Getting into pre-med program

Plamennn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
so I am not from the USA. I am from Bulgaria, Europe, if you don't actually know it. And I am interested in studying in the USA. Now I am at 10th grade and have just started preparing for admission. I would like to get into a pre-med program. I know that I have to take Sat, Sat2 and probably TOEFL. But I don't know what to do. So that is the first think I need help with.
Another thing is that I don't know any colleges or universities that offer that program. I mean I know the best ones, but my family don't have the money for it, except I get a scholarship. Scholarships, the third thing. If you know any places that offer scholarships for pre-med would be very helpful. Finally, I'd like to ask you if I have any chances getting in pre-med program when I am not from the USA. And how is my English by the way :laugh: ?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
so I am not from the USA. I am from Bulgaria, Europe, if you don't actually know it. And I am interested in studying in the USA. Now I am at 10th grade and have just started preparing for admission. I would like to get into a pre-med program. I know that I have to take Sat, Sat2 and probably TOEFL. But I don't know what to do. So that is the first think I need help with.
Another thing is that I don't know any colleges or universities that offer that program. I mean I know the best ones, but my family don't have the money for it, except I get a scholarship. Scholarships, the third thing. If you know any places that offer scholarships for pre-med would be very helpful. Finally, I'd like to ask you if I have any chances getting in pre-med program when I am not from the USA. And how is my English by the way :laugh: ?
Bulgaria! Very nice!
Congratulations on deciding to study your university in the United States. It is a very big step, but it can be done, nevertheless. Allow me to explain the small-scale roadmap.
Institutions in the US don't have pre-medical programs, they just follow a curriculum suitable for medical school admissions and give it the "Pre-Med" designation. This curriculum encompasses classes that are the requirements to attend a medical institution, such as general chemistry, general biology, statistics, and english. This means that your concentration of studies can be the visual arts, language, and literature without conflicting with your medical plans.
Tests
Before entering any university, the prospect student should take a standardized examination. This examination can be the Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT), or the ACT depending on your preferred institution - SAT is the most preferred test out there.
SAT 2 is a subject-dependent examination, which means that the test itself will assess your abilities in either maths, biology, chemistry, latin, among others. This branch of tests is not required for admission to university. [some universities require TOEFL and 2 subject-based SAT tests only, to be considered for admission. Great!]
TOEFL- The TOEFL is very important for any applicant whose language is not, directly nor indirectly, english. This is required. It will evaluate your comprehension and critical skills in the english language, as well as vocabulary and oral expression.
Colleges and Universities
There are many colleges and universities that accept international applicants. A Google search will surely give you a list.
When choosing a university there are many factors to consider: tuition, programs available, and scholarship opportunities, which brings up another interesting point.
Scholarships
There are webpages that allow you to search scholarships, such as Fastweb.com
For international students, the number of scholarships is significantly reduced but that doesn't mean there is not a chance. Every institution's webpage should have a designated "International Applicant" page, just be sure to look at every detail before deciding to apply. Also, their admissions team has a phone number you can contact, which can also direct you in financial aid and scholarships.

International students are a great deal to the student body of any university. They add diversity and share their experiences with others. So, they are always greatly welcomed.

I hope this information helps in any way,
let me get you started with an institution I am very familiar with:

MIT International Portal
Tel: 617.253.3400

Welcome Home!

Last edited:
Ok thanks for the information. But do you have any advices for me. I mean when do you think I have to take that Sats and TOEFL ( I am at 10th grade now ) and how many time it will take me to prepare for them. Something else is that I know that in the USA the colleges require recommendations. What do you suggest? Isn't fastweb.com only for USA citizens. I mean the scholarships given there. Aren't they only for USA citizens. And finally what should I do at this moment to prepare myself?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok thanks for the information. But do you have any advices for me. I mean when do you think I have to take that Sats and TOEFL ( I am at 10th grade now ) and how many time it will take me to prepare for them. Something else is that I know that in the USA the colleges require recommendations. What do you suggest? Isn't fastweb.com only for USA citizens. I mean the scholarships given there. Aren't they only for USA citizens. And finally what should I do at this moment to prepare myself?

It doesn't take a lot of time to prepare for an SAT exam - 1 month?. In the US, students take their SATs in the summer between junior (11th) and senior (12th) year.
You are fine this year and should start preparing for next year. Make a list of universities you wish to apply, and the requirements they ask for. Most importantly, the average scores they accept!
Now, be cognizant of the fact many of these tests have deadlines. So, for example: for 2013, here is a list of times, dates, and places where the TOEFL iBT will be administered: TOEFL iBT
Having said that, start googling and good luck!

Also, call the admissions offices if you have questions regarding their programs and international requirements. Another good point is your student visa, this process is very different from that of a school application; so, get ready!

Last edited:
It doesn't take a lot of time to prepare for an SAT exam - 1 month?. In the US, students take their SATs in the summer between junior (11th) and senior (12th) year.
You are fine this year and should start preparing for next year. Make a list of universities you wish to apply, and the requirements they ask for. Most importantly, the average scores they accept!
Now, be cognizant of the fact many of these tests have deadlines. So, for example: for 2013, here is a list of times, dates, and places where the TOEFL iBT will be administered. Having said that, start googling and good luck!

Also, call the admissions offices if you have questions regarding their programs and international requirements. Another good point is your student visa, this process is very different from that of a school application; so, get ready!
:thumbup: