About the ads

Getting into OT school with low GRE score

Discussion in 'Occupational Therapy [ O.T.D ]' started by wildcat1212, Jul 21, 2011.

1. SDN is a nonprofit organization. Services are made possible through the generous support of SDN members and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. wildcat1212

wildcat1212

DPT / OTD

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)

Hi guys, so I just took the GRE again last week after getting a low score in January and after all the hours I spent studying and taking another review class I still only got a 880. I'm so frustrated because most OT programs require a minimum of 1000. I have around a 3.3 overall GPA and 4.0 Pre-req GPA, do you think I still have a chance?
  2. Califaith21

Califaith21

DPT / OTD
    have you thought about applying to schools who don't require the gre?
  3. STHERE

STHERE

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Have you considered taking the MAT instead? You might do better...
  4. wildcat1212

wildcat1212

DPT / OTD
    Do OT schools accept the GMAT?
  5. lizzo76

lizzo76

Pre-Rehab Sci [AuD/DPT/OTD]
    Have you taken the GMAT and done well? Most people consider that the GMAT is more difficult than the GRE because of its focus on quantitative reasoning, but if that is your strength, maybe you'd do better on it. I've taken the LSAT, GMAT, and GRE, and I would say that most people would think the GRE was the "easiest" test. I have not seen any school accept the GMAT, but maybe.

But there are plenty of well-ranked accredited schools which don't require any standardized test.
  6. STHERE

STHERE

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    GMAT is usually the STD for business grad school. MAT and GRE are the one's used for OT school usually, but if you ask the school you want to apply I am sure they would have no problem accepting GMAT.
  7. Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

I believe this is well-meant but potentially misguided advice.

First, I'm unaware of any OT grad programs accepting the Millers Analogy any longer. And I'd guess that most programs would have a major problem accepting the GMAT. The primary purpose of requiring these standardized exams is to put all applicants on the same playing field to help in assessing both achievement and aptitude. Today, and more so "tomorrow", as applications sky-rocket in OT programs, my guess is there will be less latitude in this one, with GRE (NOT MAT or GMAT) scores becoming the standardardized testing request and requirement.

Some of the less competitive programs may allow some flexibility and/or as noted by one not requiring GRE, but I'd be very skeptical of any counsel suggesting alternatives absent receiving written permission in advance of submission of such scores. And unless I'd taken one of those some significant time in the past, I'm not even sure I'd ask. Doing so would be very naive and potentially work against a candidate, indicating inability to grasp and/or follow the simplest of directions. Not a good thing. Know and do what the instructions say and minimize grief of the admissions officers and committees. Especially when there are 10 candidates vying for 1 spot, and the other 9 have followed directions to the "T."
  8. Califaith21

Califaith21

DPT / OTD
    SJSU accepts the MAT in lieu of the gre and I doubt it's the only school that does that.
  9. exrx

exrx

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I ditto some of those above. You may want to consider taking the MAT if schools accept it. It may behoove you to contact schools to speak with them about your candidacy. You definitely wouldn't be the 1st to enter with low gres. And there are several good programs that don't require gre/mat either.
  10. Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Do you know the way to San Jose?

Now we know of one lone campus taking the MAT in lieu of GRE.

Any others? And which program(s) will take the GMAT in lieu of either of these?

No spitting in the wind now. Let's be specific and accurate.
  11. STHERE

STHERE

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    One lone? I don't think so... All of the schools I am looking at will take GRE or MAT sorry Whistle Pig.
  12. Califaith21

Califaith21

DPT / OTD
    Whistle Pig no need to be nasty, sarcasm doesn't play too well in type.

What programs are you thinking about applying to? Do you have any helpful advice for the poster or just more "reality check"...is that what you would call that thing you're doing?
  13. FutureOT2013

FutureOT2013 MOT Student

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I love Dionne Warwick, but in reference to the "one lone" doesn't lone already imply solitude?
  14. Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

For the benefit of all, please name 'em. Talk is cheap. Facts, please. Thanks in advance.

Wasn't that nice!:love:

Calfaith ... you think that was nasty??? Oh dear, you're in for some tough days ahead, I fear. Maybe that Cal thing? :eek:

FutureOT ... good pickup! You get "A" today! I'd have been literarily good to go with a comma twixt 'em, ... one, lone ...
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  15. Califaith21

Califaith21

DPT / OTD
    I suppose all the sunshine and drugs haven't hardened me to the world yet, oh well
  16. STHERE

STHERE

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    MEOOWW!

When people think they are better than everyone else, I guess they are that shallow and insecure on the inside.

Sorry but, people come here to learn and not be judged or criticized. If you think you are better than everyone else then you really have no business being here anyway...
  17. Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

STHERE's made a simple claim. Some 30 hours and counting. "All of the schools ..."

