Getting into the routine (full-time studying)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arc5005

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you guys start your routine? I'm trying to slowly get my self into the habit of waking up early and studying for 6-8 hours a day, but I haven't been able to yet. I just had to uninstall League of Legends, because I was addicted the last 2 weeks, even though I initially planned to only play 2 games a day. Where do you study? What time did you wake up? Did you give yourself a set amount of time to eat wake up, get come coffee/tea, shower, so that you could hit the books by like 8 or 9 am?

My plan (I just don't know how to execute it):
M to F
Alarm set for 7:30 or 8
Start studying by 9
study 9 - 4
break for 2-3 hours.
2-3 nights a week - additional studying in the evening for 2-3 hours w/ a friend.

Members don't see this ad.

That's a great start. For anyone who needs some guidance, my suggestions are the following:

1. Have a weekly to-do list that includes all the chapters, problems, etc that you plan to finish that week. Make it reasonable. Don't put too much the first couple of weeks. Gradually increase the workload weekly but keep in mind that it's totally fine to ease it up certain weeks. If you have a wedding to attend or some event, plan ahead and make those weeks easier. The MCAT is a marathon, you do not want to burnout. I also suggest that you lower the workload as you get closer and closer to your test date.

2. Every night, create a daily to-do list for the next day where you transfer all of the tasks you think you can finish from your weekly list. Your goal for the day is to finish anything on the daily to-do list. Put a checkmark next to it when it's done (it's the best feeling in the world). This list can also include personal activities or errands. I don't set aside an amount of time to study or to complete a task since each task varies. My ultimate goal is to finish those tasks and if I am done early, I stop studying.

3. Set a time to stop studying each day. So if you know you are going to start at 9, you should set a time to finish studying no matter what. Let's say 4. At 4, regardless of what is done on your daily to-do list, you should stop studying. This will motivate you to study till 4 and get everything done on your daily to-do list. This also helps prevent wasting time at the library and using facebook or snapchat. If you just tell yourself that you'll stay at the library all day and not set limits, you will not be nearly as productive. Since you have "all day" you will get lazy and let distractions get in the way. You could also set multiple designated start and stop-times throughout the day in case you plan to study at night.

4. Library is for studying. Home is for relaxing. That's the general rule of thumb unless the library is too far from you or you're not comfortable there. Even when you are not at the library, you should be finishing all the problems you planned to do for the day.

5. Take one day completely off every 10 days. Plan for this day in your weekly to-do list.

6. You if you do not finish certain tasks from your daily to-do list, transfer it to the next days to-do list. Make each daily to-do list reasonable. If you finish all tasks prior to your designated stop-studying time, you are free to leave the library earlier.

7. Do not neglect friends, family, or exercise. Resume life like normal after your t0-do list is done. After your designated stop-time, go workout or watch a movie. It's not healthy to simply cut life for 3-4 months. If anything, it will hurt you. I also suggest that you do not tell your friends or family that you are studying for the MCAT. Stay away from this discussion as much as possible since it adds extra pressure that you do not need. The MCAT is just like any other exam. If anyone asks, just say you're studying bio or physics- whatever you're studying that day.

Reactions: 1 user
That's a great start. For anyone who needs some guidance, my suggestions are the following:

1. Have a weekly to-do list that includes all the chapters, problems, etc that you plan to finish that week. Make it reasonable. Don't put too much the first couple of weeks. Gradually increase the workload weekly but keep in mind that it's totally fine to ease it up certain weeks. If you have a wedding to attend or some event, plan ahead and make those weeks easier. The MCAT is a marathon, you do not want to burnout. I also suggest that you lower the workload as you get closer and closer to your test date.

2. Every night, create a daily to-do list for the next day where you transfer all of the tasks you think you can finish from your weekly list. Your goal for the day is to finish anything on the daily to-do list. Put a checkmark next to it when it's done (it's the best feeling in the world). This list can also include personal activities or errands. I don't set aside an amount of time to study or to complete a task since each task varies. My ultimate goal is to finish those tasks and if I am done early, I stop studying.

3. Set a time to stop studying each day. So if you know you are going to start at 9, you should set a time to finish studying no matter what. Let's say 4. At 4, regardless of what is done on your daily to-do list, you should stop studying. This will motivate you to study till 4 and get everything done on your daily to-do list. This also helps prevent wasting time at the library and using facebook or snapchat. If you just tell yourself that you'll stay at the library all day and not set limits, you will not be nearly as productive. Since you have "all day" you will get lazy and let distractions get in the way. You could also set multiple designated start and stop-times throughout the day in case you plan to study at night.

