduated with a 3.9 gpa, held a prestigious job, am 5 years removed from the incident and have been accepted into one of the premier Pre-Med Post Bac programs. Other programs I applied to gave me interviews, but expressed concern over my chances of getting into med school and residencies, but weren't sure if it would actually matter. I contacted the board of licensing in one state and also one medical school both claiming that misdemeanors that happened while in college would not prevent me from getting into medical school or getting licensed.

Assumptions: I maintain a 3.9 GPA for all science classes in the Pre-med program and get the equivalent of ~36 MCAT score (based on the old MCAT grading scale; it has changed starting in 2015). I am in the US.

Does anyone have an idea on my chances of getting into medical school and then securing a residency?