Here's your chance to come to the informed aid of all. Simply name "all" of those schools that will take that MAT. The OT world awaits. Pretty simple answer. Allow that font of wisdom and knowledge to flow that the rest of us might drink deeply ...

Maybe Calfaith can help out. She proclaims her doubt about SJSU being the only one.

Wouldn't you love to see trying to get away answering an NBOT question like these?:rolleyes:;):p:xf:
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  18. FutureOT2013

FutureOT2013 MOT Student

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Not the rest of us, just those who haven't cut it on the GRE. Yay I got an "A" today from Whistle Pig, forget OT school my life is complete now.
  19. Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Now there's a girl who knows she's been blessed!:love: And behaves like an adult with a little humor.:laugh:

The silence among those pontificating of "all" those schools is deafening ...:rolleyes:

One lonely MAT IDed. Nary even one from the GMAT "allegators." When facts are essential, they can be hard to find, it seems.;) Let's hope that they don't expect their clients to buy the "oh, it'll be all right. Trust me" equivalent. A sweet bed-side manner's nice; genuine knowledge and expertise is better. The two should not be confused. Makes you just wanna say, "GROW UP" for the sake of their hoped-for profession and professionalism. Whiny little girls.

And to those who proclaim things with broad-brushing acclamation? Show us. Prove it.
  20. exrx

exrx

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I think this little squabble is somewhat ridiculous as I have no skin in it. In any event, this is not exhaustive but I do know that these schools allow the MAT: Phila U., U. Alabama, Fl. Hospital College, CSU-Dominguez Hills, Idaho State, Jefferson, Temple, Thomas Jefferson, Belmont, etc.
  21. Califaith21

Califaith21

DPT / OTD
    Wildcat are you a strong candidate in other aspects?
  22. Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

exrx ... I'm puzzled. I know 3 of your alleged MAT recipients do not appear to be accurate. One does not even require tests. Where are you getting this information, if I may ask?

Wow, facts on this stuff really seem hard to come by, if not claims.
  23. exrx

exrx

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
  24. exrx

exrx

DPT / OTD
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    http://www.philau.edu/ot/admissions.htm

True, U. A@B has changed their policy since the last time I checked.......my bad

http://fhchs.edu/academics/occupationaltherapy

http://www.csudh.edu/catalog/2007-2009/58 OTR.htm
    http://www.csudh.edu/cps/hhs/dhs/ot/otapplication09.pdf

http://www.isu.edu/dpot/ot/mot-entry.shtml

http://www.jefferson.edu/health_professions/admissions/apply_results.cfm
    for some reason I listed this x2 originally

http://chpsw.temple.edu/rs/occupational-therapy/degrees-offered/master-occupational-therapy-mot-0

Yeah, definitely wrong about Belmont but here is another to make up for my egregious error:

http://www.spalding.edu/academics/occupational-therapy/how-to-apply/
  25. Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Many thanks for the specific information. That will be helpful to many in this process, unlike others who make broadbrushing statements and claims with nothing to back it up. And thus these allegations become misleading. Again, thanks for your good info and your references.

Still, no evidence of any evidence of a single school accepting the GMAT.
  26. gymnastau

gymnastau

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Curious....
    Who has taken both the MAT and the GRE?
    Who has taken the prep courses?

I have only taken the GRE. I would consider the MAT and will look into it.

I took a Kaplan prep course. It was a $500 online, self paced one. The content was okay and it did help increase my score by a bit. I would have preferred the more extensive in the classroom course though to get back into the swing of things with the math.
  27. Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

gymnastau ... Help us to learn about Kaplan's value. What is "a bit?" From what to what?
  28. gymnastau

gymnastau

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Quantitative score improved by about 150 points, verbal by 50. The online self paced class offers quite a lot but lacks in personal support if you find a concept confusing.
  29. lizzo76

lizzo76

I honestly believe Princeton Review books ($30 or less) to be helpful. I've flipped through one for PSAT, SAT, GRE, GMAT, and LSAT. Their practice questions are realistic, and the techniques they use are commonsense for some, but apparently not for a lot of people who improve dramatically after learning them. They teach the basics of the subjects, but they also teach how to think like the test writers, which allows you to (quite effectively) use process of elimination to improve your chances of picking the right answer. I think my general test-taking behavior was always in line with what they suggest, but that's not the case for a lot of people, and a lot of people benefit from them.
  30. gymnastau

gymnastau

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Maybe at some point we can create a thread listing schools that do and don't take the MAT. Since it was a topic of interest I emailed a few schools. So far Ohio State University has informed me that they will not take the MAT, even if it is submitted along with the GRE for comparison.
  31. veggieswirl

veggieswirl

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My advice to anyone is to take the GRE when you are in the thick of undergrad and/or pre-reqs. I took it once and took it with little studying and I got a 510 verbal, 620 quantitative and 4.5 on the writing. I think I would do worse now. I took it in January right after statistics. You should take it as soon as possible. The GRE is designed to test things from undergrad, but not subject matter, at least for the general test. It's good to be fresh from writing papers and doing math, as opposed to a few years out of undergrad. I'm not sure how important the GRE is either. Also, Samuel Meritt in Oakland does not require the GRE and will not consider your scores one bit. They won't even look at them!
  32. Califaith21