4. Library is for studying. Home is for relaxing. That's the general rule of thumb unless the library is too far from you or you're not comfortable there. Even when you are not at the library, you should be finishing all the problems you planned to do for the day.

5. Take one day completely off every 10 days. Plan for this day in your weekly to-do list.

6. You if you do not finish certain tasks from your daily to-do list, transfer it to the next days to-do list. Make each daily to-do list reasonable. If you finish all tasks prior to your designated stop-studying time, you are free to leave the library earlier.

7. Do not neglect friends, family, or exercise. Resume life like normal after your t0-do list is done. After your designated stop-time, go workout or watch a movie. It's not healthy to simply cut life for 3-4 months. If anything, it will hurt you. I also suggest that you do not tell your friends or family that you are studying for the MCAT. Stay away from this discussion as much as possible since it adds extra pressure that you do not need. The MCAT is just like any other exam. If anyone asks, just say you're studying bio or physics- whatever you're studying that day.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm a non-trad, and while I took some classes last year, I took some of my classes 4-6 years ago (Bio I/II, Chem I, Physics I) and I'll need to do a lot of review in the prep books and/or khanacademy.org. Should I start my schedule earlier than 2 months before my exam date? should I give myself 3 months of full-time studying to adequately review material, before diving into practice questions/exams?

If you haven't seen the material in over 6 years, I highly recommend starting 6-9 months in advance. You need at least 2 months to review the content- potentially more time if it's really rusty. You need around 3-4 months to practice.

The actual number of months you need to study really depends on many factors: How much are you going to study everyday? How much have you forgotten? Did you do well in your courses? Although the AAMC does not require any premedical course to take the exam (not even chemistry I), you will put yourself at a significant disadvantage if you do not know the basics.

I highly recommend that you use the AAMC topic outline to gauge what you know. Khan is a great start.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you haven't seen the material in over 6 years, I highly recommend starting 6-9 months in advance. You need at least 2 months to review the content- potentially more time if it's really rusty. You need around 3-4 months to practice.

The actual number of months you need to study really depends on many factors: How much are you going to study everyday? How much have you forgotten? Did you do well in your courses? Although the AAMC does not require any premedical course to take the exam (not even chemistry I), you will put yourself at a significant disadvantage if you do not know the basics.

I highly recommend that you use the AAMC topic outline to gauge what you know. Khan is a great start.

I took Bio I & II, Chem I, Physics I during my undergrad about 4-5 years ago. I took Chem II, Physics II, Organic I & II, Intro to Psych within the past 1.5 years & currently taking Biochem I now. I've received A's and B's in all of my pre-reqs.

9 months should be fine. I always suggest a full month to study any discipline you are weak or rusty in. So depending on that, plan accordingly!

oh god. I'm very under prepared then. I was planning on taking the exam in april or may.

There are so many factors so I can never give you an exact time to prepare. These are just general tips! You may be more than ready by April or May. It really depends on your progress month to month. I suggest that you study this month and see how the material / practice goes and then adjust your schedule accordingly.

I think Jack hit the nail on the head. Definitely take a day off every now and then. I rarely took breaks and I realized as I was studying I burnt out and literally had no motivation to study nearing my test date. I would also say sleep is a very important factor: you need lots of it. Try to sleep and wake up the same time everyday and towards the last week start sleeping really early and waking up around 5:30-6ish. I had such a routine that I ate the same thing at the same time everyday for a week leading up to the test. Routine is everything but it's okay if you don't finish everything on your list. I certainly didn't and I feel like even if I did, it wouldn't make a difference because I had studied so much already before.

Like everyone else said, don't let yourself burn out! I studied for about 3 months, and for me it helped to be flexible. In other words, make a plan for what you're going to study, but don't force yourself to study something you hate for hours on end. My general schedule was to spend an hour each morning on physics, bio, and chem (I used the old TPR books). Then after lunch I would do the same thing again in the afternoon. That makes it more bearable to get through dry/boring sections, since you know it's only for an hour.
Also, try to find ways to study that are fun. Sitting down with a review guide and taking practice exams are both crucial parts of the studying process, but there are plenty of other ways to review. I liked getting book work and passages out of the way before dinner, and then in the evenings I could relax and watch Khan academy videos for psych/soc. CrashCourse on Youtube has some great videos as well, and I liked the physiology ones especially. Plus there are plenty of websites with standalone questions like "MCAT question of the day," and those are good practice without sapping too much of your mental energy.
Key point being - studying can be boring, but it doesn't have to be! Some people like to stick to a rigid schedule, but don't be afraid to branch out and let your study strategies evolve as you go.