Getting into School- A post-bacc Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Section3Kid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow students and professionals. I want to share with you my background and ask for your advice. I started my undergrad in my school's biology pre professional program, after taking my sophomore fall semester off to complete basic/infantry school for the Army National Guard I had a rough time with my personal life. Retrospectively I was just a naive kid worrying about petty problems that really should have not have affected me to that extent; and I didn't know how to manage stress back then. After a dismal sophomore year, both academically and emotionally, I switched to the Health Service Administration major. Fast forward a few years, and now I am completing an internship at a local multipractice clinic, and can't help but think about sticking around and completing my prerequisites for medicine. I've always been inspired to help others, it's the main reason why I was a boy scout, and one of the reasons I enlisted. Working the clerical work is all well and good, but every-time I talk to the family practice doctors at the clinic I can feel their enthusiasm, energy, and passion for their work and just get excited myself. On the clerical end, it's just a bunch of politics, office drama, people that constantly discuss how much they hate their job, and petty nonsense that I would just rather not be apart of. So to that extent, I ask what would you do in my situation? I have a 3.0 at the moment, and after two more years of natural science courses, if I do very well, could put myself at ~3.5. As far as my finances I can continue to go to school for free, thanks to my tuition wavier. If I were to pick, I would go into general practice, and focus on impoverished rural communities, as that's the type of location I grew up in. Thanks for any responses in advance!

Members don't see this ad.