Califaith21

DPT / OTD
    1000 is the minimum to be considered, but what are schools really looking for?
  33. Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

You're right. Most GRE requiring programs want a baseline of 1000. What they want is the highest mean score they can muster. And there may be and often are, disparate groupings or clusters, notably around diversity issues. All are not playing on the same field. And as applicant numbers escalate, watch the mean, if not minimum, GRE scores go up. And the only reason the min may not climb is in order not to exclude specific profile students.

In counting GRE scores, count on one thing ... they are going to go up and become more not less important. Generally speaking.
  34. Califaith21

Califaith21

DPT / OTD
    Are you referring to the mean for the program or the mean for all programs. Just need a little clarification. Also you refered to specific student profiles? Who do those cohorts include?
  35. Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Mean/program. It's like an academic "beauty contest", and GREs are becoming the swim-suit event. And it's a 2 piece event.
  36. Califaith21

Califaith21

DPT / OTD
    Ahhh, I thought that was over after I joined a sorority. Oh well.
  37. Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Sadly, silly as they are as a tool to assess either one's intelligence or professional potential, academics love these, despite zero evidence of any validity in forecasting either. Provides simple ...if simplistic ... bragging points at the AOTA annual convention cocktail hours.

"Well, you know our scores have gone up 10% over the past year. We're really close to Wash U. now. You'd think we would be given some recognition and bonus for this. But our dean is so enamored with the pharmacy profs. btw, do you know anyone at BU? I see they are looking for a professor and my research is perfect for what they're advertising.":eyebrow:
  38. Califaith21

Califaith21

DPT / OTD
    Couldn't you just buck the system and apply to one of the afore mentioned schools that doesn't require the GRE?
  39. Whistle Pig

Whistle Pig

Of course! And many people do just that. They apply to community colleges, proprietary institutions, and public non-selective institutions not held in high esteem among the academic community.

Now, let me be clear. That does NOT MEAN these institutions are invalid, lesser quality, etc. But it does mean that they market to a different niche of student, and that is "allowed" or endorsed because the faculty does not have those expectations and requirements, almost always of a less accomplished faculty. So there are issues that can be pervasive and complex relative to this one issue.

btw, I am not an advocate of these tests. I consider them to be a racquet with little or no evidence of them being a valid predictor of future quality of professional or even potential for students successfully completing an academic program. A total conspiracy. Sadly though they have been embraced ... sorta like the silly rankings in U.S. News and other pubs ... as having some import and credibility. And so it is, they become self-fulfilling prophecy of sorts. The real tragedy in all of this is that the academics and the intellectual community could quickly, easily, fully call out this scam of monumental proportions. But they do not. Why? $$$, power, influence. Total conspiracy, imo.
  40. veggieswirl

veggieswirl

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I must confess, I am happy to be reading this! I am in the low GPA but higher GRE book, so I am hoping my GRE helps me get admitted. There seems to be more high GPA but lower GRE people, and I have heard that programs are judged by their NBCOT exam pass rates, and GRE is a good predictor of that, plus all my pre-reqs have been completed, with a GPA that ranges from 2.8 to 3.1 depending on the school. Plus I'm a bilingual Latina, so even though I'm probably not going to get in, the GRE gives me a little bit of a chance for a wait list. I have a 510 Verbal, 620 Quant and 4.5 writing. GPA is 2.95...... Applying at USC, Loma Linda, CSUDH, SJSU, Touro-Nevada, AT Still-Arizona School of Health Sciences and Midwestern-AZ. I'm not complaining one bit about the GRE seeing as how CSUDH and USC told me it gives me a reasonable chance to be admitted.
  41. lizzo76

lizzo76

I'm genuinely not trying to be a jerk, but those GRE scores are not high. They're slightly above average, yes, but slightly above average does not off-set an extremely low GPA. If you could score in the 90+ percentile, then maybe it would make a significant difference at a good school. Being a bilingual latina might make a difference in certain regions (particularly in regions where hispanics do not make up the majority.)
  42. Watch Dog

Watch Dog

Can't you try just a little harder?

