Getting into PA school? Modest GPA, 19,000hrs HCE, heavy graduate sciences.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BoneDC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am considering applying to PA school. I am looking to expand my scope beyond physical medicine (manipulation, exercise, rehab, etc). I would like some feedback on what my chances of getting accepted are based on my profile.

I am a non-traditional student. I am 33 years old. I have been working in the healthcare field for the past 7 years as a chiropractor. I have a BS ‘00 with and overall undergraduate 2.94 GPA with a 2.86 science GPA, but a 3.31 GPA in my last 60 hours of coursework. Basically my freshman and sophomore years killed my GPA. I finished my doctorate degree ’04 with an overall 3.31 GPA, with a 3.25 science GPA, and a 3.50 GPA in my last 60hrs of coursework.

Chiropractic school was very rigorous. It was a five year curriculum crammed into 10 trimesters with an average course load of 25 hours per term. I have over 106 hours of biology, chemistry, and physics coursework, over 65 hours of ‘other’ science coursework (kinesiology, radiology, sports medicine, nutrition, etc) and over 42 hours of patient assessment/clinical diagnosis coursework. All which I think strengthens my application. With undergrad and graduate coursework combined I have an overall 3.17 GPA with a 3.12 science GPA. Not that great I realize.

I have over 19,000 hours direct patient care (13,000 as a chiropractor, 6,000 as a tech in a psych hospital). I have yet to take my GRE.

I guess my biggest concern is that the CASPA program does not take into account any ‘professional’ coursework when calculating overall GPA and if you just look at my undergrad GPA I have less than a 3.0 GPA, which most schools require as minimum. A few of the programs I have been looking at want a 3.0 overall as calculated by CASPA, OR a 3.0 in the last 60 hours of coursework.

The other concern I have is that my coursework is not as recent as some schools may like. Most schools want/give preference to coursework being complete in the past 5 years or require that you take at least one chemistry or biology in the past 5 years. Although is should be noted that I have been in school full time or employed in the healthcare field full time since completing my coursework.

So do I stand a chance? Does my clinical/healthcare experience and quantity of graduate level science coursework offset my modest GPA? If I scored well on my GRE would that help as well? I know there are a variety of factors that go into the selection process, but any feedback or insight would be helpful.Thx.

Members don't see this ad.

post this question at the pa forum at www.physicianassistantforum.com for a wider pa audience(there are only about 5 pa's who post here and 30,000 at the pa forum). we have several pa's who post there who are dc's .