43. Califaith21

Califaith21

DPT / OTD
    I'm not disagreeing with your earlier comments, but wouldn't being Spanish speaker in general be in one's favor? Or perhaps just a bilingual occupational therapist for that matter. I'm not saying that being bilingual will negate lower GPA or GRE scores, but it could be a big determining factor in acceptance. Especially if personal statements and LOR's are outstanding.
  44. veggieswirl

veggieswirl

Rehab Sci Student [OTD]
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm not pretending like my GRE scores are high, but they are not below average. My GPA is a strong upward trend as well. I was simply happy to do alright on the GRE, hopefully well enough to be accepted. I am aware of the fact a low GPA is not negated by a high GRE, but it serves as an equalizer, especially if somebody majored in something easy and had a 4.0 from school with lots of grade inflation, and you were comparing them to somebody with a very low GPA, say 2.5, with a very difficult major from a school with lots of grade deflation. Lets give the 4.0 an 850 GRE and lets give the 2.5 an 1100, who would you take?
  45. lizzo76

lizzo76

I agree with you about trying to compare GPAs - the problem is, it can be very difficult to do that. A school may be "known" as being an easy school, with easy majors, and grade inflation, and another one may be known as being difficult. (Still, in the example you gave, a 2.5 is really inexcusable... the person was in the wrong major or never should have been admitted to the school, or is smart enough but fooled around and didn't do their work... in which case the low GPA cannot be attributed to the difficulty of the program.) In any case, the fact that someone got a 4.0 at the easy school in the easy major doesn't mean that at a different school they would not also have gotten a 4.0. And they may "test poorly" (although in most cases I don't buy that claim.) So, you can't really "weight" GPAs in that way. Doing really well in a really hard program pretty much means you would have done well in any program, but doing really well in a really easy program doesn't mean you would have done poorly in a harder program. (I think probably in most cases that would be the case, but that assumption simply cannot be made by admissions committees.)

You did suggest that your GRE was "higher" - that you were in the lower GPA and higher GRE category. If you have an average score, percentile-wise, that means that half the people who took the GRE did better than you did. If you're in, say, 60th percentile, 40% of people who took the GRE did better than you did. Looked at that way, the score doesn't look very good. It's good that you don't have a below-average score, but that doesn't mean you have a good score. Combined with a low GPA and low prereq GPA, it's not painting a good picture. If you were to have a very high GPA, then I might think you must have been in a really hard major at a hard school (or just take general knowledge tests well.)

The Spanish-speaking thing... it all depends. Spanish is not in demand everywhere, even though it is a major language in the US, and where there are a lot of Spanish speakers, there tend to be a lot of bilingual people, so it's not such an unusual skill. It's one of those somewhat iffy and intangible things. I'd actually bank on the "minority" advantage more than the Spanish-speaking ability, but again, it would depend on where you were applying. Where I grew up, for instance, French would be much more in demand, but a hispanic woman would be a minority snapped up by a lot of programs.

I'm not saying you're in terrible shape - there is a wide range of selectivity in OT programs. I'm just pointing out that you're in the "higher GRE" category only if you compare yourself to people with terrible scores. I know that sounds rude, but I am just being realistic. There is a lot of rah-rah cheerleading on here, with people pouncing on "negative posters." But think about it - this forum is solely dedicated to discussing the field of OT, with a main focus on admissions issues. As such, we should be as realistic as possible or else we are doing a disservice to other posters. If you (or anyone) thinks the discussion on here is bad, you should check out the Princeton Review's law school discussion board. People are vicious. It's mostly current college students who all imagine they will get into "Top 14" law schools (seemingly random number, but the top 14 schools are the group to which applicants aspire.) They're not admitted anywhere yet, but they will rip apart posters who are going to "TTTs" (third-tier toilets, which basically means any school outside of the top 14.) There is no room for people attending schools which are generally lower-ranked but top-ranked in certain areas, like marine law, environmental law, or intellectual property law. There's no acknowledgement that people turn down higher-ranked schools so they can pay $20K per year instead of $50K per year. The people are incredibly obnoxious and they ALL think they're going to graduate and make $200K to start. I think that here, even with a couple posters people find to be harsh, the environment is MUCH more civil than on that board.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  46. Watch Dog

Watch Dog

Not sure why the law school comparison is being brought up, lawyers are jerks and are training to be jerks, so they act like jerks on these boards. With a really good personal statement she stands a good chance to get into a good OT school. 1130 is a good enough score to get you considered and that's really all you are asking for. There are students who thought they would get in solely on their stats, but didn't because they effed the personal statement. This is not law school, you aren't trying to get into Harvard, take the good info from what is written. A lot of people like to toot their own horn on here.